Awards/nominations?

And yet this is exactly what hasn’t happened in the nearly 10 years since expansion. I wouldn’t even classify BP as Marvel’s best movie let alone a Best Picture contender, too many holes IMO to be a serious contender, not to mention it’s going to have to contend with its own follow up movie in the Avengers in a few weeks time. What if that movie is better? Then what?

The point is, expansion means it has more of a chance, not less of one. And many other people, fans and critics, would classify it as Marvel's best. Hence, the rave reviews, historic box office success and talk of Oscars nominations. Whether or not Infinity War is better is ultimately subjective but safe to say it will have zero chance of garnering any major Oscar nominations. BP is in the discussion exactly because of its strong screenplay. There is a depth and nuance within the narrative that transcends the genre, or the superhero aspects of the movie.

I would say production design as well. The costumes went hand in hand with the sets and props.
yep. and if movies like Suicide Squad and Deadpool can get nominations off sheer buzz (negative buzz for Suicide Squad) and the worse movie actually win for something, a movie with some actually great designs like BP can.

I absolutely think that Costume Design, Production Design, and Original Score are all in play. I think there's a decent chance at a Best Picture nod as well. It's so annoying how salty some people get over this movie getting such great critical recognition, though.

Definitely doesn't deserve best picture, or director/actor stuff, solid & proficient as the film is.

Could definitely see it actually winning the production design one though.

The point is, expansion means it has more of a chance, not less of one. And many other people, fans and critics, would classify it as Marvel's best. Hence, the rave reviews, historic box office success and talk of Oscars nominations. Whether or not Infinity War is better is ultimately subjective but safe to say it will have zero chance of garnering any major Oscar nominations. BP is in the discussion exactly because of its strong screenplay. There is a depth and nuance within the narrative that transcends the genre, or the superhero aspects of the movie.

But that's been done for practically every recent MCU film. At least, in the past few years. BBC article called Ragnarok- "Film review: Thor Ragnarok is Marvel's best yet.". Mark Millar said Homecoming was Marvel's best film. And of course the same was said about Civil War when it was released.

So being called Marvel Studios' best when they continue to bat 1000 and put out quality products isn't exactly huge praise since it'll be surpassed by what comes next.

I absolutely think that Costume Design, Production Design, and Original Score are all in play. I think there's a decent chance at a Best Picture nod as well. It's so annoying how salty some people get over this movie getting such great critical recognition, though.
Agree.

This is what confuses me. Its fine if people didn't love the movie, but its weird to see people openly ignoring the critical reception when discussing its Oscar chances.

There are plenty of movies I didn't love, but understood why it deserves Oscar acclaim or consideration. Primarily because critics and Hollywood loved it.

So being called Marvel Studios' best when they continue to bat 1000 and put out quality products isn't exactly huge praise since it'll be surpassed by what comes next.

It's going to be pretty hard to surpass Black Panther's critical acclaim, though.

RT Adjusted Scores:

Black Panther 118.792%
Thor: Ragnarok 106.6%
Homecoming 106.024%

It's going to be pretty hard to surpass Black Panther's critical acclaim, though.

RT Adjusted Scores:

Black Panther 118.792%
Thor: Ragnarok 106.6%
Homecoming 106.024%

Breaking it down

8.9 Top Critic Rating on RT
88 on Metacritic
97% on RT

That criteria merged together..

That's better than Get Out, Shape of Water, Three Billboards, The Post and The Darkest Hour. A head of a few comfortably

People are ignoring how much critical overwhelming praise this movie has.

If its a weak year it has a shot for a nom. Critically its comfortably Marvel's best reviewed film

Critics don't necessarily mean much. Otherwise Pixar would have some best picture winners.

Mjölnir;36401961 said:
Critics don't necessarily mean much. Otherwise Pixar would have some best picture winners.

There's going to be more bias against animation than live action..

There's going to be more bias against animation than live action..

There's no abundance of best picture winners on the all time top list on RT either. The critics don't sit in the Academy and I wouldn't go by them in order to estimate which films get nominated. Several films that were better reviewed than some BP nominees were most likely not even close.

If BP gets nominated I'd put that on the relevance for the current cultural climate in the US.

But we've also had several big genre and IP films that have had the same nuance that have been overlooked. In the 10 years since expansion we've had maybe, what, 5 or 6 genre films nominated out of a possible 100 places? They clearly don't care about popular movies.

Mjölnir;36402111 said:
There's no abundance of best picture winners on the all time top list on RT either. The critics don't sit in the Academy and I wouldn't go by them in order to estimate which films get nominated. Several films that were better reviewed than some BP nominees were most likely not even close.

If BP gets nominated I'd put that on the relevance for the current cultural climate in the US.

The Shape of Water, a genre movie, has just won Best Picture at the Academy Awards; I don't see why BP can't get nominated next year as well.

I think the other issue is it’s still a very superhero-y movie compared to TDK and Logan. The expanded best picture field really hasn’t done any favours to genre movies since its inception, so regardless of people’s feelings on technical side of things which are purely subjective it’s hard for me to see how this is suddenly the movie to break through when the Academy has had countless opportunities over the nearly 10 years since expansion to nominate dozens of worthy big budget movies but have failed to do so.

