Batman & Robin vs Superman IV

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
The Ultimate battle no one brings up, the battle of the fourth movie that killed the DC comics film franchise.

Which one is the lesser of two evils/more entertaining?

Which one is worse?

Guilty pleasure?

Begin the fun.

Batman and Robin is probably a worse film, but it has entertainment value because it's so ridiculous. So bad it's almost good, because you have fun laughing at how bad it is.

Superman IV was just boring and stupid.

Batman and Robin is so entertaining and visually appealing, Superman IV has nothing going for it except for Reeve. Superman III is way better than IV

My choice is easily Batman and Robin

I can see a kid (closer to toddler than teenager) enjoying Batman & Robin. Superman IV is a godawful snoozefest that's beyond enjoyment for all ages.

Batman and Robin. That has some entertainment value at least. Plus better production values.

I can see a kid (closer to toddler than teenager) enjoying Batman & Robin. Superman IV is a godawful snoozefest that's beyond enjoyment for all ages.

Yeah, I remember enjoying it at that age (I was eight, nine years old), but now it's ridiculous. I mean...nipple suits.

I've never seen Superman IV, though, so I'm not sure how it compares.

I can't bring myself to actually vote on the pole, but SIV was my first live-action Superman movie (having been introduced to him by the always amazing Fleischer 'toons). The I saw the others and L&C. SIV was - wait for it - my favourite for a time! (I was like four years old) I think because it had two dudes wearing capes fighting each other, where as Zod and co. didn't. :p It's absolute trash, yes. But I still find some nostalgic guilty pleasure from it when I catch bits on TV.

Conversely, B&R was the fourth Batman movie I'd watch, after B89/BR/BF. And I was hyped for it (I was like eight years old) But after, it was - even as a little tike - clearly the worst one. And my hate for it grew ever since. I've seen it many times since then of course, but a year or two ago I put it in thinking "You know, so much time has passed, I'm sure it's going to be hilarious to watch, in a good way". And it is... right up until Robin gets frozen then thawed. After that, I can't watch anymore. It's not "so bad it's good". It's just bad.

So SIV for me. Somehow.

First, this is a great question, and plumbs some of the very worst that DC has to offer ! Of course the worst DC film ever is a title that's contested by Green Lantern, Catwoman and Jonah Hex, but these two are serious contenders.

Hmmm.... I think that Superman IV was a fantastic premise, but executed incredibly poorly. The one saving grace of the film is Christopher Reeve, who is still charming and likeable as Superman, while surrounded by total **** - I mean, even Gene Hackman is pretty awful in that film. The special effects look like a couple of film students put them together.

Batman and Robin.........well I'm trying to think of any redeeming features, but it's pretty awful. Clooney is the most lacklustre Batman ever (he makes Adam West look pretty formidable) and the supporting cast are resoundingly dull (except maybe Alfred) and working with a pathetic attempt at a story.

Add to that Schumacher's cartoony visuals, and Schwarzenegger's terrible puns.

To be honest I struggle to decide which is worse. Neither of them is a guilty pleasure, really more of a nightmare that I try hard to forget.

I suppose if someone strapped me to a chair and made me watch one, I would find Batman and Robin slightly less painful (but not by much). I remember watching it in the cinema, and waiting for it to get good.....and it never did . :(

Even though Batman and Robin was bad with the nipple suits. It still had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dr.Freeze which wasn't too bad. Superman IV's Nuclear man was just a horrible actor.

Batman_%26_Robin_-_Poster.png

It's so bad that it's funny and entertaining. To just laugh at how ridiculous it is. A fun movie to watch with friends, maybe have a drinking game going during it too.

The Ultimate battle no one brings up, the battle of the fourth movie that killed the DC comics film franchise.

Which one is the lesser of two evils/more entertaining?

Which one is worse?

Guilty pleasure?

Begin the fun.

You had to ask.

Batman and Robin, for reasons already mentioned.

I don't think Green Lantern belongs in this company. Or if it does it would be the least worst film.

But that still leaves out movies like Supergirl and Steel.

Oh man ! I had forgotten about Steel, the horror. Supergirl...well that's probably on the same level as Superman IV, maybe slightly higher, but not much. Only the cuteness of Helen is the one redeeming feature of the film - and her flight special effects were pretty good.

It's amazing how they get these amazing actors (Gene Hackman, Peter O'Toole and Faye Dunaway ) to appear in these terrible films.

Sure Green lantern has reasonable special effects, but the main character is highly unlikeable and the main villain is a big fart cloud. Mark Strong as Sinestro was the only good thing about it.

Maybe Green lantern goes alongside these others just for being such a monumental let-down. I still say it's a pretty crap film - much like Batman and Robin I kept waiting for it to get good......and it didn't. :(

I think the fact that I never watch Batman & Robin says it all as far as whether or not it's a guilty pleasure for me. I can at least enjoy Superman IV for Reeve's performance and the only thing about the special effects that ever really bothered me was that cardboard cutout-looking frontal shot of Superman and Nuclear Man flying. Not all the effects are as bad as that.

I would take Freeze and Ivy any day over Nuclear Man and greatest comedy criminal mastermind of all time Hackman Luther.

So with voting, are you choosing the worst - or the better - of two stinky options? :word:

So with voting, are you choosing the worst - or the better - of two stinky options? :word:
You choose the one stinking less.
But still, you pick something smelly. :p

I don't think B&R is really that bad, and it's fun. Superman IV is hilariously bad.

This guy alone was 1000x worse than anything in B&R.
lee-nuclear-press-on-nails.jpg

*edit
I meant to vote B&R on the poll.
ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"