Attack of the Clones

Poetic Chaos

Hella fetch.
Reaction score
Its got a bad reputation but I think it has arguably the best moment in the franchise and, no, it's not the Yoda pwnage. It's the ending when Palpatine is looking over the Clone Army and the score transitions into The Imperial March. It's the first major time you get a sense of "This is the beginning of the end." And that's what you're supposed to feel watching it. I think that scene did it's job better than any other throughout the series.

No, the movie sucks. One shot can't redeem a movie. It's number 5 in the series in my opinion, didn't think things could get worse in terms of quality, then I saw Revenge of the Sith.

i think all 3 of the prequels have a bad rap. i liked all 3 of them... not that much, but still.

people say that they're corny and cheesy and badly acted and whatever else, but so are the original three movies, in my opinion.

amazingfantasy15 said:
No, the movie sucks. One shot can't redeem a movie. It's number 5 in the series in my opinion, didn't think things could get worse in terms of quality, then I saw Revenge of the Sith.

I didn't say that shot redeemed it, I'm just saying it's one of the best in the entire series.

The one thing that George Lucas did to eff up the prequels was killing off Darth Maul, any good writer knows that you can't kill off the major bad ass villian.

Re-watched the first half hour the other day, wow, terrible :up:

George Lucas is over-rated

I think all 3 of them are pretty bad, and the only reason he's gotten away with turning out such crap is the fan base

The problem with the prequels was the extreme overuse of CG sets and characters, mis-casting of the characters, and some cheesy ass dialogue... Which all can be rounded into one statement, George Lucas shouldn't have directed the prequels :)

Mr. Credible said:
i think all 3 of the prequels have a bad rap. i liked all 3 of them... not that much, but still.

people say that they're corny and cheesy and badly acted and whatever else, but so are the original three movies, in my opinion.

I think the difference is that the OT had stong, interesting, believable characters and dynamics, as well as a fun mysterioso quality.

I liked Episode 1 much better than Attack of the Clones...at least Ep1 captured the spirit of the old films and had a new twist with it.

Ep2 is boring......

ep3 is only good like in the last hour or so.....

Here;s my scores of them out of 10.

ep1: 6.5
ep2: 5.5
ep3. 7.5

ep4: 8
ep5. 8.5
ep6: 7.5

SpHinX said:
The problem with the prequels was the extreme overuse of CG sets and characters, mis-casting of the characters, and some cheesy ass dialogue... Which all can be rounded into one statement, George Lucas shouldn't have directed the prequels :)

That I can agree on. Lucas could've easily went with Vancouver for the skyviews of Coruscant over that dreadful CG stuff.

The CG sets completely ruined the prequels for me. They lost the feel of the originals. They took you to a galaxy far, far away, but they felt real because everything looked real. The aliens were all done with makeup and were believable. The prequels were too cartoonish and didn't take you away into that fantasy world. They needed to be more gritty.

There are plenty of things I could point out that ruined the prequles, but that would take all day :) This is just one of the main things.

Lazlo Panaflex said:
The one thing that George Lucas did to eff up the prequels was killing off Darth Maul, any good writer knows that you can't kill off the major bad ass villian.

Not only did he kill off the coolest villian in the 1st movie, but he killed off the coolest one in the 2nd: Jango Fett.

By the 3rd movie there were no cool villians left. No, not even Palatine. He could at least have waited until the 3rd movie to kill Jango.

Could you imagine how cool it would have been to pit Vader against Maul.

It really think Lucas went out of his way to not give the fans the very things that were in our wildest dreams with this series.

Thats why I give Lucas the Boob of the decade award.

Vader vs Maul?

I think I just wet myself

It's got my favourite action sequence of the trilogy in it and i like the film:up:

raybia said:
Not only did he kill off the coolest villian in the 1st movie, but he killed off the coolest one in the 2nd: Jango Fett.

By the 3rd movie there were no cool villians left. No, not even Palatine. He could at least have waited until the 3rd movie to kill Jango.

I agree,Grievous was the worst of the Prequel villains and he got the finale,ass backwards IMO

Poetic Chaos said:
I think it has arguably the best moment in the franchise and, no, it's not the Yoda pwnage.
Surely you aren't suggesting that the Yoda fight was cool :rolleyes:

I thought CLones was the fifth best of the series... had a decent plot but it was boring... the CGI was just way too over done...

Attack Of The Clones is the only film of the entire six that I haven't seen, and judging from what I've heard about it, I'm not sure I want to.

I think a lot of people rag on the prequels needlessly, there was never any way they could live up to people's memories of the first 3. They just are not going to give you that "special feeling" you get when you think about the originals.

However a friend of mine did discuss once what some people have mentioned here. They should of let Darth Maul escape and not be killed off till E3. You could have inserted Maul into Dooku's role easy and made him the main visable villan for the prequels. You have him die the exact same way, Palpatine arranges them to fight each other and Anakin wastes him, thus become Sidious' new apprentice.

The one big thing the prequels missed that the OT had - a re-occuring villian that we cared about. Maul died way too fast, Dooku kinda just comes out of nowhere and has about 20 min of screen time total, Grevious is kinda cool but again just comes out of nowhere and is disposable. There is no "FINALY that guy got his!" moment.

Y'know, as a whole, I really don't think the prequels are that bad. While they're mediocre to be sure, a think most of the bashing, and most of the disappointment (my own included) surrounding them, comes more from the fact of how incomparable they are to the originals. If they were, y'know, random sci-fi movies on their own, they might a couple good throwaway summer movies, but because they're Star Wars, because they follow 3 of the greatest movies ever made, they're unacceptable efforts. And...they sorta are. IMO, at least.

You make a good point, CConn. The sequels don't suck ass, but they do compared to the originals. Having Star Wars in the name should be a seal of the most excellent quality. None of the prequels live up to it. Looking at them seperately they are not bad.

Lazlo Panaflex said:

George Lucas is horrible at writing bad ass villains. Just look at what he's done:
  • Darth Maul - killed by a cheap slice by Obi-Wan
  • Grievous - shot by Obi-Wan (a guy who calls blasters random and clumsy)
  • Boba Fett - jetpack malfunctions after a blind Han Solo hits it; comically sending him into the Sarlac pit.
  • Every Stormtrooper - These guys are supposed to be the most elite soldiers in the galaxy and they get their asses handed to them by a bunch of two-foot teddy bears.

boywonder13 said:
I liked Episode 1 much better than Attack of the Clones...at least Ep1 captured the spirit of the old films and had a new twist with it.

Ep2 is boring......

ep3 is only good like in the last hour or so.....

I felt the same way. Ep I had a more classic feel to it, probably b/c of little CGI (compared to the sequels). Liam Neeson in it was also great.

Ep 2 was really boring and the lightsaber duels weren't very thrilling. Ep 3 is very slow but picks up at the end, although that lightsaber fight isnt that great either. I still prefer Luke vs Vader in ESB.

I like that scene, though part of me thinks its a bit too heavy handed.

I mean before hand you see all these things are are CLEARLY early versons of Imperial weapons seen in the OT. Clonetroopers look like Stormtroopers, the Republic Crusiers look like Star Destroyers, and you see early versrions of AT-ATs in the final battle.

While it was a cool scene, you didn't need it to go "Oh, ohhhhhhh my god I get it the Republic is becoming the Empire!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"