Batman 89 vs Batman Begins

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
Which film had the better origin story? Hands down, Batman Begins (2005) had not only the better origin story but it directly used the source material from the Year One comic...which is something Batman 89 definitely did not do. If Burton had used the Year One comic as source material to base his movie off of over 30 plus years ago, Batman 89 would have been a much better film. Batman Begins, with Nolan, he actually delves into Bruce's origins in detail and then shows his rise to become Batman. Character development with Bale is much better than it was with Keaton.

I think the difference is that whilst Batman '89 touches on his origin, Batman Begins is an 'origin movie'. So of course it spends far more time on the origin, and his character development along the way; we watch his journey. With Batman '89 we see him at his destination, then later get a (very) brief look at where he started. I'd say Batman Forever focuses more on Batman's origin that Batman '89 does.

Burton yeah sure he gave us his unique take on it but at the same time there are things he did borrow from the comics but he didn't borrow enough and that is where I think as an origin film that 89 fails.

This is not even a valid comparison. Batman '89 was not a Batman origin story. It had one flashback scene, but that doesn't make it an origin story and was basically done to give Joker a personal connection to Batman. Apparently it was also shoe horned in during the writers' strike, and against Sam Hamm's wishes along with other things fans didn't care for in that movie.

Begins gave us the whole journey of Bruce becoming Batman.

But at the same time you know I'm right because 89 isn't really an origin film. Yeah it is but then again it really isn't though, not like Batman Begins

This is not even a valid comparison. Batman '89 was not a Batman origin story. It had one flashback scene, but that doesn't make it an origin story and was basically done to give Joker a personal connection to Batman. Apparently it was also shoe horned in during the writers' strike, and against Sam Hamm's wishes along with other things fans didn't care for in that movie.

Begins gave us the whole journey of Bruce becoming Batman.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Exactly Begins does give you Bruce's whole origins especially from his childhood witnessing his parents' murder at the hands of Joe Chill then goes into his teenage years confronting Carmine Falcone, the man who ordered Bruce's parents' deaths and then him disappearing for years after that training with Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows and then coming back to Gotham in his 20s/30s heading up Wayne Enterprises and becoming The Batman

That is a true origin

Batman '89 shouldn't be criticised in that respect as it didn't set out to do the same thing as Batman Begins did later. It wasn't Burton's intention to show a detailed breakdown of Batman's full origin. The movie achieved what it set out to do.

Categories in which I would say Batman Begins and Batman 89 can be compared to each other are

- The overall styles of each film in terms of tone/darkness

- However, Keaton his Bruce Wayne/Batman...comes off as dark but you can tell from his eyes that he could really make you believe that he was Bruce Wayne/Batman. I'm talking in terms of edge, right sense of humor and amount of menace needed. But then you also have to give Bale more of an edge in this category. Why? Bale came off as being more of a jaded, tortured soul than Keaton but also his martial arts training far surpassed that of Keaton.

- In the villains department, Nolan has the edge over Burton

- Soundtrack department...I'll give Burton the edge over Nolan

But in terms of overall categories...comparing both movies it isn't even close Batman Begins is the superior origin film

One other thing I remember Hamm complaining about for sure was Alfred taking Vicky into the Batcave.

I think the difference is that whilst Batman '89 touches on his origin, Batman Begins is an 'origin movie'. So of course it spends far more time on the origin, and his character development along the way; we watch his journey. With Batman '89 we see him at his destination, then later get a (very) brief look at where he started. I'd say Batman Forever focuses more on Batman's origin that Batman '89 does.

I think you're spot on. They're very different films with very different goals. I see B89 as a way of re-defining the Batman in the consciousness of the 1980s general audience whose previous impression of Batman was the campy 1960s show.

The goal wasn't so much to show you how Batman came to be, it was to say "this is what Batman is". Basically, by the time Burton came on board, they wanted to hit the ground running from a narrative pov, and leave behind the long origin in earlier drafts over the decade .

Batman Begins was made in a very different context with a very different goal. So Begins is the better origin film by far.

