Batman v. Superman: Which Abandoned Movie Are You Glad Wasn't Made?

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
When it comes to franchise reboots, Batman and Superman have seen more false starts than probably any other comic book character. While some abandoned attempts at rebooting the character made it all the way to film (Superman Returns) before WB decided not to continue, most of them never actually made it to the filming stage.

Which ones are you happy were never made? Which ones would you like to have seen (even if it's only out of morbid curiosity)? These are the ones I know of, though there may be even more.

Superman Lives - I still have yet to see the documentary on this film, but I think we all know that Tim Burton was to direct this film and it would have featured Nicolas Cage as Superman. Villains included Lex and Brainiac and it would have involved Superman dying and coming back to life. Oh, and polar bears and a giant spider.

Batman vs. Superman (2004) - Wolfgang Peterson was to direct this film (he ended up leaving to do Troy instead) and at least one report had Jude Law and Colin Farrell suiting up as the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight. After watching Mr Sunday Movies' AWESOME video summarizing the plot, I can say with absolute certainty that I'm glad this movie never saw the light of day. If that script had gone into production, it probably would have killed superhero movies forever.

Batman: Year One - For a long time (or at least until I saw Noah) I though Darren Aronofsky would have been a great choice to make a Batman movie. However, the storyline for this film supposedly differed greatly from Frank Miller's classic comic, and included Batman growing up in a garage with a mechanic named Al (this film's version of Alfred), at one point becoming a criminal and then fighting crime initially with a hockey mask and a cape. Still, it might have worked. I don't know.

Superman: Flyby - JJ Abrams' horrific Superman script that apparently got the character of Supes right and everything else wrong. To sum up, basically Krypton never blows up, Supes is "the Chosen One" destined to save Krypton (I guess JJ was watching Kung Pow when he wrote this), he's relentless pursued by Zod's inbred cousin Ty-Zor, he dies and comes back to life after Jor-El commits Seppuku, and then Lex Luthor turns out to be a f***ing alien.

Brett Ratner's Superman - I believe this was actually going to be based on the Flyby script, but Ratner said in an interview at the time that it had none of the stuff that was in that version. So maybe there was another script floating around? Matt Bomer would have likely played Supes had this film been made.

McG's Superman - Again, I think this was based on Flyby, though I'm not sure. Henry Cavill would have played Superman.

Batman 5 - Supposedly Joel Schumacher wanted to do third (fifth in the original series) film that would have featured a young Batman. I've heard it would have featured the Scarecrow (to be played by Nic Cage) and Keanu Reeves may have been in the running for Batman.

Superman Returns Again - Not sure what an SR sequel would have been titled, but Bryan Singer planned one out. It would have supposedly featured Brainiac as the villain and would have ended with Superman killing his own son. Truth, justice and DIE YOU LITTLE F***ING BRAT!!!!

Last edited:
I voted for the '04 Batman vs. Superman... But really I'd have loved to see how bad some of these movies would have been. Some of them would have been entertaining at least, I'm sure, and really bad movies can be good fun to watch (or at least amusing).

Superman Lives-&÷£!&#×* Nicholas Cage as Superman, in what universe? If that had happened I think it would have killed Superman for all times
Superman Returns 2- Superman killing his own son....enough said.

I voted none of them. I haven't seen any of the Sharknado movies until a week ago and I realized that the point of bad movies is to riff the hell out of them with a couple of friends.

Holy **** ! I can't believe that any of those projects got any kind of serious consideration. I guess some of our faith can be restored that WB isn't actually being run by strategically shaved chimpanzees, because
none of them ever got made.

All of those sound awful ! They make Richard Donner and Christopher Nolan look a like gods.

Ugh ! Yes, I can appreciate the fun in bad movies - I've seen Sharktopus ! But I feel like Batman and Superman deserve a bit better.
Just IMO of course.

Superman Lives - I still have yet to see the documentary on this film, but I think we all know that Tim Burton was to direct this film and it would have featured Nicolas Cage as Superman. Villains included Lex and Brainiac and it would have involved Superman dying and coming back to life. Oh, and polar bears and a giant spider.

So many people are repulsed by Snyder's take on Superman (which I like). Imagine if Tim Burton had actually made this movie? Still, more interesting than some of these abominations:

Batman vs. Superman (2004) - Wolfgang Peterson was to direct this film (he ended up leaving to do Troy instead) and at least one report had Jude Law and Colin Farrell suiting up as the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight. After watching Mr Sunday Movies' AWESOME video summarizing the plot, I can say with absolute certainty that I'm glad this movie never saw the light of day. If that script had gone into production, it probably would have killed superhero movies forever.

That sounds like a "what if" bad joke that involved papers signed and hands shaken over many rounds of brew in a smoke-filled lounge. Neither actor's suited for whichever role. This movie would undoubtedly be lambasted and lampooned to this day.

Batman: Year One - For a long time (or at least until I saw Noah) I though Darren Aronofsky would have been a great choice to make a Batman movie. However, the storyline for this film supposedly differed greatly from Frank Miller's classic comic, and included Batman growing up in a garage with a mechanic named Al (this film's version of Alfred), at one point becoming a criminal and then fighting crime initially with a hockey mask and a cape. Still, it might have worked. I don't know.

