Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice returns!

I don't think it'll be joining the billion dollar club or anything but I do believe it'll easily be Burton's biggest hit since Alice in Wonderland. Beetlejuice is recognizable and fairly well-known but as far as '80s movies go it's not on the same level of popularity as Indiana Jones, Back to the Future or Ghostbusters. If it's actually good and audiences love it then it'll help it all the more because they can only get so far banking on nostalgia and Jenna Ortega's popularity.

I don't think it'll be joining the billion dollar club or anything but I do believe it'll easily be Burton's biggest hit since Alice in Wonderland. Beetlejuice is recognizable and fairly well-known but as far as '80s movies go it's not on the same level of popularity as Indiana Jones, Back to the Future or Ghostbusters. If it's actually good and audiences love it then it'll help it all the more because they can only get so far banking on nostalgia and Jenna Ortega's popularity.
Really surprised a spiritual sequel or remake hasn't happened yet.

I feel like that can’t possibly be true. Even if you are trying to go more practical there’s no way it’s zero.

I think it really depends. If we're counting compositing as CGI, then obviously it's not gonna be "zero". But I think it could be possible that every sight gag in the film is practical vs. something 3D animated. Maybe a few little enhancements of the practical effects. My feeling is if they did it in 1988, why not now? If the mission of the film was to stay practical, they have the resources and it's not something on the scale of like a Marvel or Star Wars movie. I'm hoping that the final product will feel like it was 100% practical whether or not that's literally the case.

But I don't know if that quote is accurate, it was just something I saw someone report on Twitter.

Burton possibly dropping his best (not hard considering) film since Big Fish.

Older fans will be curious, but I bet it also hits with the teen demo as well. I think the one-two punch of Beetlejuice nostalgia and the phenomenon of Wednesday are really going to get this higher than expected.

Over Robert Zemeckis’s dead body. Literally.

Hopefully not. There’s something kind of pure that Back to the Future and maybe E.T. are the only popular blockbuster IP untouched in the modern era.

I think Beetlejuice will have legs throughout the Halloween season too. Is it gonna hit a billion? Maybe not, but the first film is a beloved classic and I think it's gonna be big.

I know it's anecdotal, and some parents are more protective than others about what their kids watch, but I know of at least two of my friends' kids that know and love Beetlejuice and are excited for this movie. Ages 8 and 12 respectively, for whatever it's worth.

Burton possibly dropping his best (not hard considering) film since Sweeney Todd.
Fixed. If for no other reason than giving us a singing Alan Rickman.

Over Robert Zemeckis’s dead body. Literally.
Part of me wonders if there's a loophole that they can make a movie version of the Broadway show to get around this.
I feel like a film version of the musical could happen. Audiences and fans are generally more forgiving with those but it's still a mixed bag. The Color Purple seemed to go over better than Mean Girls.

On topic. I could see Beetlejuice getting that same treatment eventually because the musical was/is popular.

Fixed. If for no other reason than giving us a singing Alan Rickman.

I feel like a film version of the musical could happen. Audiences and fans are generally more forgiving with those but it's still a mixed bag. The Color Purple seemed to go over better than Mean Girls.

On topic. I could see Beetlejuice getting that same treatment eventually because the musical was/is popular.
Even though I've come more around to musicals... well at least other Garland joints beyond Oz. Hoping to do some Fosse soon, listen to the Blank Checks eps.

Still can't bother rewatching Sweeney. Between the Depp of it all and the overall look of the film.

New Wonka was fine. La La Land is decent... just feel like there was more juice concerning musicals pre-1980's and nothing really stands out post-2000's.

Even though I've come more around to musicals... well at least other Garland joints beyond Oz. Hoping to do some Fosse soon, listen to the Blank Checks eps.

Still can't bother rewatching Sweeney. Between the Depp of it all and the overall look of the film.

New Wonka was fine. La La Land is decent... just feel like there was more juice concerning musicals pre-1980's and nothing really stands out post-2000's.
Admittedly I liked Sweeney Todd a lot more back then than I do now pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. Even taking Johnny Depp's offscreen behavior since then out of it, his performance is way too sullen, especially when compared to the livelier stage performances of the character.

I love Sweeney Todd so I’ll go to bat for it. And I thought Frankenweenie was wonderful as well, so that to me was his last home run. So underrated.
Ah, I forgot about Frankenweenie. That one's definitely underrated in that I always forget it exists. It's pretty decent though I wouldn't put it above Corpse Bride or the gold standard Nightmare Before Christmas, which I still count as a Burton film.

No way is this opening that big. I'm hyped for this film... but I think Deadline are over-estimating things.

They may. I think an opening anything 50M+ would be incredible so 100M would be out of the stratosphere.

I can't see this opening bigger than Deadpool & Wolverine. Probably not bigger than Despicable Me 4 either.

Looks like the Beetlejuice animated series will be airing on MeTV’s new cartoon channel…

Glad to see it, considering I don’t think that **** is streaming anywhere.

I like the suggestion that he’s been stuck in that waiting room for the entire last 36 years.

On the poster I notice what might be a deceased escape artist. Perhaps Beetlejuice decides to cut his stay in the waiting room short and enlists the aid of this escape artist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"