Barkley considering running for gov and no longer a Republican!

NOFX

Superhero
Reaction score
NEW YORK -- Charles Barkley was his usual outspoken self during a recent television interview in which he said, among other things, that he advocates gay marriage, believes Republicans have screwed up the country and is "struggling with my idea of what religion is."

The former NBA MVP, who is considering running as a Democratic candidate for governor in his home state of Alabama, also said Democrats have concentrated too much on criticizing President Bush in the last two years instead of focusing on what they can do to improve things in the country.

"They're criticizing a guy who can't run again, who can't get fired," Barkley said during an appearance on "CMI: The Chris Meyers Interview," which will air on Sunday night on Fox SportsNet. "So they spent the last two years criticizing him instead of saying, 'Some things aren't right. This is our game plan.' And now we're two years away from the election, and we have no solutions and no front-runner."

Barkley was a Republican until recently, saying he switched parties when the Republicans "lost their minds." He said he is troubled by some of the actions of people in the United States in the name of religion.

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."

He also said he supports gay marriage.

"I think if they want to get married, God bless them," Barkley said. "Gay marriage is probably 1 percent of the population, so it's not like it's going to be an epidemic. Hey, trust me, I'm never going to kiss you and say, 'Chris, you're sexy."'

Barkley also acknowledged that a gay athlete likely would be discriminated against in professional sports, though he said he believes they would face the same discrimination in everyday life.

The Hall of Famer, who donated money to help with the reconstruction in the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina, said he realizes he has limitations when it comes to governing, though that isn't stopping him from considering a gubernatorial bid.

"I don't know anything about a lot of things, but I would ask somebody and try to make a fair, honest decision for the majority of the people. Not the rich, not the poor, not the black, not the white," Barkley said. "When you get elected to public office, you're supposed to represent everybody. Your job is not to take care of the rich or the poor or the black or the white. Your job is to take care of everybody."

Anyone who trashes those whiny Democrats has a vote from me.
Too bad I live in VA :o

SpeedballLives said:
Anyone who trashes those whiny Democrats has a vote from me.
Too bad I live in VA :o
How's Mark Warner?

I don't know and don't care really. I voted for Kaine.

SpeedballLives said:
I don't know and don't care really. I voted for Kaine.
Thats because he couldnt run since he was already governor. I've heard Kaine has a 70% approval rating? if thats true thats amazing! :eek:

I agree with Barkley on everything that he has said 110%

hippie_hunter said:
I agree with Barkley on everything that he has said 110%
Yup same here!!! Especially this part "Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."
Thats exactly How I feel right now as a Christain.

Yes, I agree. The Democrats have done nothing but complain and yet have brought nothing to the table.

NOFX said:
Yup same here!!! Especially this part "Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."
Thats exactly How I feel right now as a Christain.
I feel the same way too.
Now I wish I could live in New York :(.
Looks like it's time to move!!!

I'm not totally sure why he wants to run as a Democrat if he's so critical of them. Then again, it's not like he'd win as an independent.

JLBats said:
I'm not totally sure why he wants to run as a Democrat if he's so critical of them. Then again, it's not like he'd win as an independent.

because the democratic party is not perfect. I'm a far left Liberal and I agree with everything he said. He actually sounds pretty reasonable, and I think he maybe could do a really good job, instead of being bogged down with bull****.

Baerkely you got my respect!

Spider-Bite said:
because the democratic party is not perfect. I'm a far left Liberal and I agree with everything he said. He actually sounds pretty reasonable, and I think he maybe could do a really good job, instead of being bogged down with bull****.

Baerkely you got my respect!

Regardless, even if you think you might share some idealogical values with the party, if you consider them whiners, why align yourself with them?

Well, good for him. Even though I'm a Democrat I do agree with what he said about us to a certain extent.

JLBats said:
Regardless, even if you think you might share some idealogical values with the party, if you consider them whiners, why align yourself with them?

Because independents and third parties practically have no chance at all. It's why I'm a Republican even though I currently hate the direction they are taking.

hippie_hunter said:
Because independents and third parties practically have no chance at all. It's why I'm a Republican even though I currently hate the direction they are taking.

I just think it's dumb, and it's the reason why Independents have such a no-win reputation right now. It's a cycle. None of the good people run as independents because independents never win... and independents never win because none of the good people run as independents.

JLBats said:
I just think it's dumb, and it's the reason why Independents have such a no-win reputation right now. It's a cycle. None of the good people run as independents because independents never win... and independents never win because none of the good people run as independents.

