Bat-Character Costumes for a High School Stage Play

If you film it, the detail will be worth it. And if you had Batman, etc, leave a scene by running up the side or front of the audience, it'd be worth it aswell, and be a fun scene transition, too.

That guy worded it like a *****e.

Still waiting on Nightwing and Harley news :p

Harley and Nightwing shots coming soon. Next "glamor" photo shoot already scheduled for the end of October (The Batman, Robin The Boy Wonder, Nightwing Catwoman, and (possibly) The Joker.) Harley Quinn has yet to be cast. She's going to be as tough to cast as The Joker himself. But I can tell you that her costume will, of course, be her traditional sexy red and black court-jester tights with frilly satin collar and wrist cuffs, and pixie shoes.

As for the way our friend "torontogosh" worded his question, I don't really take it personally. In fact, I think he might have meant it as a sort of compliment... alluding to my obsessive eye for detail when it comes to these characters. :woot:

Interesting that you envisioned some of the action in this production coming up right up close to the audience. In some cases, that's EXACTLY what I've written! Say... you haven't been peeking at my script have you? No fair! I cry foul! :woot::woot:

I can imagine it'd be really hard to find a Harley, especially at a younger age. Tough role, very emotive!

You know, you should take it as a compliment even if it wasn't meant as such :woot:

Hey...great minds, and all that :awesome: if you were wanting to get more mileage out of the suits..when the play is over..you could maybe try and tie in a music department to make a cool video along the lines of these -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgdEnS4tdo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5l5ls0hP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBu5pI_vYI

To make it more unique, you could add in the history, etc! Although, this would be a massive amount of work, ontop of the already massive amount of work you're already doing :p

Great work man. I am a 25-year-old visual artist/actor and am earning my theatre degree at Cal State Northridge in the Spring. I get to take a costuming class next semester and couldn't be more stoked. Your designs and images have inspired me to try making another, better, sturdier, sleeker costume. You can check out my first attempt here

Good work amigo. Keep honing your craft, you have a promising future in this avenue. I guess you already knew that seeing as you work at a performing arts school.

Last edited:
**PRODUCTION UPDATE**

The production of the student stage play “Fathers of the Dark Knight” continues to march forward! But the production has grown into something much bigger and more elaborate than my original concept.

As of last month, The Joker’s adorable (but twisted) hench-wench HARLEY QUINN was cast in the personage of a highly energetic and very talented 17 year-old Bronx high school student. She and I are working closely together to really nail Harley’s accent and dialect and fighting style. Make-up and costume test photos to follow.

One final photo shoot (for fund-raising glamor shots) is scheduled for February 16th. This shoot will feature ALL of our fantasy characters (except The Joker and The Penguin who will be cast closer to the start of rehearsals), together for the first time in one shoot!

Since my last update, I have been hard at work creating (or gathering together) more props and costumes for the play (Re: Final utility belt and updated boots for The Batman, Ravenwood leather masks for Robin, Riddler and Harley Quinn, updated boots for Nightwing, The Riddler’s final question mark staff (actually gold-mirrored this time, Harley Quinn’s giant mallet and pop cork gun… too much to list).

This production has now teamed with Bronx Heroes Comics (of New York City) to begin a concentrated sponsorship drive (through Kickstarter, Fundrazar, USA Projects.org., and the Bronx Arts Council). These efforts begin in earnest at the end of February / early March to raise the necessary production capital to reserve a theater venue and begin rehearsals! Many of you have already friended me on Facebook (Roberto Williams of Brooklyn, NY), so that you can be kept abreast of opportunities to donate to the production. Well, stay tuned because that’s coming up really soon now.

Okay… I present HARLEY QUINN

This young lady is a drama, dance, and vocal music student that I have worked with for 3 years now. Her level of talent and commitment to this project are simply not to be believed. She even walks around with a loop of Harley Quinn dialogue (from Batman The Animated Series) so that she can nail Harley’s speech pattern and cadence. These photos do NOT do justice to her kookiness and accelerated energy level on set! She is hilarious, mischievous, chatty, and exhausting! In short, she IS Harley Quinn! I have Photoshopped her blue eyes to simulate the contact lenses she will be wearing.

