Batman Triumphant vs. Superman Lives

Ultron-5

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ah yes, a battle between two films that were supposed to come out in the late 90's, but nobody liked Batman & Robin. Both films were cancelled because of the financial failure that is Joel Shumacher's Batman & Robin. If only one of these were made, which one would you have prefered to see on the big screen?
batman-triumphant.jpg

trailer-for-proposed-superman-lives-documentary-confirms-your-worst-fears-about-hollywood.jpeg

I'd have taken Tim Burton's Batman 3 over any of the Schumacher films (including Triumphant).

Superman Lives I'd have been curious to see, but Burton and Superman just never seemed like a good fit to me.

Agreed, a third Burton Batman film with Keaton over either of these, but given the direct choice, Superman Lives over another crapfest of Schumacher's Batman films anyday.

Burton and Superman is a terrible match, but out of curiosity, I'd have loved to see what came of it.

And Batman Triumphant..... it could have been as good as the first two Burton films, or as terrible as the Schumacher films. I guess we'll never know.

Superman Lives. It sounds like it would have been terrible, but it has Nick Cage as Superman so it'd be enjoyably so.

Although I have read the scripts for Superman Lives (which were not good) and the fact Nicolas Cage as Superman scares the bejesus out of me I gotta go with Supefman Lives for the mere fact it would have been interesting as hell.

Another Batman in the Burton-Schumacher universe holds no interest for me, no matter what Schumacher was promising.

Superman Lives.

The old Batman franchise was toxic to me.

Superman Lives.

The fact that there wasnt a single Superman film in the 90's...is a travesty.

Superman Lives.

The fact that there wasnt a single Superman film in the 90's...is a travesty.

I know right? not even something at least inspired by Superman: TAS to throw fans at that time a bone.

I vote for SL myself. I know more about it to be curious enough to see what was going to happen. It would've certainly at least had been interesting that's for sure.

Schumacher lost any goodwill he had with me when it comes to Batman with Batman & Robin. If there was to be a new Batman movie in that continuity I would've preferred a new writer and director and not Goldsman and Schumacher trying to "redeem" themselves.

Superman lives. As everyone else said, it would have been downright interesting.

I know right? not even something at least inspired by Superman: TAS to throw fans at that time a bone.

IMO, the franchise as a whole lost momentum by not putting out a new film. Even when B & R stunk out the joint, we didnt go a decade without a new Batfilm.

Schumacher lost any goodwill he had with me when it comes to Batman with Batman & Robin. If there was to be a new Batman movie in that continuity I would've preferred a new writer and director and not Goldsman and Schumacher trying to "redeem" themselves.

Yup. Had the old series continued, I would've liked to see a new team make a Batman film inspired by the 70s era of Batcomics.

IMO, the franchise as a whole lost momentum by not putting out a new film. Even when B & R stunk out the joint, we didnt go a decade without a new Batfilm.

Yep I think it really hurt the relevance of the Superman brand on a larger scale quite a bit.

It wouldn't have just exposed the character and his universe to a wider audience. It also would've helped the slumping sales of his comic books at the time too without having to rely on stuff like "Death of Clark Kent" or Electric Blue Superman (which for the record I did enjoy but then again I am a lifelong Superman fan).

An entire generation missed out on Supes and it really hindered the perception the general public had of him. To this day the character is still trying to awkwardly regain his footing and momentum in the greater pop culture landscape as one of if not the top tier superhero(es).

This is why I laugh when people go "bla bla bla DC should not be wasting time putting their heroes on TV just stick to making movies if they want to use them in multimedia". IMO DC needs to use their IPs in as many forms of mass media as they can especially with Marvel lapping them right now in terms of pop culture relevance. I mean look at what Burton's movie and it's Batmania did to Batman. It made him the quintessential DC hero for over 25 years now.

You really think if The Flash and Arrow didn't have prominent shows on prime time television right now they would've even been considered to be Batman's partners in crime in the upcoming Batman Unlimited DVD's? I think not.

The more media DC could use their IP's in to introduce them to the non-comic book reading audience (Ie: video games, movies, TV shows etc.) the healthier it is for DC overall and the greater the chances are for those of us who are more hardcore fans to get to see potential Metal Men or Legion of Superheroes multimedia properties. Instead of just Batman, Batman and Batman all the time.

^ I agree with all of that. WB/DC have finally started making up for lost time, but I think they could push it even further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"