Yeah I never bought into that fantasy that TDK somehow shocked the Academy into expanding the field. They didn't think TDK was among the top 5 films that year so why would they panic because a film that had no chance at the win got left out?

If it was because they felt they needed to make room for popular box office hits to boost TV ratings they certainly haven't come close to doing that either. (and ratings continue to nosedive)

Take a look at the 2010s and tell me where there are any movies that remind you of TDK. If anything the expanded field just gave them more room to put in their "important" films that the public ignores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture#2010s

The Shape of Water, a genre movie, has just won Best Picture at the Academy Awards; I don't see why BP can't get nominated next year as well.

I didn't say it can't (I even gave a reason for why it could), I said reviews don't have much to do with it.

Yeah I never bought into that fantasy that TDK somehow shocked the Academy into expanding the field. They didn't think TDK was among the top 5 films that year so why would they panic because a film that had no chance at the win got left out?

If it was because they felt they needed to make room for popular box office hits to boost TV ratings they certainly haven't come close to doing that either. (and ratings continue to nosedive)

Take a look at the 2010s and tell me where there are any movies that remind you of TDK. If anything the expanded field just gave them more room to put in their "important" films that the public ignores.

The people that increased the number of nominees are not the ones that decide what the nominees are. The Academy votes for who should get nominated, so the increased number could very well be to increase the chance that some more widely popular film gets nominated. The "important" films already got in as they are the ones that win.

The ratings aren't on a continuous decline either. This was the first year that dropped below the 2008 ratings, so clearly it had gone up in between. The awards shouldn't be about ratings though. It's not about the Academy pandering to the masses, it's about all members actually voting for what they think was best.

It's not fantasy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/movies/25oscars.html

In a surprise announcement the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Wednesday that it would double the number of nominees for the best-picture Academy Award to 10 from 5, returning to a practice it used more than a half-century ago when the number of films released was larger.

The move constitutes the most radical revision of the Oscar-night ritual in recent memory.

“We will be casting our net wide,” Sidney Ganis, the academy’s president, said in announcing the change at a morning news conference at the group’s headquarters here.

In a question-and-answer session that followed the announcement Mr. Ganis said, “I would not be telling you the truth if I said the words ‘Dark Knight’ did not come up.”

This year “The Dark Knight,” a critically acclaimed blockbuster fantasy, did not make the final list of nominees that included “Frost/Nixon,” “Milk,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “The Reader” and the eventual winner, “Slumdog Millionaire.”

None of those films were as widely seen as “The Dark Knight” or the animated “Wall-E,” another favorite that was snubbed by the best-picture category, adding heat to a debate about whether the Oscar voters had drifted too far from the moviegoing public.

Mr. Ganis said that no changes had been made to other Oscar categories. He also emphasized that the nominees would not be subdivided, as with the Golden Globes, which are awarded for best drama as well as best comedy or musical. All 10 nominees will compete for one best-picture award.

Mr. Ganis said that the deliberations leading to the change began in earnest after this year’s show, which in February drew a larger audience than in the past thanks in part to an effort by its producers, Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, to include widely publicized tributes to popular films that were not in contention.

TDK was a big influence on the expansion, the problem is as you say nothing has changed. Inception, Gravity, The Martian, Arrival and Mad Max are the only genre films on that list, 4 of which are sci-fi movies and only one promoted as a genuine blockbuster. 5 movies total out of 90 places.

It's because the expansion was just to increase the chance of a bigger film getting on there and drawing more attention. Those that made the change aren't all the ones voting so the opinions of the Academy haven't changed.

Not that it matters since the Academy Awards are just the opinions of a bunch of people in the industry. That has no objective worth and shouldn't be treated with any more reverence than our own opinoins.

Im not sure this movie is actually Oscar Best Picture worthy. It's a solid movie, and very entertaining, but that doesnt mean it should be nominated. Critically its Marvel's best film, but I'd say Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Civil War were better.

Im not sure this movie is actually Oscar Best Picture worthy. It's a solid movie, and very entertaining, but that doesnt mean it should be nominated. Critically its Marvel's best film, but I'd say Winter Soldier, Avengers, and Civil War were better.

It's 1 of Marvel's best. Honestly I feel Winter Soldier is their best, but BP isn't so far off.

I def could see BP getting a nod for Best Picture from the Golden Globes, but nada from the Oscars. Which, I'm def fine with it. Simply being in the discussion is incredible.

But that's been done for practically every recent MCU film. At least, in the past few years. BBC article called Ragnarok- "Film review: Thor Ragnarok is Marvel's best yet.". Mark Millar said Homecoming was Marvel's best film. And of course the same was said about Civil War when it was released.

Ok? I'm well aware of this. I was simply pointing out that while BP may not be the best to some, many others would disagree.

But we've also had several big genre and IP films that have had the same nuance that have been overlooked. In the 10 years since expansion we've had maybe, what, 5 or 6 genre films nominated out of a possible 100 places? They clearly don't care about popular movies.

My comments were in relation to BP vs. Avengers and why the former is in Oscar discussions. BP may very well get shut out of the major categories but the larger point is that it is in a stronger postion than some other films have been over the years.

Absolutely not -- no awards recognition, nor should it get any. Why should it be looked on any differently than any other MCU or comic book movie?

Golden Globes yeah sure but Oscars that remains to be seen

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"