Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by TheCorpulent1, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DiMiT Registered

lol

Great series... I think after Ivanova left and new captain got a bit weak
    but overall, story arc and all the arcs within, total brilliance.

#1 Character: Londo
    #'s 2 & 3 G'Kar, Garabaldi

not ness in that order and Londo edged by a close margin. His story is the story actual for B5. Londo's actions were a catalist for a ton of events.

I gotta watch again.
    Haven't in ages.

2. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

uh, thanks for nothing

between 21 and 22, there is what, a 20 year jump. What movie covers the in between time that is missed between the two episodes

3. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Depends on how you want to watch the series. River of Souls, Legend of the Rangers, A Call to Arms, Lost Tales, and the entire Crusade series fight into that gap between the last two episodes of season 5. I personally watched River of Souls and Legend of the Rangers before "Sleeping in Light," but I saved A Call to Arms and Crusade until after because Crusade is its own show with its own identity and I didn't want to have it be slave to Babylon 5 in my mind. I waited on Lost Tales because it's the very last thing that's come out for B5 so far, plus I know Galen's in it, and he's introduced in ACtA/Crusade.

4. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

thanks man... anyhow, flipped through the 'in between' movies... and man, they are pretty bad.

In the Beginning was fantastic, probably the best of babylon 5

[YT]ZNBFvEXumSc[/YT]

5. Addendum Registered

The tv movies are side stuff. They're still canon in the B5 universe, but aside from "In the Beginning" which fills in the details of the Earth/Minbari War that were talked about during the series, the rest aren't crucial to the main story told.

JMS always intended the last episode to be set 20 years after the events in 2261.

6. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

why didn't you just say that before? instead of being a weiner

7. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Yeah, the movies mostly suck. They have surprisingly similar plots, too: Thirdspace is about Babylon 5 meddling with an ancient alien artifact and getting burned, River of Souls is about Babylon 5 meddling with an ancient alien artifact and getting burned, Legend of the Rangers is about some Rangers meddling with an ancient alien race and getting burned.

Anyway, the only movies that contain important plot elements are In the Beginning, The Gathering, and A Call to Arms. In the Beginning has all the Earth-Minbari War stuff, which is cool, The Gathering was the pilot movie for B5, and A Call to Arms is something of a pilot movie for Crusade, since it introduces the Drakh plague that is at the heart of Crusade's plot.

8. Addendum Registered

In the first post, you never mentioned the "gap" or asking what you missed.

On the commentary on the Crusade DVDs, JMS said that the plague would have been resolved about midway through Season 2, and then take off on another thing entirely. It's just that we never saw that happen since we got half of the first season.

For a while, 3 Crusade scripts which were going to be shot before the series was killed were online. We would find out where the Technomages got their tech from, and that Earth has some more black projects with Shadow tech.

9. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

lost tales was interesting... and showed one thing, if they re did the effects, as they have done with Trek, B5 could really profit from it. Just the opening station f/x were enough to show what they could do to the series to bring it up to the standard the story demands

10. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I haven't seen Lost Tales yet, but the effects in Legend of the Rangers (which I think was the most recent B5 project directly before LT) were awesome. The hyperspace windows were way, way, way better than any previous versions. Things didn't look as glossy and plasticy, either, which was one of the things I hated most about the B5 effects.

11. Addendum Registered

Unfortunately, the original CGI and FX were on computers. The effects house that did the CGI and FX for the 5 years has long since closed shop, the computers have gone their own way, and the hard drives have long since been erased.

12. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

What? Who the hell just wipes CG effects for a major TV show away? :(

13. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

they could just redo them, rather than refirbish (is that how you spell that?). I mean the revisit of the Babylon 5 retirement in the open sequence of lost tales is fantastic, too fast yes, but really shows the difference a few years make.

14. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

"Refurbish."

The DVDs do have all the effects right there for reference. :up:

15. LexCorp Lex Luthor

Yes I have seen it all and it has been a while.

I even liked this better than DS9 at the time - I watched the whole series on VHS over a summer holiday back to back.

Great show.

16. GarudA Registered

It was a ok show, but the way the whole Shadow War story ended was just stupid, and season 5 was boring, season 1-4 were good.

17. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I liked the way the war ended. I liked how the Vorlons turned out to be less noble than they appeared, too.

18. LexCorp Lex Luthor

Me too.

I liked the idea of all of the prohecys and timelines that feed in too each other.

So Corp have you seen it all yet?

19. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I haven't watched about 4 or 5 episodes of Crusade or Lost Tales. I got sidetracked by Mass Effect.

20. LexCorp Lex Luthor

OK Cool

Now I felt that Crusade was a big fat fail.

21. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

It's not too bad to me. I like Galen a lot. He's very wry and fun.

22. LexCorp Lex Luthor

I liked the guy who is now in Lost (Jin) and played a lawyer in Angel...

Can not remember the name.

23. Addendum Registered

I'd much rather have new stories told in the B5 universe, rather than WB do a "special edition" of all 5 seasons of B5

24. Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

agreed, tie up that Delenn and Sheridan captured by Londo with something really good

25. TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Daniel Dae Kim. He's good, but he's barely in any of the episodes I've seen so far.