Batman and Harley Quinn - Based on Original Story by Bruce Timm

Get ready for some pretty divisive reactions to this film. This is not Mask of the Phantasm 2, this is not a continuation of JLU or a dramatic exploration of Nightwing's detachment from Batman after the TNBA years. This is fun, silly and totally heartwarming in places. Some will hate it, some will like it.

I LOVED it.

It was so nostalgic to see the classic Bruce Timm (and up on the big screen) style, with Conroy and Lester doing what they do best. The jokes were genuinely funny and Harley Quinn stayed true to her character (although in a PG-13 manner). People will complain like mad about the scene between Nightwing and Harley, but it got great laughs out of the audience and unlike the Babs debacle from last year, I felt Timm earned this one.

I hope this sells well as I really want more DTV's like this (and hopefully a more serious one also set in the DCAU).

I know I'll mostly be in the minority with this, but hey, I had a good time.
I feel the same. :up:

I was just joking the other day that they'd add toilet humor to this to match the Quinn comics. I didn't really think they'd do it. I hate being unintentionally right sometimes.

This was pretty bad, I could go on but all I'll just say what if there was a crappy episode of BTAS? Now this is that except 65 or so minutes long.

Positive review time:

Bruce Timm has been getting a significant bit of bashing on the internet for the last year. Someone who was once revered across the board has been seemingly kicked off his pedestal. I'll never know how one little miscalculation (from a team of people) can make individuals suddenly dismiss a man who has brought us excellent work for the past 25 years.

That all being said, Batman and Harley Quinn will not help alleviate any of that bashing.

This is certainly an odd little movie. It's clearly designed to be as lightweight as possible and bring a great deal of fun to these (often) morose DTV's. After Killing Joke and the last two outings (one literally titled DARK) this is just what I needed and evidently just what Timm needed. I know this movie won't be for everyone: The animation is wonky, the plot is wafer-thin, the ending anti-climatic and none of the characters are developed or dramatically explored in any significant way. Perhaps the most infuriating for most, is the fact that it uses the DCAU designs, is most likely set in that continuity, and does not do a thing with it.

All of the above are valid criticisms, but they didn't bother me one bit. It was like a nostalgic sugar-rush seeing the Bruce Timm designs again, all the characters felt true to who they are and the story moved along at a brisk pace for the most part. I laughed and was even slightly moved by a few heart-warming moments. The scene with Nightwing and Harley in the ambulance was genuinely touching and so what if they had sex? It completely fits in with Harley's character (in this PG-13 world) and was mostly playful. Who's to say what was going on off-screen with Catwoman, Talia and Wonder Woman?

The voice cast were exemplary, with Conroy delivering as always. It was a joy to hear his voice bouncing off Loren Lester once more (hopefully it won't be the last time). Melissa Rauch was excellent as Harley (no Arleen Sorkin, but honestly more enjoyable than Strong). I would be happy to hear her reprise the role in the future. Paget Brewster, while not exactly sultry, was a very cute Poison Ivy.

I will agree with others than the animation is not what it should've been. DR Movie have animated tons of Timm designed work before and never had a problem, unless they have new crews now. JLU looked better than this, despite being a good 10-12 years older. A shame, as it will be another reason for some to dismiss the movie. I can already hear the critics (''These designs don't work in today's modern animation landscape'', blah, blah).

Special shout-out for the great music. I always get chills when I hear that classic Batman theme.

So yeah, I loved it. It's not without its flaws, but it's a fun romp - it weirdly took me back to my childhood and then dragged that world into my adulthood. It has Conroy, Lester and Timm back at the helm. That's good enough for me. My favourite DCAU DTV of the year. Keep an open mind, and you might just be pleasantly surprised.

Saw it last night and I agree... it was a fun little movie that isn't meant for deep storytelling. My only complaint is I wasn't a fan of Melissa Rauch as Harley at first but she kinda won me over once it was said and done.

I'd give it a 8/10

I wasn't impressed by the trailers, but in the actual film she sounded good.

