Sir Elton: "Ban organised religion"

ShadowBoxing said:
You do realize that no society can live in isolation from itself. The point of Government is to provide that which people cannot provide themselves. Education, medicine, defense, etc is something I cannot get without the help of other people.

That's why people want socialized medicine you nut bag. Because people born into bad economic conditions should not be forced to die on the streets as children because their parents are unwilling or unable to provide for them. Strength is not determined by who you surround yourself with.

...and furthermore what the f*** would you know about strength. You live with your parents AND you cannot even defend yourself from your own cousin. Look at you, you cannot even stand on your own two feet. You need your parents to help you manage your money. You need a message board to interact with people. You need a mask to hide your face. You're so afraid of the world eating you alive you won't even step out into it. Nice life huh?

That's the price we pay for freedom. If you want others to pay for your consequences, than you can also expect them to have input on how you choose to live.

If my choices in life turn out to be bad ones, I'm not asking anybody to rescue me from them.

ShadowBoxing said:
Don't fool yourself. This country is a LOT more free than it was 300 years ago...even 10 years ago when you would not have even discussed gay marriage, it just wasn't an option. There was a time in this country when we let states decide whether interreligion marriage was okay. Hell, even the gay arguments...some with the exact same wording...were used to decry interracial marriage.

We're a young nation, and while others may have us beat in areas we progress a lot faster than others. We've only been at this for 300 years, I'd say we are doing okay.
no im not arguing that.. im just saying.. in THIS day and age.. the country we fleed from for freedom.. has not only caught up with us.. but surpassed us on rights.. and canada has more freedom then the US does.. and its a bit younger then the US ;)

War Lord said:
That's the price we pay for freedom. If you want others to pay for your consequences, than you can also expect them to have input on how you choose to live.
It's not their fault that they are poor, or black, or gay, or ******ed, or anything else along those lines. Very rarely do people choose those paths. It's not fun to be poor in this country, and if you even think the benefits we pay out to them can even begin to give them a normal life...you have your head up your ass.
If my choices in life turn out to be bad ones, I'm not asking anybody to rescue me from them.
Actually you are. You live with your parents, therefore you are not independent and you are asking for help whether you think so or not. Until you stand on your own two feet, pay your own way in life, you know nothing of consequences.

War Lord said:
It is what I mean, but on the flip side, it also means that the government cannot be expected to help you if your choices in life prove to be unfortunate.
no, that's really not what it means. its an economic terms pertaining to the relationship between the government and businesses, not the government and individuals.

I completely agree with Elton on this one, ban them, ban them all I say! Religion creates devides, starts wars an causes all kinds of isolation and predujice. :mad::down

In that case, ban sex. I'd say religion and sex are about equally prevelant. You can't do it dude. It doesn't work like that.

Besides, religion can be good for some things. It does keep people adhering to the law [as long as they in the middle and not too extreme one way or the other] and it gives a good moral code. If it wasn't so far twisted and corrupted beyond recognition I doubt there would be a problem with it.

NowufaceDoom said:
I completely agree with Elton on this one, ban them, ban them all I say! Religion creates devides, starts wars an causes all kinds of isolation and predujice. :mad::down

If not religion it would just be something else.

And you would be surprised how many times something done "in the name of god" is usually just in the name of greed with god thrown in there to make it more excusable.

War Lord said:

I'll ask you again, and hopefully you answer this time.
what about those individuals who can't live with their parents because their parents are either too poor, or dead or bad influences , how is this "their choice"?
the fact that you've had it easy (and given your job and views it's kind of not to hard to see ) doesn't mean everyone else is where they are by "choice".

Mr Sparkle said:
I'll ask you again, and hopefully you answer this time.
what about those individuals who can't live with their parents because their parents are either too poor, or dead or bad influences , how is this "their choice"?
the fact that you've had it easy (and given your job and views it's kind of not to hard to see ) doesn't mean everyone else is where they are by "choice".

I would respond...

But I don't have the backstory to that quote or what you are talking about and reading makes me a sad panda.

Why don't we just ban Homosexuals? They're fewer in numbers anyways, so it'll be a hell of a lot easier. I hate potpourri anyways.

NowufaceDoom said:

Right! And before religion it was all peaceful and flowery. :whatever:

ShadowBoxing said:
It's not their fault that they are poor, or black, or gay, or ******ed, or anything else along those lines. Very rarely do people choose those paths. It's not fun to be poor in this country, and if you even think the benefits we pay out to them can even begin to give them a normal life...you have your head up your ass.

Actually you are. You live with your parents, therefore you are not independent and you are asking for help whether you think so or not. Until you stand on your own two feet, pay your own way in life, you know nothing of consequences.

I'm making the arguement as to what society would be like if we became a laissez faire society, which everybody is free to do what they want regardless of what others might think. Obviously you don't want that society, therefore we do have a right to say how another should live because we're contributing to helping them out if their choices turn out to be bad ones.

If you're not prepared to contribute to society to ensure its stability, one certainly shouldn't be expecting society to contribute to your well being.

Although I might still live with my parents, I pay them fair rent and contribute the household chores and whatnot. There is, functionally speaking, little difference between my current situation and a situation where I had my own apartment.

maxwell's demon said:
no, that's really not what it means. its an economic terms pertaining to the relationship between the government and businesses, not the government and individuals.

It's also on an individual level, not just business.

From dictionary.com

2. the practice or doctrine of noninterference in the affairs of others, esp. with reference to individual conduct or freedom of action.

yes but its not how its used when dealng with GOVERNMENTS and PEOPLE

i can maybe have a laissez fiare attidtude towards you. but i can't have that atitude towards my government or vice versa (unless i was a small business owner, but then they aren't having it with me as na individual- just as a businessperson). geebus Jonty get it straight!:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"