BvS Batman or Superman: Which do you prefer?

The Batman

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Seeing as how their faceoff is going to be a big part of the movie...which character do you prefer and why?

Try not to be obnoxious about who you prefer, either. I think a good discussion could come from this.

Edit: There is no "Both" option, or any other kind of option beyond the two in the poll.

Last edited:
It would be nice if we could have a poll along the discussion.

Really??? do we need smth like this to divide more fans?

This is just asking for trouble. :oldrazz: Where are the "both" and "neither" options?

Superman. I grew up with both, but I watched more Superman-related media than Batman-related. He is and always be my favorite. Batman's my number two.

brace-yourself.jpeg

Really??? do we need smth like this to divide more fans?

I mean...you have the option of not participating in the thread.

People are going to feel how they feel regardless. And when you name your movie "Batman v Superman", well....

As long as people can express their views respectfully, there dosen't need to be a problem.

This ain't going to end well. This will end in a landslide for Batman.

But I say lets have some balls and not add BOTH and neither as options.

Lets face the reality of the popularity of both the characters.

Screw both Batman and Superman. I like 'V' the most. :oldrazz:

But no, Batman. I've just always leaned that way. I had plenty of exposure to both characters from a young age, and I've just always been more attracted to the darker and scarier quality to Batman's world. There's a danger to Gotham and it's a character in the mythos in and of itself. So it's more than just the character of Batman, it's the rogues gallery, the allies, the overall lore attached to his character that I find endlessly fun and fascinating. I also think there's something appealing in a very primal about the guy with the coolest gadgets who drives coolest car in the world. Also doesn't hurt that black never goes out of style.

Note, none of this is meant to disrespect Superman. I respect his place in pop culture and his status as the template for all comic book superheroes. I'm just saying what I love about Batman and why that character has resonated with me more over the years.

This ain't going to end well. This will end in a landslide for Batman.

But I say lets have some balls and not add BOTH and neither as options.

Lets face the reality of the popularity of both the characters.

I agree. "Both" and "Neither" are usually cop out options. If people don't like the idea of the thread, they don't have to participate.

Are we talking in general? Because I'm more of a fan of the movies than the comics.

If it were, say, Christopher Reeve versus Christian Bale than I would vote Superman.

However, if it were Michael Keaton versus Brandon Routh... BAtman, obviously.

I agree. "Both" and "Neither" are usually cop out options. If people don't like the idea of the thread, they don't have to participate.
I think your thread might get dumbed down when a couple of people inevitably start asking "Why isn't both an option" or "I like both there is no option for me."

I had made a thread for the B v S suits only pitting the Superman and Batman suit but the mods added the risibly vanilla BOTH option to the pole completely diluting it.

Yeah, I was hoping that wouldn't happen, but I realize that it probably will. :csad:

Its not as if preferring one means you don't like the other, though.

Batman

The best live action superhero movie, best animated superhero movie, best video game based on a superhero, best animated series based on a superhero

Batman is the greatest superhero

Superman, I preferred Batman for a few years, but Superman is who I currently prefer
Are we talking in general? Because I'm more of a fan of the movies than the comics.
The Batman did not say any specific version of each, state your thoughts of them in general

where's the Wonder Woman option?? :o

Never understood the popularity of Superman. I feel like he's so irrelevant and obsolete, I don't know... Batman is such an ultimate formula. Nothing can beat it.

I prefer Batman. There are many reasons for that, but they all boil down to the following main points.

1) Batman stories often put a much larger emphasis on the Batman's intelligence than Superman stories do on Superman's.

With Batman, his greatest strength after his indomitable will is his mind. More specifically his detective/tactical skills and clever ways through which he gets out of situations, both in Gotham and in JL adventures. It's not that Superman is an idiot, but a lot of writers seem to put more emphasis on his brawn than brains even when the brains are there. Heck, a huge theme in the Superman/Lex dynamic is the human mind being capable of keeping up with the physical powers of a god. The intelligence aspect in Batman is far better represented and emphasized IMO, and that's why I lean towards Batman more. Honestly, I think that's the #1 reason DC has such a hard time compared to Marvel. For every physically overpowered character, Marvel has like 2 or 3 mentally overpowered characters. We live in a society where a person's mind is considered first-and-foremost as their greatest strength. Being a great detective or great scientist is the new "he's faster than a speeding bullet".

2) Batman is an extraordinary character in a ordinary world; Superman is an extraordinary character in an extraordinary world.

People often say they like Batman because he's realistic. I don't think he is, but I do think he fights the most realistic causes out of all the heroes, and it's all due to Gotham City. I always said that Gotham has become the world, or at least the way we see the world. If you think about it, all the issues we hear people complain about on a daily basis - crime, police brutality, corruption within the justice system, corruptions within corporations and the upper class, urban decay, environmental issues, terrorism - ALL of those problem exist in Gotham. Even in the case of a less realistic and more stylized portrayal of the city, those fundamental issues are still there. It's arguably the best location in all of comics for social commentary, and why Batman lends himself to social commentary so much. Whereas Superman's world (mainly presented through Metropolis) is almost-by-nature less realistic. There's still a lot of social commentary there (i.e. Luthor), but things like alien invasions aren't as fascinating to me in comparison.

3) Of all the superheroes, I think Batman is the most balanced one. He has found the perfect balance between lightness and darkness.

People often say the opposite of Superman is Batman. I don't agree with that. The polar opposite would be the Punisher IMO, whereas Batman is right in between. Batman is the hero who learned to strike fear and terror in the hearts of criminals the same way Punisher does while still keeping the compassion and heart of Superman intact. That's the thing I think a lot of people overlook regarding Batman - including writers - is that despite all that darkness on the exterior, he really has a heart. To quote Amanda Waller, "there is no one who cares as much for his fellow man as Bruce Wayne". When Superman makes his speeches to the superhero community over the importance of not taking a life, I always feel Batman is the one who understands what he means the most. That's why they're such good friends (yes, they're friends, despite what the e-wars would have you believe). They have different methods, but share the exact same morals and values. Superman also has that heart and compassion there, but he doesn't strike fear in people the same way Batman does (and I don't expect him to since he shouldn't be dark; don't jump at me Superman fans).

I would say Wonder Woman is the perfect balance. Superman is light, Batman is dark, Wonder Woman is the balance.

Superman. I grew up with both, but I watched more Superman-related media than Batman-related. He is and always be my favorite. Batman's my number two.

Pretty much how my childhood was like too. I like both characters, but Superman stands out more to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"