Awards/nominations?

KevTravels

Superhero
Reaction score
I see Black Panther scoring a lot of MTV and People Choice Award nominations.

but do you see a Golden Globe or SAG award nomination?

Maybe, maybe not. I still can't believe Twilight beat out TDK. Some of the wins over the years make me wonder if MTV might secretly have a stake in it's win.

We still have Infinity Wars coming, and something tells me that movie will end up stealing BP thunder in the end.....

Maybe, maybe not. I still can't believe Twilight beat out TDK. Some of the wins over the years make me wonder if MTV might secretly have a stake in it's win.

We still have Infinity Wars coming, and something tells me that movie will end up stealing BP thunder in the end.....
Well for MTV, I figure BP would somehow be entered in this year's awards with Infinity being entered for next year. But you def have a point.

It could win an Oscar for costume design. I mean it might really have a chance.

Last edited:
It really should have an Oscar nomination for Costume Design next year. That aspect was tremendous.

I think it's a shoe in for costumes for sure.

Talk of BP, or Screenplay etc. is... It's a really good super hero action drama and it has an important wider cultural aspect, but just like with Wonder Woman let's not lose our heads.

It really should have an Oscar nomination for Costume Design next year. That aspect was tremendous.

I would say production design as well. The costumes went hand in hand with the sets and props.

I think it's a shoe in for costumes for sure.

Talk of BP, or Screenplay etc. is... It's a really good super hero action drama and it has an important wider cultural aspect, but just like with Wonder Woman let's not lose our heads.

Except BP is better and actually has far greater critical acclaim than WW did.

BP's Metacritic score and word of mouth is greater than any comic book movie in a while.

The biggest hurdle for it is being a February release.

IW will be great but it's not stealing thunder of any kind from BP. If anything, right now, BP is the one hyping up IW.

Pete Hammond from Deadline

http://deadline.com/2018/03/oscars-...y-oldman-eva-marie-saint-analysis-1202311545/

Speaking of Dunkirk, I caught up with a very happy Christopher Nolan at the Govs Ball and showed off my lunch box. His brilliant WWII epic took three Oscars, earning him many shout-outs from winners onstage. It was the second-best haul of the night after Shape’s four, even though there was disappointment that Hoyte van Hoytema’s cinematography wasn’t one of them. “So what’s gonna win next year?” Nolan asked me half-jokingly. He predicted Black Panther will be among the Best Picture nominees in 2019, which would make it the first comic-book movie to break that ceiling with the Academy. I reminded him that it was because of The Dark Knight’s exclusion that the Academy went to 10 (and now up to 10) nominees to get movies like that included, but to no avail so far. A top Disney exec told me flat out that they would be campaigning not only Black Panther for the big prize but also the upcoming Mary Poppins Returns (from director Rob Marshall), which he was raving about, particularly for star Emily Blunt. who he says knocks it out of the park in the role for which Julie Andrews already has an Oscar. Lin-Manuel Miranda co-stars. and he says there are a lot of great new songs in it as well.

That's the only award it should be up for.

Production Design
Makeup and Hairstyling
Best Adapted Screenplay

Won't completely rule out Best Picture. If ever a CBM could break through in that category after TDK was snubbed, it's this one.

Production Design, Hair and Make Up and Costume Design I can see. To get a Best Picture nod though you generally need to be in consideration for Editing, Cinematography and Screenplay and this is where the films weakness are. VFX aren't overly impressive either. Cast is really strong as an ensemble but only Jordan's performance is a genuine standout. TDK got that close because it marked off most of that criteria, and yet it still came up short. A film can't just be a cultural phenomenon to be a serious contender, it's got to mark off other boxes too and this is where I feel the films chances diminish.

Last edited:
The cinematography is very good and the screenplay is absolutely one of the film's strengths. Not sure why it would be counted as weakness.

TDK coming up short is exactly why the BP category was expanded, this increasing the chances of a film like Black Panther getting a nomination.

IW will be great but it's not stealing thunder of any kind from BP. If anything, right now, BP is the one hyping up IW.

Huh? IW had over 200 m views for it's trailer in 24 hrs and has been a film 10 years in the making. BP is a phenom, but let's not get crazy here. It could definitely boost IW even higher by bringing in it's incredibly diverse audience, many of whom may not have gone prior :up:

Production Design, Hair and Make Up and Costume Design I can see. To get a Best Picture nod though you generally need to be in consideration for Editing, Cinematography and Screenplay and this is where the films weakness are. VFX aren't overly impressive either. Cast is really strong as an ensemble but only Jordan's performance is a genuine standout. TDK got that close because it marked off most of that criteria, and yet it still came up short. A film can't just be a cultural phenomenon to be a serious contender, it's got to mark off other boxes too and this is where I feel the films chances diminish.

The Screenplay wasn't a weakness. The issue I think is the Feb release date. Often that is a death nail. But, given the significance of the film, I can see them squeezing it in. I think this film has had an even bigger impact than Wonder Woman did and will be harder to ignore.

The cinematography is very good and the screenplay is absolutely one of the film's strengths. Not sure why it would be counted as weakness.

TDK coming up short is exactly why the BP category was expanded, this increasing the chances of a film like Black Panther getting a nomination.

And yet this is exactly what hasn’t happened in the nearly 10 years since expansion. I wouldn’t even classify BP as Marvel’s best movie let alone a Best Picture contender, too many holes IMO to be a serious contender, not to mention it’s going to have to contend with its own follow up movie in the Avengers in a few weeks time. What if that movie is better? Then what?

And yet this is exactly what hasn’t happened in the nearly 10 years since expansion. I wouldn’t even classify BP as Marvel’s best movie let alone a Best Picture contender, too many holes IMO to be a serious contender, not to mention it’s going to have to contend with its own follow up movie in the Avengers in a few weeks time. What if that movie is better? Then what?

Black Panther is the better bet. I don't think Infinity War has any chance. Black Panther at least was a blockbuster the highlighted a section of the film going community blockbusters don't often recognize, and it became a movement. That gives it a shot. Albiet, I think it ends up falling short, but I think it has a chance.

IMO. There are a number of Academy members with IMO's as well. They may feel differently. You can't just push your thoughts and wishes on Academy voters and assume. I don't think it'll be nominated either, but it's got the best chance we've seen in awhile.

If IW is great then I'm sure there will be people who feel it's better, but it won't have the social/political resonance that BP does, which the Academy will favor. I also doubt it becomes the critical darling that BP is.

Black Panther is the better bet. I don't think Infinity War has any chance. Black Panther at least was a blockbuster the highlighted a section of the film going community blockbusters don't often recognize, and it became a movement. That gives it a shot. Albiet, I think it ends up falling short, but I think it has a chance.

I think the other issue is it’s still a very superhero-y movie compared to TDK and Logan. The expanded best picture field really hasn’t done any favours to genre movies since its inception, so regardless of people’s feelings on technical side of things which are purely subjective it’s hard for me to see how this is suddenly the movie to break through when the Academy has had countless opportunities over the nearly 10 years since expansion to nominate dozens of worthy big budget movies but have failed to do so.

I wouldn't be shocked if something like that happened. I don't know about best pic but I do think it will get more noms than your average comicbook/mcu film. Visual effects, costume design, makeup, music, more tech cats, etc. I didn't think they would nom Get Out or Mad Max but they did so who knows. Strange things happen.

I can see it getting a Golden Globe or SAG nod for Best Picture

Maybe MBJ might get few Critics Choice nominee for Best Supporting Actor

and Coogler might get a directing nod from the DGA

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back