And then along comes this. I'd heard of this before, and while Aronofsky's early movies exemplify a man unafraid to tackle provocative subjects, this sounds like Batman In Name Only. A garage. A hockey mask. A cape. A Lincoln Continental (or whatever "Bat-Man" was supposed to be driving). Things like this, you do with characters like Kick-Ass. Not Batman.

Superman: Flyby - JJ Abrams' horrific Superman script that apparently got the character of Supes right and everything else wrong. To sum up, basically Krypton never blows up, Supes is "the Chosen One" destined to save Krypton (I guess JJ was watching Kung Pow when he wrote this), he's relentless pursued by Zod's inbred cousin Ty-Zor, he dies and comes back to life after Jor-El commits Seppuku, and then Lex Luthor turns out to be a f***ing alien.

Cloverfield is a fun movie (I'm a kaiju fan). Star Trek (2009) is a very good if decidedly non-Trek-y creation. Beyond that, I'm beginning to be convinced JJ's only ever wanted to jump on the Star Wars train, and everything he's done has been little more than a stepping stone.

One must wonder what JJ put in his pipe when he wrote that script.

Brett Ratner's Superman - I believe this was actually going to be based on the Flyby script, but Ratner said in an interview at the time that it had none of the stuff that was in that version. So maybe there was another script floating around? Matt Bomer would have likely played Supes had this film been made.

No comment. Not enough data to cultivate a true opinion.

McG's Superman - Again, I think this was based on Flyby, though I'm not sure. Henry Cavill would have played Superman.

I see "McG" and I say: Next!

Batman 5 - Supposedly Joel Schumacher wanted to do third (fifth in the original series) film that would have featured a young Batman. I've heard it would have featured the Scarecrow (to be played by Nic Cage) and Keanu Reeves may have been in the running for Batman.

Schumacher did enough damage. The suits in B&R are abominations. That is all.

Superman Returns Again - Not sure what an SR sequel would have been titled, but Bryan Singer planned one out. It would have supposedly featured Brainiac as the villain and would have ended with Superman killing his own son. Truth, justice and DIE YOU LITTLE F***ING BRAT!!!!

Franchise-killer, right there. DCCU killer, to boot. They would have just rebooted Batman two years after Rises.

What is Batman Unchained? Haven't heard of that one.

Also, forgot that they were considering a Batman Beyond movie. The concept art for that is online and it is really cool. I was never a Beyond fan myself though so I'm glad they went with Nolan's reboot.

Also, regarding the thing about JJ Abrams using things as a stepping stone for Star Wars... There may be some truth to that. I remember reading a review of his Superman script and Krypton was apparently EXACTLY like Naboo.

Probably McG's version of FlyBy. Honestly the Burton/Cage Superman is one I wish to this day we still got.

would have ended with Superman killing his own son.

200.gif

Schumacher did enough damage. The suits in B&R are abominations. That is all.
By damage I think you mean fun. I can only imagine the amount of fun this could have gotten.
Franchise-killer, right there. DCCU killer, to boot. They would have just rebooted Batman two years after Rises.
Well, it's what happens when a director listens to fans who hate a kid for some reason.

Last edited:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-movie-series-list-unmade-802032

Little long, but some pretty in-depth detail on Unchained. Had some cool concepts that I would have loved to have seen played out on screen.

Oh okay. All I had heard about the film before was that Cage was considered for Scarecrow and that it would have been darker than the previous films. Though I thought the film was going to be prequel with a younger Batman.

The idea of Harley as the Joker's daughter is weird... I suppose it could have worked but given that they're typically romantically involved (or at least there's some sort of psychotic sexual attraction between the two of them) making Harley his kid just feels off.

This is why I'm glad that movie studios are taking fewer liberties with CBMs these days. I mean, making a character older or younger is one thing, but completely rewriting a characters origin's and changing things that are core to their personality is something I'd prefer to avoid. I mean, the Schumacher films also changed Barbara Gordon to Barbara Pennyworth. (On the other hand, Nolan's Batman films changed Dick Grayson/Robin to a cop named Robin John Blake so... I guess you can't win 'em all).

I want to see all of them and then decide which one that should cease to exist.
I think all of them could be entertaining.

However, Batman vs Superman got me most excited. I still remember the talks.

Batman vs. Superman (I think) was what made me originally join these boards (That-Guy, back then). I was so hyped for that movie. But now knowing the plot details, I'm so glad it didn't happen. If it had, we never would have gotten Nolan's Batman films, Man of Steel, the new BvS, Justice League, etc. I seriously think it would have killed two franchises in one fell swoop and might have killed the DC movie universe for good.

Yeah...I'll admit, I'd see Burton's Supercage fighting Jon Peters' giant spider. Certainly not because I'd think the movie would be any good (at least based on everything we've heard since the movie stalled) but it's so zany and stupid, I'd just have to see it.

The revised version of the Flyby script (which did away with the alien Lex twist, kung-fu Kryptonians, etc) was actually pretty good, imo. In the hands of a good director, I would have liked that film more than MoS, probably (and I did like MoS).

Last edited:
What were the details of that script, specifically?

Most of them are bad, I was interested in sequel to SR, I'm sure WB would have asked Singer to change the part where Supes would have to kill his son.

But, I'm happy they decided to reboot instead.

If that movie had been made, I would have WANTED Superman to kill his son and laugh his ass off as he did it.

(just kidding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"