Batman: Earth One

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Drz, Dec 7, 2009.

1. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

qft

2. Two-Face

Two-Face Harvey Dent

Why would be stupid? I like it either way oval or black bat.

3. Batjosh

Batjosh Well-Known Member

You mean they're coming out with something that allows me to enjoy Batman without having to explain a bunch of history anytime a friend or my girlfriend decides to read the story I bought? I'm in!

4. Scarlet

Scarlet New Member

Is there a set release date ?

5. Drz

Drz Real Hero

Just slated for 2010, thats the only thing we know so far.

6. CrimsonMist

CrimsonMist Well-Known Member

Because there's nothing else visually interesting about that costume. The black bat would make it look even more generic than it does. The oval gives it some contrast. It's striking. It's simple and effective.

This isn't directed you, but I don't understand the hate for the oval. It's not like Batman goes around flaunting his chest yelling at criminals "HEY LOOK AT THIS BRIGHT YELLOW THING ON MY CHEST!!!!". And i think alot of people forget that Batman actually wears a CAPE that can COVER it when it needs to be covered. People act like the thing radiates yellow light or something. Stealthy or not, he's still a damn comic character and there will always be license taken with reality to make certain things work.

7. ironman29758

ironman29758 Well-Known Member

well actually the only reason I kind of like the yellow oval because the criminal attacks the chest instead of the head(kind of the reason Frank Miller said in DKR and we saw in the first batman movie) but other wise no yellow oval for me

8. Cain

Cain I Heart Amazons

Just an observation but I've noticed the only people I've seen knock the oval most are the ones who got into Batman comics this decade or got into Batman through the Nolan movies. I've never seen anybody else before that complain about the yellow bat insignia really.

9. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

well then, i'll be your first to disrupt that (dis)illusion.

10. CrimsonMist

CrimsonMist Well-Known Member

I never really bought that theory. If someone has the patience and the time and no pressure on him to take aim at Batman, they'd probably shoot him in the head. But when you're getting chased down a dark alley by Batman, you have no time to turn around, take careful aim and hit Batman in the head. You're just gonna shoot wildly and pray to god you hit and kill him. The same applies for the oval. You're just gonna shoot wildly at him. You're not gonna take careful aim and hit the oval. Saying it draws attention to gunfire is just giving it a purpose that may have already been there or never needed to be stated in the first place.

The oval is part of the character. It looks cool. Even if someone decided to make a Bendis-Daredevil style Batman series, i'd want the oval. Who cares if it "doesn't make sense". Alot in the Batman world doesn't make sense. The oval should be at the bottom of the list.

11. raybia

raybia Signing off

This is part of an interview with Grant Morrison about his "Return of Bruce Wayne" that I think can be applied to this new graphic novel as well.

A. The challenge is to keep everything familiar while making what appear to be far-reaching changes and having characters react as if those changes are permanent!

Batman needs to be eternally young, renewed like some pagan Fertility King to suit the changing tastes of his audience in each fresh generation. Batman can never grow old or die — and stories, no matter how good, which depict these events cannot be considered "canon." Batman was born in 1939 and would now be a sprightly 70-year-old if he aged like the rest of us. The "real" Batman, however, enjoys godlike immortality and must always be 30-ish moneyed orphan, Bruce Wayne, who dresses as a bat to fight crime. The trick is to tell stories which expand the limits of how far you can go and still maintain the integrity of the basic idea. And everything has to be done with the knowledge and understanding that I — as the current writer — am only a tiny link in a long chain of all the people who already have or will one day tell stories about Batman.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. Reilly28

Reilly28 Well-Known Member

I am excited about this. I mostly read Marvel, and have been looking for a jumping on point for Batman and Superman, and this is where I plan to begin.

13. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Geoff Johns + Batman = Dream come true.

14. mothy

mothy Well-Known Member

this interests me greatly. i'm a graphic novel guy. i don't buy monthly comics as much as i used to. this will be my entry point. it's exciting how they will not have continuity constraints. unlimited creative freedom, new characters and elements. a batman for today doing it their way -whilst still retaining the character, set during his early career. excellent.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  15. Red Mask

Red Mask Human Killing Machine

I like the return of the yellow emblem on his chest. The classic black one has gotten dull again. I like how the seams are drawn. Even Batman can wear a bowling ball bag on head.

16. TruerToTheCore

TruerToTheCore Well-Known Member

I will check this out.

17. raybia

raybia Signing off

Exact reason I'm going to buy it too. I believe that is one of the expectations that DC has with this graphic novel.

18. raybia

raybia Signing off

Damn this is a great post! I like you!:up:

19. alexdunn

alexdunn Spagett!

It's about time there's a proper Ultimate DC. Even though All Star Superman is amazing, All Star was kinda a fail.

20. Comics N' Toons

Comics N' Toons Viva La Revolucion!

i was kind of hoping tha they'd create a world based on a mix of Tim Burton's Batman 89 and THE LEGENDS OF BATMAN toy line from years ago...

this would be cool to see as the Batmobile:

[​IMG]

OR maybe even the batmobile from the Arkham Asylum video game! that was sweet

21. alexdunn

alexdunn Spagett!

I used to LOVE those toys. Always wanted that Batmobile, but never got it... : (

22. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

Add that to the fact that Batman wears a bulky utility belt thats always colored the exact same brightness as the oval...for the most part, its just fanboys who take the character too seriously, as ususal.

23. Comics N' Toons

my opinion is that GENERALLY those who "HATE" the ellipse are newbs!

people who have been reading comics since the early 90's generally don't care either way abourt black bat or ellipse insignia!

if you started reading books since the new batman movies have been out... well, you've missed so much... there is so much to collect &

IF YOU HATE THE yellow ellipse YOU ARE STRANGE!

very strange indeed!

24. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

i do not like the yellow ellipse and i've been loving and reading batman since i was a little kid. i think its stupid to try to classify and define people by their opinion of the yellow ellipse. some people like it, other people do not. it has nothing to do with their "status" as a fan.

25. Comics N' Toons

Sorry, I just can't see someone who has read comics for a long time & been primarily exposed to the ellipse being against it!

It's classic Batman...