Batman more popular then Superman?

I have a feeling more dedicated fans who read the comics and go on the forums and such like Superman more,
but the fan's who are kind of just casual, watch the movies but don't read comics but are still big fans like Batman more, and that's most likely due to Christopher Nolan's take on the character.

I have a feeling more dedicated fans who read the comics and go on the forums and such like Superman more,
but the fan's who are kind of just casual, watch the movies but don't read comics but are still big fans like Batman more, and that's most likely due to Christopher Nolan's take on the character.

Thats an interesting point to consider Sanchez.

I'd be hesitant to agree with that. Batman books sell a ton more than Superman, and Batman has no shortage of good comic stories, even just recently, with Scott Snyder. I say there's more of an even split amongst fans, but perhaps more fatigue with the dedicated fanbase in regards to Batman, given they consume it more than the casual fan, whereas there's a hunger for more Superman stuff.

As of 2015 I think it's quite difficult to say. However, I give the edge to Batman.

This is based on critical response and box office from the Dark Knight Trilogy and earlier films (both characters have at least one absolute stinker, Superman IV and Batman and Robin). I think more folks would go and see a Batman film than a Superman film.

I think that Batman has a slightly wider appeal, as despite the fact that he's a ninja/billiionaire/genius/detective/armourer/mechanic/scientist/master of disguise and a bunch of other stuff that would take about 50 lifetimes to master (and which makes him nearly as impossible as Superman), on some level we identify with his humanity, and on some level we believe we could all be batman.

Superman on the other hand, well we can aspire to his moral values but we can never fly - although we'd all love to.

Having said all that I really go back and forth. I identify strongly with Batman in many ways, but I love the noble spirit of Superman - that unlike any human, with the power to make the entire Earth kneel at his feet, instead he uses that power selflessly to help others.

And he's never said "I'm goddamn Superman !" I mean, Frank Miller come on. I loved your 80's Bat-stories, they're the best ever written but WTF happened to you ?

http://whatculture.com/comics/50-reasons-why-superman-is-the-greatest-superhero-ever.php

Anyway, I doubt there's much difference in their popularity really, but I still give the slight edge to Batman.

As for Spider man...... who's that ? Just kidding.

Just IMO of course.
Ehh, I say it's pretty unanimous, and easy to see Batman is more popular. Between the successful Nolan trilogy, the slew of animated films, Batman being DC's biggest comic seller month to month, successful Arkham game series, and the clear marketing focus in BvS. Their iconography is evenly matched, with Superman probably having the slight edge, but popularity wise, Batman trounces Superman.

On pure popularity, I don't there's any question it's Batman. Keep in mind that has nothing to do with who is the better character, who has better movies, who has more cultural impact, or anything like that. He's just more popular. In fact, I've opined on how Batman's rise and Superman's decline in popularity starting in the 90's represents the increasingly cynical public who find uncompromising morals passe or even unacceptable.

You would have thought snapping Zod's neck made Supes shed his altar boy image.

In fact, I've opined on how Batman's rise and Superman's decline in popularity starting in the 90's represents the increasingly cynical public who find uncompromising morals passe or even unacceptable.

I kinda believe the same thing, but I would date the origin back to the early 70's after Vietnam and Watergate happened. That's also when Batman started getting huge again with Denny O'Neil's run.

You would have thought snapping Zod's neck made Supes shed his altar boy image.

A lot of people think Superman is overpowered and boring. I don't think MOS did much to change that perception (though I'd be lying if I said I thought it didn't help at least a tiny bit).

I hate to say this, but if DC is serious about making Superman cool again, they need to take a good, hard look at the Captain America movies.

Superman is more iconic across the planet and even in the western world. He's the apex superhero; if a character has a brightly colored cape, 95% of the time they're invoking his mythology and look. And his symbol still something like the second most recognized global symbol after the cross.

Batman is more popular right now, but Superman beat him to every major media style and still taps into that powerful desire to be able to do almost anything. Batman had more successful stories and adaptations during my lifetime, but there's a reason why some older fans freak out at any impugning of classic Superman media. The Dark Knight is awesome, but the Big Blie Boy Scout is legendary.