Here are the make-up, costume, and prop test photos I shot on January 22nd, 2013. The giant mallet prop is seen here still in the very early stages of construction. Final paint and detailing is happening in the coming days, and I of course will share detailed photos of the procedure.

HarleyTest3_zps1546cfb7.jpg

HarleyTest5_zps9039d9ee.jpg

HarleyTest4_zps4768df01.jpg

HarleyTest6_zps1c5ff4a8.jpg

Harleytest1_zps94504fdc.jpg

HarleyTest2_zps6b19097f.jpg

Now it's on to our Kickstarter and fund-raising campaign!

In the meantime, enjoy these images. They are from the final publicity photo shoot for "Father's Of The Dark Knight"...

TheBatmanandBatgirl_zpsccf8b2bb.jpg

The Dark Knight and the Commissioner's kid

Photography by Roberto Williams

Last edited:
Catwoman-1_zps34399108.jpg

CATWOMAN: "Meee-ow! The World-Famous Egyptian Cat's eye Opal! What a puuurrr-fect play toy you are... much better than any ball of yarn!"

Last edited:
TheBatmanVsCatwoman_zps3ccd1221.jpg

THE BATMAN: "Looks like your nine lives are up, Catwoman! You'll definitely take the fall for this!"

Last edited:
CatwomanVsTheBatman_zps5e75c6a6.jpg

CATWOMAN: "Take the fall?" Oh, I don't think so, Batman. You forget. I'm a cat. I always land on my feet. Hsssssss!!"

Photography By Roberto Williams

Last edited:
TheBatmanandCatwoman_zps50751885.jpg

THE BATMAN "Fancy moves, kitten. But even the wildest cat can get her claws clipped!"

CATWOMAN: "Claws will always grow back, Batman... just as sharp as before. But I promise... you'll LOVE the way I scratch"

Last edited:
HarleyQuinn_zps975d4d10.jpg

HARLEY QUINN

Last edited:
TheRiddlerVsTheBatman_zps19caaf33.jpg
HarleyQuinn_zps975d4d10.jpg

THE RIDDLER: "Riddle me this, you pointy-eared night RAT!"

Last edited:
RobinVsHarley_zps6955d38f.jpg

HARLEY QUINN: "Say good-night, bird boy! You're about to have yer last caped-crusade!"

Last edited:
TheBatmanAndRobin_zpsdae59758.jpg

The Bat and The Boy

Last edited:
TheRiddler3_zpsbd6197fa.jpg

The original Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
TheRiddler4_zps58d7a267.jpg

The Prince of Puzzlers!

Last edited:
TheBatman2-1_zps3266b789.jpg

The Dark Knight Detective

Last edited:
TheBatman3_zps20ec64b3.jpg

THE BATMAN stalks!

Last edited:
HarleyQuinn2_zps5344df10.jpg

HARLEY QUINN

Last edited:
BatgirlVsHarley_zpsa571535b.jpg

HARLEY QUINN: "Back off Brat-Girl or yer tastin' wood!"

Last edited:
i think id go for a modern look and remember to have strong characters the power play batman nightwing and batgirl (babs)

Well, this play WILL definitely feature very strong characterizations of ALL the fantasy characters.

But as a long -time (even "old-time") Batman fan of over 40 years, I have to say that I really prefer the classic look of these characters over their "modern" (or sculpted movie armor / video game) look.

To me, the costumes should be basic, straight forward, and elegant... not gimicky.

Also, many fans of The Batman's "modern" look seem to fail to realize that as recently as November of 2011 (when this "New 52" stuff started up), The Batman's "classic" look was the one that was always featured in the comics. So the classic look has been a steady part of the Batman mythology for a whole lot longer than his so-called "modern Robo-Bat" look... about 72 years by my calculation.

Even Dick Grayson's classic green pixie shoes and shorts Robin costume appeared as recently as 2010 in the "Batman: Under the Red Hood" DVD and possibly even in the pages of the comics after that.

Ultimately, this comes down to a matter of taste. For me, there will always be one look for the Caped Crusaders... their tried and true CLASSIC look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"