Very true :o

NOFX said:
NEW YORK -- Charles Barkley was his usual outspoken self during a recent television interview in which he said, among other things, that he advocates gay marriage, believes Republicans have screwed up the country and is "struggling with my idea of what religion is."

The former NBA MVP, who is considering running as a Democratic candidate for governor in his home state of Alabama, also said Democrats have concentrated too much on criticizing President Bush in the last two years instead of focusing on what they can do to improve things in the country.

"They're criticizing a guy who can't run again, who can't get fired," Barkley said during an appearance on "CMI: The Chris Meyers Interview," which will air on Sunday night on Fox SportsNet. "So they spent the last two years criticizing him instead of saying, 'Some things aren't right. This is our game plan.' And now we're two years away from the election, and we have no solutions and no front-runner."

Barkley was a Republican until recently, saying he switched parties when the Republicans "lost their minds." He said he is troubled by some of the actions of people in the United States in the name of religion.

"Religious people in general are so discriminatory against other people, and that really disturbs me," he said. "My idea of religion is we all love and respect. We all sin, but we still have common decency and respect for other people. So right now I'm struggling with my idea of what religion is."

He also said he supports gay marriage.

"I think if they want to get married, God bless them," Barkley said. "Gay marriage is probably 1 percent of the population, so it's not like it's going to be an epidemic. Hey, trust me, I'm never going to kiss you and say, 'Chris, you're sexy."'

Barkley also acknowledged that a gay athlete likely would be discriminated against in professional sports, though he said he believes they would face the same discrimination in everyday life.

The Hall of Famer, who donated money to help with the reconstruction in the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina, said he realizes he has limitations when it comes to governing, though that isn't stopping him from considering a gubernatorial bid.

"I don't know anything about a lot of things, but I would ask somebody and try to make a fair, honest decision for the majority of the people. Not the rich, not the poor, not the black, not the white," Barkley said. "When you get elected to public office, you're supposed to represent everybody. Your job is not to take care of the rich or the poor or the black or the white. Your job is to take care of everybody."

Sounds too good to be true, he would say this but proably won't actually do none of what he said. Its a good way to get elected.

I think it's funny when people who would normally say that "religion and government shouldn't mix" get all excited when Charles Barkley starts telling everyone how religion should be. I know it's not any violation of him to do so, but maybe it would be a good idea to hold everyone to those same standards.:up:

Man-Thing said:
I think it's funny when people who would normally say that "religion and government shouldn't mix" get all excited when Charles Barkley starts telling everyone how religion should be. I know it's not any violation of him to do so, but maybe it would be a good idea to hold everyone to those same standards.:up:

But isn't he basically saying that religion should stay out of politics as well? I think you're just grasping at thin air in an attempt to criticize liberals. And besides, I think most people, sane people at least, believe that religion was not created to be used as a justification for hate. That's how it's turned out because of human manipulation, though. I believe religion was created to explain creation. No more, no less. Slowly it developed into something to govern the way people should live...and from that we got discrimination.

KingOfDreams said:
But isn't he basically saying that religion should stay out of politics as well? I think you're just grasping at thin air in an attempt to criticize liberals. And besides, I think most people, sane people at least, believe that religion was not created to be used as a justification for hate. That's how it's turned out because of human manipulation, though. I believe religion was created to explain creation. No more, no less. Slowly it developed into something to govern the way people should live...and from that we got discrimination.

well, to be honest I thought he was already entered into the race, but still he is using religion to get support. Are you saying that it didn't bother you when Bush said when asked who his favorite philosopher was that he said "Christ...because he changed my life".

I like what Barkley is saying, but he is only going to embarrass himself. Lynn Swann is getting embarrassed in PA, Barkley will suffer the same fat.

Matt said:
I like what Barkley is saying, but he is only going to embarrass himself. Lynn Swann is getting embarrassed in PA, Barkley will suffer the same fat.
Lynn Swann is running for governor also????!!!

NOFX said:
Lynn Swann is running for governor also????!!!

Yea, and behind by like...20 points. He is making an absolute ass of himself. He had Terry Bradshaw campaigning for him for godsakes.

Man-Thing said:
well, to be honest I thought he was already entered into the race, but still he is using religion to get support. Are you saying that it didn't bother you when Bush said when asked who his favorite philosopher was that he said "Christ...because he changed my life".

There's a difference I think from mentioning religion in response to a question and basing legislation on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"