I kinda believe the same thing, but I would date the origin back to the early 70's after Vietnam and Watergate happened. That's also when Batman started getting huge again with Denny O'Neil's run.

It's also when Steve EWnglehart started downgrading Superman in his JLA run. Vut it was Dark Knight Returns that made it big.

Hasn't Batman always been the mascot of DC? I mean DC stand for Detective Comics, of which Batman is the star.

No bias but I think it's obvious Batman is on the whole more popular with the masses than Superman. I think that's a key reason they put him in the current Superman sequel, along with his name in the movie title.

Batman is the most versatile hero in comics. For someone who isn't inclined to delve into a fantasy mythos, Batman is easy to understand. For a young kid just learning about comics or super heroes, Batman is one of the most accessible characters because there are no alien civilizations, uber-technical jargon, or mythological precepts to understand first. He's had comedic adaptations and very dark ones. Just about every segment of the population can relate to him on some level.

That was a well thought out answer. Im sure many feel your way, leaning towards Batman that is, because of the reasons you just stated. The new Dawn of Justice movie may have another factor towards either hero depending on who is victorious against the other in their fight.

Cheers, very kind of you to say. :up: I am anxiously awaiting D of J, with fingers firmly crossed.

Ehh, I say it's pretty unanimous, and easy to see Batman is more popular. Between the successful Nolan trilogy, the slew of animated films, Batman being DC's biggest comic seller month to month, successful Arkham game series, and the clear marketing focus in BvS. Their iconography is evenly matched, with Superman probably having the slight edge, but popularity wise, Batman trounces Superman.

Hmmmm... that's a big call.

Superman has also had a bunch of very good animated films, although Batman certainly is winning the video game contest.

I agree that Superman wins the iconography contest though.

I think that "trounces" would be too strong, given that Superman has
appeared continuously in the media since 1950 in one form or another
(tv or film). Not sure if more times than Batman, but I will check.

And also the world's most powerful man (for real) doesn't pose with Batman !

latest

That is an interesting viewpoint. I would probably include the Arkham games in there along with Nolan's movies. Maybe even the 90s animated series and movies (The Mask of Phantasm) too.

Hmmmm... that's a big call.

Superman has also had a bunch of very good animated films, although Batman certainly is winning the video game contest.

I agree that Superman wins the iconography contest though.

I think that "trounces" would be too strong, given that Superman has
appeared continuously in the media since 1950 in one form or another
(tv or film). Not sure if more times than Batman, but I will check.

And also the world's most powerful man (for real) doesn't pose with Batman !

latest

As I've said, they are quite close in terms of iconography, but when it comes to popularity, which is the market, in terms of merchandise, comics, and film, Batman is currently the more popular character. Yes, every person who can name Batman will no doubt know Superman, they are both ingrained in history, but if you were to ask them what movie you'd prefer to see or what toy would a kid want to have, they will likely say Batman.

As I've said, they are quite close in terms of iconography, but when it comes to popularity, which is the market, in terms of merchandise, comics, and film, Batman is currently the more popular character. Yes, every person who can name Batman will no doubt know Superman, they are both ingrained in history, but if you were to ask them what movie you'd prefer to see or what toy would a kid want to have, they will likely say Batman.

It's telling that in the YouTube showdown series they did before releasing Injustice: Gods Among Us, Batman beat Superman. In other words, even though everyone knows that in a straight fight, Superman could defeat Batman with a sneeze, Batman STILL won. Because he's Batman.

Batman is more popular right now (and has been so since 1989) but superman was far more popular than the bat for the 5 decades that preceded burton's movie.

On pure popularity, I don't there's any question it's Batman. Keep in mind that has nothing to do with who is the better character, who has better movies, who has more cultural impact, or anything like that. He's just more popular. In fact, I've opined on how Batman's rise and Superman's decline in popularity STARTING in the 90's represents the increasingly cynical public who find uncompromising morals passe or even unacceptable.

