Sir Elton: "Ban organised religion"

kainedamo said:
Which means you don't believe in helping others. That's what you mean when you say you want a "laissez faire" society.
no laissez faire means that the government doesn't regulate an individuals life too much. they set up certain guidelines that everyone has to follow but outside of that, they don't do much. meaning, they make it legal for people to marry each other, but they don't say a man and a woman have to get married. it's just two consenting adults. that's just an example.

the_joker said:
I think "banning" people to practice their religion is ridiculous, however I do believe that Governments should be secular and not use religion to justify or influence their politics. Politics and Religion are two separate issues and should stay like that. For example, the issue of gay marriages, it should simply be made legal and then left up to the individual church ministers to decide whether they wish to marry the a couple or not. And thus, everybody is happy. Except for the Pope, but he's never happy.

Exactly. There's far too much religion in U.S. government for a society that's supposed to hold the seperation of church and state in high regard. A couple things that comes to mind that bother me are one, the swearing in of the president on the bible, and two, the use of god in the pledge of allegience. I feel, as an athiest, untrue to myself when I say that line.

War Lord said:
No. I actually favour the laissez faire style of society, but those who often advocate that often also want socialized medicine for some reason and I don't believe in socialized medicine.
You do realize that no society can live in isolation from itself. The point of Government is to provide that which people cannot provide themselves. Education, medicine, defense, etc is something I cannot get without the help of other people.

That's why people want socialized medicine you nut bag. Because people born into bad economic conditions should not be forced to die on the streets as children because their parents are unwilling or unable to provide for them. Strength is not determined by who you surround yourself with.

...and furthermore what the f*** would you know about strength. You live with your parents AND you cannot even defend yourself from your own cousin. Look at you, you cannot even stand on your own two feet. You need your parents to help you manage your money. You need a message board to interact with people. You need a mask to hide your face. You're so afraid of the world eating you alive you won't even step out into it. Nice life huh?

wait a minute...he doesn't believe in socialized medicine...yet lives in canada. Don't they have socialized medicine in your province...and if so, i guess that means you bypass that and choose to pay all your medical bills out of pocket.

please don't apply logic to War Lord's post. your head will explode.

i'm not wanting to really apply logic....just see if he's a hipocrite

ShadowBoxing said:
You do realize that no society can live in isolation from itself. The point of Government is to provide that which people cannot provide themselves. Education, medicine, defense, etc is something I cannot get without the help of other people.

That's why people want socialized medicine you nut bag. Because people born into bad economic conditions should not be forced to die on the streets as children because their parents are unwilling or unable to provide for them. Strength is not determined by who you surround yourself with.

...and furthermore what the f*** would you know about strength. You live with your parents AND you cannot even defend yourself from your own cousin. Look at you, you cannot even stand on your own two feet. You need your parents to help you manage your money. You need a message board to interact with people. You need a mask to hide your face. You're so afraid of the world eating you alive you won't even step out into it. Nice life huh?

rosecopy.jpg

Fried Gold said:
Religion tells people how to behave.
Im didnt mean that as a bad thing.. but it shouldnt tell people how to think... Many churches along the us have even told the people who to vote for in an election... its ridiculous ... and many organized religions have abused there power in the past... thats what needs to end.. power. Religion should never be about power.. and sadly.. it is, why? because its at the route of many peoples beliefs

Fried Gold said:
Religion tells people how to behave.
You know to a large extent I agree with you. Religion is and always was a way to finding order in a society.

ShadowBoxing said:
You know to a large extent I agree with you. Religion is and always was a way to finding order in a society.
but its also been the cause of just as many deaths..

spideyboy_1111 said:
but its also been the cause of just as many deaths..
In the name of order. Societies have attacked eachother for the entirty of human history with or without religion.

true, but religion has spilt alot of blood when abused.. look at the middle east, look at the crusades.. look at the witch trials, look at the killing of the knights templar, look at the ridicule of women.. Im not saying organized religion is bad... (its not for me) but its not bad.. it's when it goes against what the whole heart of the religion is.. or when it try's to influence others (essentially the forcing of one religion upon another), and when its abused for power..

spideyboy_1111 said:
true, but religion has spilt alot of blood when abused.. look at the middle east, look at the crusades.. look at the witch trials, look at the killing of the knights templar, look at the ridicule of women.. Im not saying organized religion is bad... (its not for me) but its not bad.. it's when it goes against what the whole heart of the religion is.. or when it try's to influence others (essentially the forcing of one religion upon another), and when its abused for power..

Well while you may have a point, humans are always wrought with contradiction. We, for example in this country, value freedom...except if you're Hitler, Stalin, Osama, Saddam, Confederate South, black (once upon a time)...then you cannot do what you want. Now maybe we justify it with, well they are a threat to OUR freedom. But in the end of the day it really is no different than their justification for us.

What is that quote from X2, the one our friend Xavier said "Sharing the world has never been mankind's defining attribute".

its very true... but at the same time its kinda sad when our "free country" is starting to sound less and less free ... odd thing is, the country we ran from for "freedom" even has more freedom these days then we do.. *cough cough, gay marriage* cough*

kainedamo said:
I don't think thats what Jonty means.

It is what I mean, but on the flip side, it also means that the government cannot be expected to help you if your choices in life prove to be unfortunate.

spideyboy_1111 said:
its very true... but at the same time its kinda sad when our "free country" is starting to sound less and less free ... odd thing is, the country we ran from for "freedom" even has more freedom these days then we do.. *cough cough, gay marriage* cough*
Don't fool yourself. This country is a LOT more free than it was 300 years ago...even 10 years ago when you would not have even discussed gay marriage, it just wasn't an option. There was a time in this country when we let states decide whether interreligion marriage was okay. Hell, even the gay arguments...some with the exact same wording...were used to decry interracial marriage.

We're a young nation, and while others may have us beat in areas we progress a lot faster than others. We've only been at this for 300 years, I'd say we are doing okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"