Babylon Toolbar & Widgi Toolbar HELP.

enterthemadness

The Triumvirate
Reaction score
Can't seem to get rid of these two nasty annoying bugs on my laptop.

I have Spybot Search & Destroy which says I have them, yet it won't let me get rid of them, cause it says somehow, I am not a admin on my own laptop.

Recently uninstalled Microsoft Essentials Anti-Virus, so I could download and install Ad-Aware FREE Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Scanner. The first full scan took a bit over 2 hours and found stuff. Deleted what I thought was Widgi, quarantine tracking cookies. Did Spybot again and quickly found out the bugs are alive and well. Second scan of Ad-Aware didn't find anything and took about 30 minutes this time. Installed FREE Malwarebytes scanner. Anti-Malware. It didn't find anything. Ugh.

I did reset my FireFox settings. And deleted Babylon Search option from search engine toolbar. But those two things are still on laptop.

HELP. I need something free or very cheap.

Try starting your computer in "Safe Mode" and run the scans again, deleting anything it finds suspicious.

Try starting your computer in "Safe Mode" and run the scans again, deleting anything it finds suspicious.

Safe mode stopped working for me on any PC/laptop. I tried it while ago, and the scanner was so HUGE on the screen, I couldn't even see the start scan button. So, need another option.

Okay. How about this...

Take the hard drive out of the PC, put it in an external SATA/IDE caddy that you can connect to another PC via USB. Then scan the attached drive from that PC.

-_-....

So, uninstalled Malwarebytes free scanner. Installed SUPERAntiSpyware. Ran quick scan, full scan, custom scan. Got rid of about 600 tracking cookies...but could not find babylon and widgi. Ugh. Superantispyware auto installed Google Chrome, so I uninstalled Google Chrome. :dry: keep on dreaming Google....keep on dreaming, Imma FireFox fanboy.

I dunno what else to do...

I do know, or at least think, that widgi came about via the stupid youtube downloader I installed. Ugh.

try CCleaner.

also free

try CCleaner.

also free

Eh, ran some scans with that...dunno what it does...looks like it couldn't find my issues.

I DL Avisoft earlier. Um, This Smart Defender v1.7 by them. False positives is all...deleted that as well.

you can also use it to delete things, check and see if you can find those files with it and delete from there

If your system is compromised that can affect how well the tools you use to remove them work.

Try an online virus scan such as what McAfee offer. It is free.

Perhaps the article here > http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-babylon-toolbar/
May be of assistance to you?

Edit:
I have gone through the process and have made the article clearer to read and run through. You can find it on my forum here

Last edited:
Eh, ran some scans with that...dunno what it does...looks like it couldn't find my issues.

I DL Avisoft earlier. Um, This Smart Defender v1.7 by them. False positives is all...deleted that as well.

CCleaner is a tool that primarily removes junk and temporary files from your PC. It can also be used to find and remove redundant registry entries. Use that one with extreme caution!

It can also be used to disable/delete various startup items. This is a good place to look if there is something dodgy which is automatically running every time you boot your PC.

If your system is compromised that can affect how well the tools you use to remove them work.

Try an online virus scan such as what McAfee offer. It is free.

Perhaps the article here > http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-babylon-toolbar/
May be of assistance to you?

Edit:
I have gone through the process and have made the article clearer to read and run through. You can find it on my forum here

Cool, I check this out later in day. These two annoying buggers I don't think are 'major' problems...so I still use my laptop, just would like the peace of mind that they are gone. If anything, it's been pop ups mostly...and that is mostly what widgi does, annoying pop up ads.

Thank Deathlok and CC with your help so far.

EDIT: I liek to point out, I took care of Babylon and Widgi in my FireFox Browser. So no tool bars or redirects I have, just get pop up ads and spybot says I still have them.

Okay. So, that AdwCleaner did some good damage--to the nasty annoying Babylon and Widgi.

Spybot before the AdwCleaner said 1 Babylon and 37 Widgi.

After AdwCleaner...

Just 10 Widgi.

So pretty good, but not all the way there.

Hey

you can try either to log on to this site that shows how to remove Babylon:

http://www.babylon.com/uninstall_search/index

or these instructions might work :

• Uninstall the Babylon in Programs and Features.
• Check if the babylon Toolbar is still there in Tools>Manage Add-ons>Toolbars and extentions, if it still there, disable that(select and hit disable button)
• Remove the Babylon homepage(Tools>Internet Options> general>Homepage(change it towww.google.com or use blank).
• Check if the babylon is raising up when we open a new tab in the same window( Click on add tab in the Internet explorer)
• if it is comming up:
• Take a Regestry Backup and follow the steps:
• Windows+R on desktop> Type Regedit and hit ok button> Select computers> hit Ctrl+F> Type Babylon in the search box and hit "Find Next" button.
• That brings up the Babylon regestry control just Delete it(Hit Del and Enter),Search again(Just hit F3) and delete all the babylon controls.
• Repeat the above step untill search says: "Finished Searching through the Regestry" when you hit F3.
• Click ok button.
• Restart the computer(Optional)

Yes, babylon toolbar virus is too annoying and is is definitely a parasitic browser hijacker. thought i could uninstall babylon toolbar from control panel, but disappointed to find Iminent browser redirect problem occurs again. So iminent manual removal is almost impossible for common people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"