Bassists

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
Since there's a thread for guitarists, let's have one for the bassists out there. Here's your time to shine!

I play bass. I'm not great at it, but I play enough to entertain myself. Had to learn since everyone else I knew either played drums or guitar. Bass players always have someone to play with.

les2.jpg

end_of_discussion.gif

I play bass. I'm not great at it, but I play enough to entertain myself. Had to learn since everyone else I knew either played drums or guitar. Bass players always have someone to play with.

The bolded part is so true. Like many bassists, I'm a guitarist from the beginning (and I have some various guitars home still, and still play occasionally with friends and at parties and such, never gonna give up guitarplaying).

But my brother's been a bassist since like he was 11 and later made some tours through Europe, recorded some records etc in the 90's. Some day I just told him I wanted a good bass (mostly for fun), so he tipped me off these incredibly wellbuilt Yamaha BB basses from the 80's that still hadn't been overhyped\overpriced like many 80's japanese instruments today.

I've been playing my Yamaha BB 2000 -84 ever since. And when a drummer friend asked me if I wanted to play with him and a guitarist/singer, I got curious. And now we've been jamming together for like five-six years I think. Just for fun without any pretentions at all, and I see myself as a quite mediocre bassplayer, but who the hell cares! At my age, I just see our rehearsals as magical music therapy that makes you live a couple of months longer in the end. :woot:

But it's really fun like hell to play bass, and what I like is that you're kinda both part of the melody/chord/riff section AND the rythm section at the same time in the song.

And like Matt Mortem said in his post above: Bassplayer always have someone to play with. There's always too many guitarplayers and singers..

Yeah, Les is all kinda awesome bass player and funny as hell. Primus first records blew my mind a little. I still prefer his idol Geddy Lee though.

Last edited:
While not my favorite band, Korn's bassist Fieldy has a sick tone, no one else sounds like him.

While not my favorite band, Korn's bassist Fieldy has a sick tone, no one else sounds like him.

It's true. I find his technique to be pretty sloppy though. I've always wanted him to expand his horizons.

It's true. I find his technique to be pretty sloppy though. I've always wanted him to expand his horizons.

I think you mean slappy... :rimshot:

Say what you will about Limp Bizkit... Sam Rivers is a badass. (Lately not so much, but back in the day)

I think you mean slappy... :rimshot:

Say what you will about Limp Bizkit... Sam Rivers is a badass. (Lately not so much, but back in the day)

If it wasn't for Durst, LB would be looked at very differently. Everyone in that band, except Durst, is a top notch musician. Wes Borland is a guitar wizard and Rivers knows his way around a bass. I feel bad for those guys. They ended up in a band with a *****e canoe for a front man.

Victor Wooten
Matt Freeman
Flea
Fat Mike
Jermain Jackson
Jack Bruce
James Jamerson

those are the dudes I listen to when I wanna get pumped to play the 4-string
was never big on Claypool (too weird) nor Lee (sounds too much like a chick)

guitar was the first instrument I learned, but I am a drummer first and foremost. Unfortunately, I only have one friend who plays an instruments...I wish I knew more bass players...in rock and roll music, if your drummer and bass player tight, then you got yourself one hell of a band..regardless of anything else.

I don't know how popular he is, but Tony Levin was always a favorite of mine. He toured with Genesis/Peter Gabriel, and played the bass in the '80s thru present day version of King Crimson.

He usually plays a Chapman stick, a somewhat odd-looking bass/guitar instrument that can be used in combination to play both bass and guitar, although in Crimson he was the bass player.

Last edited:
You gotta love when bass has some fuzz in it. Not too much, but decent amount.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUu5AaN7u9E[/YT]

tumblr_mb86stmCKv1qleer0o1_500.gif

I have been playing bass since middle school, I was really inspired by Mark Hoppus and Flea when I first started. I have been meaning to find a better Bass guitar, i will eventually.

ANy rules against reviving threads?
Anywho,been playing a little over 13 years now and still loving the low end!

The Bass player in the band Haim has the craziest Bass face
W4F8Y.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"