Backissues

As a fan and as a collector, I love to get something that becomes valuable, like when Origin and Ultimate Spiderman went so high in price. But, I still hate...ABSOLUTELY HATE...that they have variant issues, especially in such abundance lately. As someone said on here, "Is this the 90's again?" I'm glad Marvel stopped doing all the reprinting, but when I buy an issue, I want the same damn issue everyone else has. I don't want some comic dealer to get one issue, save it, give it to his friend, or auction is off (this is what a 90's comic dealer did in my home town back in the day) to the highest bidder. I don't want to open up Wizard, look at the top 10 most wanted books, and see 5 issues I bought, but none are really the book I bought. They are all variant issues.

Phaed

I agree with that, it annoys me. And I have to have the actual copies of the comic. I don't like getting TPBs or anything like that, I want the original first prints.

Here's another criteria I forgot: th' hauntin'. What is th' hauntin', you ask? Simple...it's when you constantly see an image from a comic over an' over, an' then when ya see it in th' back issue box ya just gotta get it. One example would be Uncanny X-Men #213 & 222 whose images were on a calendar from th' 90s. Both issues I got off Ebay soon as I saw 'em.

I'd love to get more backissues but I just can't afford it at the moment (other than an occational and random binge if money permits). Right now I just want to complete some of the series that I collect, like Daredevil vol 2 and USM.

wanna find cheap back issues? go to a big comic book con or find a flea market, found some old X-Men books for a quarter that were in the early 100's issues and every now and then find other books cheap too

Morg said:
wanna find cheap back issues? go to a big comic book con or find a flea market, found some old X-Men books for a quarter that were in the early 100's issues and every now and then find other books cheap too

i find that comic cons are rip offs. when milehigh has their sales, thats a good time to jump on.

Phaedrus45 said:
Add on to the question: Are you satisfied just getting to read the stories, as in an Essential volume, or do you have to own the actual copy? Also, do you buy to sell at a future date, or will you hold onto them until you die?

Phaed

if it's something I really love, I'll try to track down the issues

right now, my two most wanted are a prestine GL/GA 76 and a More Fun 73

newnoiseimage said:
i find that comic cons are rip offs. when milehigh has their sales, thats a good time to jump on.

To get good deals at cons on back issues you need to do it on Sunday Mornings (or whatever the last day is). That's when retailers are wanting to sell as much stock off as they can, and often you can haggle them down some because they want to sell as much as they can so they don't have to pack it home. Also if you buy a large quantity from one dealer they'll often cut you a deal.

Mile High's sales are great too. Whenever they have the 85% off sales on Marvel back issues, I always snap some up.

DBM said:
Mile High's sales are great too. Whenever they have the 85% off sales on Marvel back issues, I always snap some up.

like right now.

newnoiseimage said:
like right now.

Is there one going on now? I must have missed it. Off to milehighcomic.com for me.

You said it. I drop $40 easily every time I go there. My biggest haul was 84 comics for $55.

Hehe well, I already dropped my coin fer a couple parts to th' clone saga I was missin'. Im gonna try an' hold off my next big spendin' spree fer a couple months.

i had a list of a few that i forgot, but i think my girl ditched it on me. i'm going to vegas next friday, so im not looking for comics anyway.

newnoiseimage said:

really? don't know how finding books for 50c to a buck is a rip off

Morg said:
really? don't know how finding books for 50c to a buck is a rip off

if you are looking to buy some good books, its a rip.

"good" is relative, nni. There are at least one or two dealers at every con who have tons of back issues in great shape that are all only a dollar

Elijya said:
"good" is relative, nni. There are at least one or two dealers at every con who have tons of back issues in great shape that are all only a dollar

ive only been to one con and was terribly dissapointed.

At the con I've been to (MegaCon in Orlando), the comics didn't seem to be much lower in price than at my local comic shop. I did buy some though, simply because there's more variety at the con.

newnoiseimage said:

I don't think that's much to base an opinion on and certainly don't think it's enough to base giving advice on.

I've been to probably 3 dozen cons in the last ten years or so and I've always had good luck finding stuff there. My main advice is to not be afraid to try and haggle. They're there to sell, and are likely to make deals.

newnoiseimage said:

well, what con and what did you do there? was it a big con like a wizard world or mega con, or was it one of those local holiday inn things?

I love cons. I get to meet creators and get original art and sketches from them. Alot of times I go out to eat or go drinking with them later.

DBM said:
I don't think that's much to base an opinion on and certainly don't think it's enough to base giving advice on.

go to bad place.

Elijya said:
well, what con and what did you do there? was it a big con like a wizard world or mega con, or was it one of those local holiday inn things?

I love cons. I get to meet creators and get original art and sketches from them. Alot of times I go out to eat or go drinking with them later.

it was a con you were at, the big apple national. i can see how you have a good time as you really go and chat it up with the creators, they just arent my thing. i went looking to get some gradings and maybe catch an issue or two at a discount. all of the keys were overpriced, and better deals were found on ebay/heritage.

so you didn't haggle. and at least you keep to see, hold, and inspect whatever you're buying there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"