Batman more popular then Superman?

Spider-Man is more popular than both of them.

giphy.gif

Hmmm, debatable. For those are definitely the top 3 well-known and loved in the public consciousness.

If we're talking cold, hard dollars, Spider-man is without a doubt the most popular. I'm not sure of a better barometer to measure it, but merchandising figures show that the wall-crawler is comfortably at the top.

In North America it's debatable whether Spider-man is more popular than Batman or not. But overseas, Spider-man is king. Nobody touches him. His merchandise number are off the charts.

Superman is more well known internationally, Batman is way more liked domestically.

Spider-Man's the best seller.

Batman's the most popular.

Superman is the most iconic. Hell the name superhero came from the creation of Superman. He's got one of the most recognizable logo of all time.

Spider-man the best seller, yet Batman is the most popular? You can quantify merchandising figures, but how do you quantify popularity? For what it's worth I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with you, I'm just questioning your assertion.

Im still trying to figure out where someone goes to see what hero sells more merchandise then the other.

Spider-man the best seller, yet Batman is the most popular? You can quantify merchandising figures, but how do you quantify popularity? For what it's worth I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with you, I'm just questioning your assertion.

Well by popular I mean when you look, we currently have Batman games selling better than Spidey, Batman films doing better than Spidey, a Batman show (although that's pushing it as a "Batman" show), Batman comics outselling Spidey comics.

Spidey sells better because he's a lot more kid friendly than Batman. Not that there's anything wrong with that but Batman is a bit darker for kids to get into while Spidey isn't as dark you know? Not trying to hate Spidey because I love both but if I was to hand a kid a Spidey comic or Batman comic, I'd probably hand him Spidey.

For example it's like how Lara Croft is more popular than Snake, trying to think of a good video game comparison and that's what I thought of, but Snake's video games outsell Lara's but Lara is more popular.

Get what I mean?

Well by popular I mean when you look, we currently have Batman games selling better than Spidey, Batman films doing better than Spidey, a Batman show (although that's pushing it as a "Batman" show), Batman comics outselling Spidey comics.

Get what I mean?

Quality plays a big factor obviously, but I get your point. Across all platforms Spidey sells more then Batman, but in the key areas like film, gaming and television, Bats has all the momentum at the moment.

Can your give me your source? I'm just curious to see some actual data.

It was from one of those annual lists (forbes?) where they list the top-selling merchandise brands of the year. Basically Spider-Man is the only comic book character in the top 10 and quite comfortably over any other. The rest of the top 10 was pretty much Star Wars and Disney-related characters. This isn't a one year thing either, Spidey usually wins the annual race. The article I read it in also made reference to how the 90's Fox Spider-Man cartoon would continually beat Batman:TAS in the ratings which is one of the reasons WB made Superman:TAS as a companion.

Wow, that's a bigger gap then I thought. Now if we can only get good films and games.

Mjölnir;32172187 said:
A quick googling gave me this. It's not even close.

Thanks for the article.

Holy **** ! I'd love to know where they got their data, because I see more Batman and Superman logos in my average day than Spider-Man (although I suppose kids sales must be huge). But hey, until I see
hard evidence to the contrary, looks like Spidey is King.

Anyway, big ups to Spidey for bringing home the cold hard cash - Sony must be cackling with glee.

Now back to this thread, which doesn't concern Spidey at all......

Superman has better theme music ! Not that Batman's isn't good, but Williams' original Supeman march is the ultimate superhero theme -it's like someone put uplifting adventure into music.

Batman's not bad though, loved Elfman's theme and Zimmer's work -although I rate Man of Steel's music as at least as good as TDK and BB, and better than TDKR.

Peace out super-fans :super:

Sony doesn't make money of Spider-Man merchandise. It's one of the reasons employees were disappointed in the reboot's performances if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's changed with the new deal with Marvel.

Sony doesn't make money of Spider-Man merchandise. It's one of the reasons employees were disappointed in the reboot's performances if I remember correctly. I don't know if that's changed with the new deal with Marvel.

Does Marvel own the merchandise rights to Spidey ? If so, good on them - but it makes me wonder how Disney was able to buy those too, can you imagine what the right to licence Spidey's image on merchandise must be worth ? Wow.

And while Superman has the best theme music, Spidey has some cool stuff too, like this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE

Does Marvel own the merchandise rights to Spidey ? If so, good on them - but it makes me wonder how Disney was able to buy those too, can you imagine what the right to licence Spidey's image on merchandise must be worth ? Wow.

And while Superman has the best theme music, Spidey has some cool stuff too, like this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE

One of the complaints...

http://gawker.com/sony-hack-reveals-25-page-list-of-reasons-it-sucks-to-w-1666264634

Are you aware that Men In Black 3 may gross $600M at the box office, and yet will lose money for SPE? Shouldn't we question that strategy? Why are some studios making Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight - and we are considering movies like Moneyball, Steve Jobs story, Captain Phillips Story, Evel Knievel story, etc. Are you aware that SPE only has 1 franchise - Spiderman. Yet, it took 5 years to generate a sequel? Spidey 3 was released in summer 2007, #4 in 2012. Don't harry potters come out over 2-3 years? Are you aware that SPE has only 1 franchise - Spidey? Yet we waited 5 years after Spidey 3 (2007) to release #4? Have you read the SEC annual report? Disney will make $300M on Spidey merchandise this year alone. We won't!

I think Batman is more popular than superman because he does not have the powers superman does. He is more human and has more of a human side to him/ that we can relate to.

he also has a bat side to him that i can relate to, because i'm part bat

Quality plays a big factor obviously, but I get your point. Across all platforms Spidey sells more then Batman, but in the key areas like film, gaming and television, Bats has all the momentum at the moment.

These things ebb and flow. They rarely remain static. If you solely look at the movies right now, Iron Man is the most popular superhero going at the moment. He has the highest grossing stand alone superhero film ever. Yet that's just one singular aspect taken out of the greater context. Hulk used to be Marvel's most popular character for like a decade back when the old TV show was around. He isn't any more. He's probably still in their top 5 but that's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"