Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament(2020 Edition)

Infinity War. Dark allegorical sci-fi is, bluntly, a dime a dozen. Decade-in-the-making climaxes in a new form of moviemaking are much rarer, especially ones that successfully sell the audience on the horror and tragedy of characters dying who they *know won't stay dead, intellectually*.

I feel this is another ludicrous comparison:

Infinity War is a good old popcorn flick which does justice to the big comic cross over events of the 80s.

Snowpiercer is a multilayered and brutal critique of human society.

Kind of like the Godfather vs Toy Story.

I abstain on those grounds.

Well, I disagree tbh. All films are subjective and can be put aganist, it's just a matter to find fair and balanced comparisons.

Fight Club vs Inception

The Godfather vs Apocalypse Now

The Dark Knight vs Django Unchained

All of these films are very different but I can totally see a comparison or somebody picking one or another. And both of these are extremely different CBMs sure, but at the end of the day it's the same genre and slightly different quality-wise.

Well, I disagree tbh. All films are subjective and can be put aganist, it's just a matter to find fair and balanced comparisons.

Fight Club vs Inception

The Godfather vs Apocalypse Now

The Dark Knight vs Django Unchained

All of these films are very different but I can totally see a comparison or somebody picking one or another. And both of these are extremely different CBMs sure, but at the end of the day it's the same genre and slightly different quality-wise.

Fight Club vs Inception kind of makes sense, although they are thematically completely different.

Dark Knight and Django are very different genres, not sure you could compare them.

Fight Club vs Inception kind of makes sense, although they are thematically completely different.

Dark Knight and Django are very different genres, not sure you could compare them.

Fair enough but i have seen these kind of compairsons...

Also the Toy Story movies can be better than a Godfather movie (only talking to Part III)

Avengers: Infinity War advances.

Battle of The Rated R Films

A History of Violence
41pNc00jTRL._AC_.jpg

VS

Logan

logan_poster_by_jonesyd1129_db32ka6-fullview.jpg

History Of Violence, no contest.

Logan is massively overrated and one-note film with zero depth, development or good villains. It's only remembered to having a good Jackman performance and his ending (which isn't even good from a narrative viewpoint)

I think both films are great, but AHOV is way more re-watchable IMO. I'm voting for it even though I know its very likely not going to win this round.

I could, kind of sort of, if I squint, see a comparison between Batman Begins and Django. Both involve a character subject to some kind of injustice by a corrupt society training themselves up to avenge that injustice. Its a *really* loose comparison, though, and I can't really think of one within the superhero movie set that works much better.

When it comes to ranking, I don't try to compare aspects of the movies at all. I compare how I feel about them. Groundhog Day and Schindler's List are both great movies while being very different, but I love Groundhog Day more.

This is literally impossible to call. Both are amazing films. I might lean History of Violence but admittedly I could go the other way if I thought about it a little. Really, both are amazing.

I’ll go AHoV just because of Viggo.

Avengers: Infinity War advances.

Battle of The Rated R Films

A History of Violence
41pNc00jTRL._AC_.jpg

VS

Logan

logan_poster_by_jonesyd1129_db32ka6-fullview.jpg

As great as HOV is, Logan is a contender for best ever cbm - it's probably the best performance in a cbm in the 2010s backed up by brutal action and an unflinchingly bleak view of superhero life in it's twilight years.

I remember not being able to bring myself to watch it for at least a year after my first viewing. I think if the ending was just a little more uplifting and Logan's turnaround came a little sooner it could have knocked over TDK - at least in my view.

I still can't believe the Winter Soldier is out.....ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"