Batman After Nolan

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Gabe99, Dec 4, 2010.

1. NotSoLongAgo

NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

Well if I had my way this is how I would do it.

Hand the franchise over to David Fincher (se7en, Panic Room, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network). He has an impressive career so far and his style fits with the bats.

Have it be more like B:TAS, dark like he should be still retaining it's comic book elements.

Karl Urban as Bruce/Bats

Bill Nighy as Alfred

Bruce Boxleitner as Com. Gordon

Ray Liotta as Harvey Bullock

Viggo Mortensen as the Joker

Charlize Theron as Harley Quinn

Oliver Platt as The Penguin

Emily Blunt as Catwoman

Guy Pearce as Two-Face

2. TruerToTheCore

TruerToTheCore Well-Known Member

Yes, because we all want to see another origin movie :o

What is it with superheroes these days? All that focus on the goddamn origin. There are other stories to tell. And just because one detail didn't feel right everything has to start again, am I right? :cwink:

3. Gotham22

Gotham22 Well-Known Member

No more realism crap for Batman after TDKR.

4. TruerToTheCore

TruerToTheCore Well-Known Member

They could change the tone. No need for a reboot.

5. Mister Meddle

Mister Meddle The Barber of Seville

As much as I love the Nolan films, I agree that the Batman Universe shouldn't be over-the-top 'realistic'. It'll be nice if Nolan changes the tone for TDK Rises. I loved the way the Batman Universe was portrayed in BTAS and I always wanted to see that expressed on film in an appropriate manner, unlike the Schumacher films.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  6. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Inspired by BTAS and the 70's comics. Directed by Alfonso Cuaron.

A nice mix of realism and fantasy.

7. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

Agreed, 110%. To this day, I still feel the Animated DC Universe of recent years is probably the best DC Comics on screen interpretation ever. Dini and Timm treated the characters in a serious and respectful and faithful manner while still maintaining a decent dose of the fantasy in a perfect balance. That's what I would like to see in a live action movie series.

8. Gotham22

Could a dark Batman film still in the Nolan continuity work with a fiction/CGI Gotham City.

Not over the top like in the Schumacher-Bat films. But like in the comics, B:TAS, and Batman89.

9. Gotham22

Could a dark Batman film in the Nolan continuity still work with a fiction/CGI Gotham City?

Nothing over the top like in the Schumacher films. But like in the comics, BTAS, and Batman89.

10. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Mr. Jackpots

Michael Fassbender as Batman / Bruce Wayne
    Bryan Cranston as Jim Gordon
    Timothy Dalton as Alfred Pennyworth
    Clarke Peters as Lucius Fox
    Javier Bardem as Ra's al Ghul
    Sharlto Copley as The Riddler
    Mark Pellegrino as The Scarecrow
    Brendan Gleeson as Commissioner Loeb

11. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

There's no question where to go... Wait 3 years after Nolan is finished and release a film version of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

12. Gotham22

Just some ideas for Batman after Nolan. Instead of another reboot/orgin story.

- Wait a few or several years to release another Batman film.
    - Whole new cast/crew
    - New director
    - Still in the Nolan universe
    - Story taking place a few/several years after TDKR.
    - Joker can return (unfortunately maybe no Two-Face, Ra's al Ghul and if a villain dies in TDKR).

Then again maybe Two Face and any other villain that died can return.
    Still in the Nolan Universe but stand alone sequels from BB, TDK, and TDKR.

Just like the old franchise. Batman89, BR, BF, and B&R in the same universe/continuity but stand alone films from one another.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  13. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

i'd rather see Miller's Dark Knight Returns finally realized. It's a much more interesting story (the best Batman story, even?)

Keaton as the aged Bruce Wayne/Batman
    Bruce Willis/Billy Zane (?) as Harvey Dent
    Ellen Page as Robin/Carrie Kelley
    Brad Dourif as the Joker (or Willem Dafoe)
    Pfieffer as Catwoman
    Jim Caviezel as Clark Kent
    Rutger Hauer as Jim Gordon
    David Warner as Alfred

14. Mister Meddle

Mister Meddle The Barber of Seville

In TDKR Bruce Wayne is 40 but Michael Keaton is 59. Maybe in a Batman Beyond film (yes, I know I mentioned it before) he could reprise his role as Bruce Wayne but he's too to play as a 40 year old vigilante.

15. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

Sorry to burst ya on that one... but in Miller's Dark Knight Returns, Batman is 55 years old. Says so in the graphic novel. ;)

16. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Hopefully, after Nolan leaves, there are move Batman movies. I'd like to see some more like the comics, but please God, please, no reboot. You don't have to follow the continuity, but just don't start over again.

17. KillerCarlson

KillerCarlson Well-Known Member

Look, i'm going dismiss the Fincher thing right now, the guy already has his own trilogy lined up in the dragon tattoo series, not to mention his other projects. Futhermore i wouldn't be surprised is Nolan not only stayed but did another trilogy. My reasoning is, i look for both catwoman and penguin to be in the dark knight rises. Penguin will be the main villain to tie up the gangster theme nolan has had. That be said, i fully expect nolan to want to do riddler in a dark way. The character is amazing. The only way a character/villain could ever beat heath's joker is if nolan did the riddler. And Nolan likes challenges. I would guess to see a similar seen like at the end of batman begins (Joker) to see something similar for riddler in the dark knight rises to leave the door open...

If nolan leaves no doubt martin campbell is a decent choice, as long as it doesnt turn into 007

18. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Serenity now!

I just double checked... on pg. 45 of the last issue of the series (Book four) when they are burying Bruce Wayne, the news woman states he is "55 years old"... so in theory, Keaton could reprise Batman if they wanted him to. They could do him up ala Bruce Willis in Sin City (gave him a hairline again) and make Keaton fit the age.

I personally think the buzz of Keaton reprising the role of Batman would be HUGE, let alone for the fact that they'd finally be adapting what is arguably one of the best, if not the best, Batman stories ever.

19. MessiahDecoy123

You have to reboot. If you do a less realistic Batman movie with all the same actors it will be awkward and weird to say the least.

You don't need an origin story just flashbacks of Bruce's training during his trails as Batman.

20. SuperFerret

NO. YOU. DON'T.

:wall:

21. MessiahDecoy123

Yeah so when Gary Oldman gets kidnapped by Mr. Freeze and Clayface in a totally different Gotham the audience isn't going to think, "what the hell is this"?

22. SuperFerret

Nope, they won't. First off, Nolan's Batman series hasn't necessarily ruled those two out. Second, Oldman probably won't stick around after Nolan leaves. Third, and I cannot stress this enough, do you know of the DTV Batman animated movies? Do you think that they're all sequels of each other? Do you think that they're sequels of Batman Begins or The Dark Knight? I mean, they have Batman in them, don't they? But they're not reboots, right?

23. Cain

Cain I Heart Amazons

There will always be Batman movies. This stuff is much bigger than any one director & cast. Reboot and origin ARE NOT interchangeable. I don't get why that's so difficult for people to comprehend. I don't want Nolan's continuity or anything to do with his world to remain. For the simple fact that you will have his crazed fans and probably he himself complaining about the integrity of his pictures being compromised by a more fantastical take in that same setting.

To avoid all that just go ahead and tell a new Batman story with a different aesthetic and a different feel. No need for origin at all just switching things up will make it clear that it's a new iteration of the mythos. Batman has survived many different versions in 70 + years it's what keeps him fresh. So don't limit the creativity of one creator by having them adhere to the sensibilities of another, it makes no sense to do that in an artistic medium.

24. MessiahDecoy123

Each of the DTV have their own continuity just as a reboot or restart would.

If you continue Nolan's influence after Rises with the same actors and setting it's not going to feel "new" as it should.

25. MessiahDecoy123

Who siad Fincher was going to do the entire Girl with Tatoo trilogy?

an no thanks to Martin Cambell. His Hal Jordan is a goof ball.