I give it 7.5/10. It's pretty much what I expected. Simple, goofy, heart-warming at times and familiar. I own Harley & Ivy by Dini and Timm (love this 3-issue story), and perhaps it added perspective to the new film in my case. It's definitely not Phantasm, Mad Love or other most dramatic episodes from the classic series. Timm wanted to goof around with this one. I think Pfeiffer-Pfan detailed it really well where people will have gripes with it.

I need that Superbabes restuarant in my life...

I need that Superbabes restuarant in my life...

1O4LZFQ.gif

So underwhelming. Story was ok. Voicing was good, even Rauch. Just didnt enjoy it like I feel like i could have. Probably not re watchable to be honest.

So...on a side-note, since the voice acting is coming up a lot, is there a reason they can't just get Arleen Sorkin back to voice Harley? After all, how many times has Mark Hamill said he's done voicing the Joker, only to come back?

So...on a side-note, since the voice acting is coming up a lot, is there a reason they can't just get Arleen Sorkin back to voice Harley? After all, how many times has Mark Hamill said he's done voicing the Joker, only to come back?

From what it seems, she unlike the rest of em' officially retired in the early 2010s.
While Tara Strong is the go-to, Hynden Walch (Starfire) sounds the closest to Sorkin, imho.

Melissa Rauch already has quite the potential to take over the role if they're willing to phase out Tara.

Nightwing is dodging Harley's attacks until he saw her purse breaks the pavement, good time to block mister professional crime fighter.

"Ivy is a natural mutation". I'm pretty sure she was human.

And of course, that habit of the protection wearing troopers going out real fast while the unprotected ones stand I see in many sources of entertainment. :whatever:

I have no further issues, this and the 66 animated films are easily the best ones in a long line of animated films.

Just watched it. It was not as terrible as some reviews made it out to be. But honestly, it wasn't great either. I was somewhat disappointed with the animation. There were way too many moments when the animation was really wonky. You'd think going back to the simple DCAU art style would make animation work way easier. Batman, at times, just seemed too playful. Also it was kinda sad to watch that plant guy waste all those security guards and ARGUS soldiers I assume, with his numerous abilities, but when it came to fighting Batman and Nightwing, he only used close combat. And that ending... seriously?

Overall, I'd probably give it a 6/10.

Nightwing is dodging Harley's attacks until he saw her purse breaks the pavement, good time to block mister professional crime fighter.

How the heck did that not break one of his arms?

Last edited:
Also it was kinda sad to watch that plant guy waste all those security guards and ARGUS soldiers I assume, with his numerous abilities, but when it came to fighting Batman and Nightwing, he only used close combat.
They couldn't even phase him together, I felt like 'eh, whatever'.

How the heck did that not break one of his arms?
I'm watching the series again recently, and a lot of the things Batman survives are supposed to be fatal to him. I think this might be rather consistent with that display of durability and toughness.

What in the holy hell am I watching? Fart jokes...really? What has Bruce Timm stooped himself down to?

Well...it was better than half of The Killing Joke, I guess. Not exactly a high bar though. This was bad.

Still more enjoyable than any of the NEW 52 Tucker led films, so at least there's that.

Dini should have been asked back for this one.

I was expecting the Batman equivalent of the awful Superman: Braniac Attacks, but ultimately I liked it.

For those who haven't watched it, don't go in expecting deep emotional beats.
This is a full-on feel-good movie and it did its job. It was fun, and though not every joke landed, the overwhelming majority of the levity was well received.

It is also absolutely NOT FOR KIDs.

Last edited:
I didn't care for this much at all. It was mostly dumb humor, no real character development. Batman and Nightwing often came off as stupid. Especially Nightwing. I didn't care for Harley's voice. The only scene I thoroughly enjoyed was the club for hench people scene as it was loaded with easter eggs of hench characters from BTAS.

One of the weakest efforts for a DC animated movie. So disappointing.

I think the DCAU needs an injection of new talent. I haven't been wowed by an animated feature in quite a while.

A few significant people that made the DCAU what it was have now retired (Burnett, Romano) or passed away.

I like Timm quite a bit, but I agree, he needs to be tempered by other creative forces and (frankly) some censorship again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"