That said, the most fun I've had at a Batman film in terms of the audience reaction and vibe in the theater, was Batman in 1989.

It's one of those moments in time that you had to have been there to appreciate it, and you can't really get a sense of what it was like by reading about it ,or watching youtube videos about it.

You had to have been there in the 1980s and seen the film and experience the hype to understand why the film was so popular despite its flaws.

The Dark Knight in 2008 is a close second in terms of enjoyment at a theater and the hype around it.

I had a good time watching Begins ,but it was nothing compared to 89 in terms of that electricity in the theater.

I think you're spot on. They're very different films with very different goals. I see B89 as a way of re-defining the Batman in the consciousness of the 1980s general audience whose previous impression of Batman was the campy 1960s show.

The goal wasn't so much to show you how Batman came to be, it was to say "this is what Batman is". Basically, by the time Burton came on board, they wanted to hit the ground running from a narrative pov, and leave behind the long origin in earlier drafts over the decade .
Absolutely. And I completely agree about the hype of seeing Batman '89 in the cinema, of finally seeing a live-action, serious take on Batman. Although I prefer Batman Returns, I'll always thank Batman '89 for that (I'll always have some love for the Adam West show though!). As for Batman Begins, I definitely prefer it to Batman '89.

Last edited:
Batman Begins by far. as stated before, Batman 1989 is not even an origin film, while Batman Begins starts off by introducing us to Bruce Wayne as a child. And overall its just a better movie.

Last edited:
Batman Begins as it's a far better movie and I feel that Christopher Nolan had a better understanding about Batman than Tim Burton ever did. I thought the characterisation of Bruce Wayne in BB was brilliant as he seemed more down to the earth, relatable and human than the Bruce Wayne in Batman 89.

Absolutely. And I completely agree about the hype of seeing Batman '89 in the cinema, of finally seeing a live-action, serious take on Batman. Although I prefer Batman Returns, I'll always thank Batman '89 for that (I'll always have some love for the Adam West show though!). As for Batman Begins, I definitely prefer it to Batman '89.

I enjoy Begins and B89 both as Batman films purely, though 89 will always be my first love. It was the film that got me into Batman as a ten year old.

It was like a revelation for me. Up to that point, my heroes were Superman(Chris Reeve), Luke Skywalker, Marty McFly, and The Ghostbusters.

Batman was something totally different from the others for me, and from that point on, I was hooked on the character and the myths. Batman 89 was my gateway into the larger world of comics , superhero, fandom , etc.

So for me, despite its flaws and short comings, its always gonna have a special place for me.

Weird that the OP didn't put up a poll for this.

Begins is the better ‘Batman’ film, Batman has the greater nostalgia / wow factor in terms of influence, upon seeing it at 14 as a mad Batman fan whom this was really the first time we’d seen, beyond West’s version, a big-screen Batman film and it blew my mind, but the more accurately portrayed and produced Batman is clearly Begins, and it’s the better film.

One other thing I remember Hamm complaining about for sure was Alfred taking Vicky into the Batcave.
I just rewatched Batman Returns and noticed that Bruce complained of that as well. How meta. :yay:

I think the better comparison would be Batman Begins vs Superman the Movie & Batman ‘89 vs The Dark Knight

Begins is the better ‘Batman’ film, Batman has the greater nostalgia / wow factor in terms of influence, upon seeing it at 14 as a mad Batman fan whom this was really the first time we’d seen, beyond West’s version, a big-screen Batman film and it blew my mind, but the more accurately portrayed and produced Batman is clearly Begins, and it’s the better film.

That's another way I separate them as well.

I think Begins is a better made film which is more accurate , while B89 was the influential , pop culture, event movie.

B89 really revived the Batman brand to general audiences and cemented the character and the myths as "dark" to the GA from that time and forward. It also brought Batmania to a level it hadn't been since the 60s.

Begins wasn't a cultural touch stone like that ,even though it was a success and got good reviews.

The Dark Knight ,however, was much closer to being as influential , popular, and iconic as Batman was in 89.

But in terms of true origin story/origin film that is comic accurate to the character's origin then Begins is the real origin film not 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"