Can't agree with a single thing you just said, Batman's popularity had everything to do with how well he's been handled across all forms of meadia (the dark knight trilogy, BTAS and the Arkham games) while apart from STAS, superman has had MOS, SR and Superman 64 to his name.

It's telling that in the YouTube showdown series they did before releasing Injustice: Gods Among Us, Batman beat Superman. In other words, even though everyone knows that in a straight fight, Superman could defeat Batman with a sneeze, Batman STILL WON. Because he's Batman.

It's even more telling that superman trounced batman and spiderman in the yahoo front page poll held in 2013 with a tallied votes of over 130 thousand.

Link
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/12/2...er-man-and-batman-in-greatest-superhero-poll/

Look guys I do believe that Batman is more popular than superman right now but that'll change sooner or later and when one considers that a crappy film like SR does more worldwide than BB or superman earth one novels are on the NY times best seller lists or that Superman doomsday is still the highest selling of all the DTV I think some of you are getting carried away with batman's superiority over superman.

Look guys I do believe that Batman is more popular than superman right now but that'll change sooner or later and when one considers that a crappy film like SR does more worldwide than BB or superman earth one novels are on the NY times best seller lists or that Superman doomsday is still the highest selling of all the DTV I think some of you are getting carried away with batman's superiority over superman.

No one said "superiority." In fact, I think everyone has caveated it's not about superiority. You're taking this too personally.

That said, you make some compelling points here.

No one said "superiority." In fact, I think everyone has caveated it's not about superiority. You're taking this too personally.

No dude I'm not taking anything personally here, this is all just supposed to be fun discussion.

That said, you make some compelling points here.

Thanks alot, like I said batman is understandably more popular but if marvel has shown us anything is that even a supposedly one dimensional, boyscout captain america can be shown in great light when handled with care and so an icon like superman can hit the popularity heights of the decades past if handled correctly.

Thanks alot, like I said batman is understandably more popular but if marvel has shown us anything is that even a supposedly one dimensional, boyscout captain america can be shown in great light when handled with care and so an icon like superman can hit the popularity heights of the decades past if handled correctly.

Dude you are so right, it amazes me that Cap can be so popular when he is probably Marvel's most boring character - sure Superman is highly scrupulous (although I would argue that Batman is actually more morally inflexible ) but there's a lot too him, whereas Cap doesn't have much personality other than the incessant need to do what he perceives as the right thing in every situation.

One aspect of Superman's character (and this isn't often developed) is what he could do, and why he doesn't. Cap is tough and can take on a small army of thugs, but Superman could roll back all the armies of the world by himself - I maintain that the times Batman has beaten him, it was because in part Superman wasn't trying his utmost to win.

Superman has the constant temptation to use his power to find quick and simple solutions (which is what the Injustice comic was about at the start, back when it was good, it's garbage now), and the flip side of that is that governments and groups with vested interests fear and distrust him, for fear he will one day decide that it's his turn to run things.

Still, Marvel's done a great job with Cap. I hate the character, but enjoyed TWS because it was so well directed. Evans does his best with Cap, and while he's still the most boring character in his films, is at least watchable -which is saying a lot for me.

So I too think that Superman could be a fantastic character, if he's done right - he certainly has been, say what you like about the first four Superman films, but the characterization of Superman was great in all of them (even in III and IV, which otherwise are unwatchable **** ), yes part of that was the performance of Reeve, but also that the directors at least understood what Superman is all about (even if they didn't understand how to create a story around him). IMO this is also where Superman Returns utterly fails, because Superman is a boring character - in Superman TM through to IV, there's no question that Superman is the most interesting and engaging character in the film.

Personally, I loved MOS, but I still think there's room for improvement.

Sorry, that was big ramble. My point was, very much agree .

Well I will say, I like what they are doing with Superman now. The angle of him being an outsider, really emphasizing he is an alien & we should be afraid of him.

Facebook likes on their official pages:

Batman: 12,912,790
Superman: 7,271,329

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back