Unproduced Batman 2 Script by Sam Hamm

BobJM

Uncle Charlie
Reaction score
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/batman-returns_unproduced.html

There it is folks. It actually starts off great with a chase through snowy Gotham Park with Batman in pursuit of snowmobiles.

Penguin goes through a radical change and actually starts off in jail in the scrip tbut through lies and deceit makes early bail. He's more of the Penguin from the comics mixed in with the animated series and old 60s show.

Catwoman, in this script, is nothing more than a sexually driven murderer, much like Xenia Onatopp in Goldeneye. No real character except for the fact she's a museum curator and she dresses ****ty and wears a bondage Catwoman mask.

Vicki Vale is in the script as well as Dick Grayson (who carries a costume with a mysterious R on it). However, there is no Max Shreck

Some similiarities include:

- Winter Setting
- Penguin and Catwoman Team Up
- Batman's Framed
- Penguin's Zoo Lair

It's a fun read to see what could have been. However, while the script starts off really well, the plot kinda dips down when we start talking about "buried treasure".

I read half of it before, nice read tho.

I've also read half of it, when I have time I'm gonna read the other half. Anyway, yeah, it's a good read and I think, although it needed some work, this could've been the perfect sequel to 'Batman.' Not that I don't like 'Batman Returns,' I LOVE IT, I just don't really see it as a sequel to the first movie...

I just don't really see it as a sequel to the first movie...
To be fair thats pretty much what Burton wanted, im not sure if you've seen the SE edition of BR but its explained there :woot:

They pretty much all work as stand alone films.

Thanks for the link, gonna read it when I get some time.

Well theres a debate right there lol. Im not sure were i would stand on that actually...

On what, them being stand alone films?

You can watch each of the anthology films without having seen a previous one and still know whats going on. You can also watch them out of order. If you watch Batman Returns then Batman '89, there's only one thing in the entire movie that wouldn't make sense.

Yeah i agree, but there is some community in there, such as Bruce coping with killing his murder and the pain growing and such, while official they are sequels, they could be stand alone. Im pretty sure 99% of use disregard B&R from the cannon though, and even existence depending on how far you go :p

It's a fun read to see what could have been. However, while the script starts off really well, the plot kinda dips down when we start talking about "buried treasure".

Thats the problem I had with the script. The buried treasure stuff is nonsense. What we got by Daniel Waters is a lot better. Penguin was more interesting. Catwoman was a well developed character. And it was very artisitic.

i really enjoyed this script; the cat and mouse chases were nice, and robin was quite a badass. and i liked the treasure in the batcave plot

Well, the problem with this script is that it's very anti-climatic compared to the first movie. Batman saves the people from being gassed and in Batman II he... well, buried treasures.

i like baman returns the way it was

I havent read that script in awhile, but from what I remember, there are aspects that I liked, and others I really did not care for. It also didnt really present itself as a story that would lend itself as something Burton would be too terribly interested in faithfully adapting, IMO. Which of course, is exactly what happened. Despite certain elements ultimately sticking in the final shooting script.

I think that Catwoman was worse here, so was Penguin. But the story was a bit better (I even liked aspects of the treasure plot), continuity and a great Robin origin. I woud have liked to see a moldin of final and Hamm's script.

Its really not that good. The quality is not half that of B89.

Its clear why Burton when with another script.

Just htink though: If Hamm HAD delevered a great script, BR would have been a true sequel to B89! The series might have stayed on course a little longer, and Burton might have returned for BF.

It all starts and ends with the script folks.

Basically, Bruce still is a couple with Vale, Penguing is a criminal who is just getting out of jail and Catwoman is a thief who is like a sex addict, in a twisted way.
The main plan of the Penguin is to retrieve the money from the vault of Gotham City and the key to that treasure are 5 cat statues I think. Selina is the curator of the Gotham museum and as Catwoman she works for the Penguin to steal them. It is revealed that the 5 big families of Gotham hid the treasure somewhere and the Waynes were one of those families. And eventually it is revealed that the treasury is somewhere under the batcave.
Penguin finds out who Batman is (the final act takes place in Wayne Manor), Catwoman doesn't. Penguin is killed (falls to his death) and Selina is arrested.
Oh, and Robin (Dick Grayson) is introduced (he has something to do with the statues I think) and finds out about Bruce=Batman and he helps him in the final act. Plus, there are Batman wannabees in it.
In the end Bruce proposes to Vicky.

Does anyone have the original script for the first Batman film though?

I think it's on the 1st page of this subforum.

I want to read "The Batman" who wrote "Superman" script and also some James Bond scrpts. I can't remember his name tho. I heard he wrote this before Sam Hamm wrote first Batman script.

This script speaks volumes of how doomed this sequel was either way....

I want to read "The Batman" who wrote "Superman" script and also some James Bond scrpts. I can't remember his name tho. I heard he wrote this before Sam Hamm wrote first Batman script.

Tom Mankiewicz, that was a fun script it's very common around the net BTW so I'm positive if you google it it'd show up. I read it years ago and enjoyed it immensily because it borrowed a lot from my favorite Batman run (Englerhart/Rogers 70's work). But to be honest with you I'm glad it never got made cause it was too similar to the comics and when it comes to film adaptations I prefer adaptations (ala BB & BATMAN) as opposed to more direct translations.

Tom Mankiewicz, that was a fun script it's very common around the net BTW so I'm positive if you google it it'd show up. I read it years ago and enjoyed it immensily because it borrowed a lot from my favorite Batman run (Englerhart/Rogers 70's work). But to be honest with you I'm glad it never got made cause it was too similar to the comics and when it comes to film adaptations I prefer adaptations (ala BB & BATMAN) as opposed to more direct translations.

Me too. There is some great stuff in there to though. It reads too much like Superman though. Its not dark enough, and Joker and Penquin are too much together in one film. Also, its a little out there. Neads to be a little more grounded. It had more in common with BF than B89 really. In tone i mean.

Me too. There is some great stuff in there to though. It reads too much like Superman though. Its not dark enough, and Joker and Penquin are too much together in one film. Also, its a little out there. Neads to be a little more grounded. It had more in common with BF than B89 really. In tone i mean.

I was just getting ready to write the exact same thing. Great moments, but when Batman talked, I heard Chris Reeve's voice.
Silver was tons better than Vicky, though.
And Robin was totally unnecessary.
The whole film just didn't feel... big enough, just a 3-part issue of Batman. Not cinematic enough, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"