Batman 2- Unproduced Script

Supermaniac said:
hey no worries...

i'm bored. it gave me something to do for 5 minutes. but this thread isn't to talk about the ways in which i could have posted the script.

now lets hear some thoughts on this script...

:up: Hey, well done for posting this. It's easy to say, "Why didn't you just post a link?" but it's amazing how many people won't read something unless you put it right infront of them, even on the net. People are always asking, "where can I read this script/article/news story?" Or "When is this movie/game/product released?" You're on the internet! The greatest source of information ever created! Look for it!

Anyway, I like this script, it's a facinating look at what a proper sequel to Batman would have been. Returns is almost a parallel dimension version of Batman, or The Penguin Before Christmas as I've literally just decided to start calling it.

While I'm glad Burton ultimately didn't go with this script, as it's too......normal......for his sensibilities, if another director had taken the chair, I'd have been happy to see this.

Eh, it has it's moments. I found BATMAN RETURNS to be much more interesting, better written, etc. This feels rushed in a few places, and some of it is just...yeah. Still, some nice moments that obviously made it into RETURNS. I prefer RETURNS, though, to this, which felt a lot lighter than BATMAN to me.

Hmm, do you think you could kind of summarize a bit of it, I really dont have the time, or even the desire to read that. I'm just curious to know what major differences there would've been. Same villains? Any added characters? Is that the one with Harvey Dent in the role Max Schrek took over?

Katsuro: I suppose I can offer you a summery of sorts. I'm not sure how helpful it will be but here we go...

The story takes place in the winter, just days away from Christmas. It is apperant that Batman's existence is now well known in Gotham City as a group of young ruffians who call themself The Order Of The Bat are now functioning and supporting the Batman in his war on crime.
Vicki Vale returns in this script as Bruce Wayne's love interest. The thing about it though is that she now knows he is Batman.
Another character introduced in this script is Mr. Boniface AKA The Penguin. Now i'm not quite sure why they couldn't have just called Boniface, Oswald Cobblepot but i suppose it doesn't matter because the character remains the same. He is not the grostesque version like we got in Batman Returns but rather more like the comics version.
The other villain in this script comes in the form (and what a form she must have hehe) of Selina Kyle/ Catwoman. She is portrayed alot like her comic book version here as well although give or take a few changes.
Basically the gist of it is that the Penguin wants to steal these 5 raven statues that when brought together will show him the way to a vast fortune. The ravens belong to the heirs of the Raven Society who headed the 5 Famlies of Gotham City. With the help of Catwoman he begins murdering the owners of the ravens and stealing the raven statuettes. Along the way Bruce Wayne discovers that his great grandfather was a member of the Raven Society. Basically the story is just about the Penguin and Catwoman trying to obtain all 5 raven statues in order to discover the location of the treasure (which we learn later on is buried beneath wayne manor). It sounds like a dumb plot but i think it is fairly well pulled off. It's not perfect but hey it works for me.
Another new character in this script is Dick Grayson. I like how he was portrayed here. He never was Robin. Just Dick Grayson. That's the only way it should have been had Tim Burton chosen to put 'Robin' in Batman Returns (the movie that evolved out of this script eventually).
Max Shreck is not in this script. Although the character Randall Shaw (one of the owners of one of the five raven statuettes) did remind me of him.
All in all I liked the script and found it rather enjoyable. I definatly would not have minded seeing it actually made into the second Batman movie. Although if this script hadn't been turned down we never would have been given the chance to see Batman Returns in all its glory.
The script was good but i'm not too sure if it surpasses Returns.
One thing that kind of angered me was the fact that two pages are missing from this script.

And I did finish reading it with a couple of questions in mind: how did the Penguin/ Catwoman know about the Raven Society and the five raven statuettes that would lead them to the treasure? And how did Bruce Wayne know that Selina Kyle was in fact the Catwoman? I'm pretty sure nothing was ever shown in the script to show that he discovered this fact. Was it in one of the missing pages? Or did I just miss out on something there?

I like Batman Returns better but I like how Vicki was in this script.

I'm not sure if this would work as a movie.

I like that Vicki is there, but Bruce's personality is just...eh. I really don't like him here.

I've just finished reading it. I don't know if it's on par with 'Batman Returns' but I think with a couple of rewrites this could've been great. It would've been nice to see a direct sequel of the first 'Batman.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"