rumored gremlins sequel now a full on remake

Get the director of "Monster House" or "Hellboy" to do it.

Yeah, Dante had a lot of fun with G2 you can tell. Like the questioning of the 3 rules before the one guy gets mauled by Stripe.

I love how Gremlins 2 satires itself.

I like Gremlins 2 because its so different and very meta.

Both movies work because they aren't trying to be the same thing. It's like how Alien and Aliens, Terminator and Terminator 2, even Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 are great movies with sequels, because while both are connected to the same history, they are not trying to repeat themselves or ignore the original. It's when you start doing trilogies and more that it falls apart. Depending on their direction it could be a good or bad thing with this movie.

"Gremlins" Sequel To Be An Actual Sequel?

By Garth Franklin Friday November 27th 2015 12:03PM
Following in the wake of films like "Jurassic World" and "Tron: Legacy" - it seems the long rumored "Gremlins" reboot won't be a reboot after all - rather a continuation decades after the franchise began.
Speaking at a Q&A following a screening of the original 1984 "Gremlins" at London's Prince Charles Cinema this week, original star Zach Galligan says the new film, which hired a new writer earlier this year, won't be a remake but rather a proper sequel to the first two films due to the wishes of Chris Columbus, who wrote the original and is producing the new one:
"It's not going to be a reboot. It will not be a remake in any way, shape, or form. Chris Columbus has come out and said that the first film is very near and dear to his heart and as long as he is alive it will never be remade.
So the only thing they will be – and apparently are going to be – doing is something along the lines of like Jurassic World, where it will be 30 years later."
Columbus had previously been reluctant to do the film because everyone was suggesting a reboot to him, but at last report he was "approached with an idea that really sounded like an interesting version... it's not a remake of the movie at all, it's just a reinvention of it" at the time.
Source: Games Radar

Man, I wish we'd get some updates about this. I think WB is taking their time with this precious IP.

It will be a reboot and still be set partially in the shared Gremlin universe ;) .

I just hope they stay close to Rick Baker's Gremlins 2 designs. Those puppets were amazing.

Is this still happening? History has shown that trying to remake a 80's hit does not go over well.

My fear is that they will inevitable redesign the Mogwai/Gizmo and the Gremlins themselves, and try to put a realistic spin on things, make it more serious, etc...

Yeah, Dante had a lot of fun with G2 you can tell. Like the questioning of the 3 rules before the one guy gets mauled by Stripe.

Over time i came to the conclusion that the 'feeding after mid-night' rule was based on the Gremlin's biological clock. So if a Gremlin is on the East Coast, it's body is on EST. If it flies into another time zone, it's body is still on Eastern Standard Time, until it adjust to the new time zone, just like the human body does which is why we get jet lag.

A “Gremlins 3” Script Is Done & It’s Dark

By
Garth Franklin -

Wednesday, August 16th 2017 6:41 pm
http://cdn.darkhorizons.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/a-gremlins-3-script-is-done-its-dark.jpg
Filmmaker Chris Columbus has revealed that he has completed the script for a third film in the “Gremlins” saga.
Speaking with Slashfilm whilst out doing promotional rounds for “Patti Cake$,” Columbus says: “I’m really proud of the script. It is as twisted and dark as anything, so we’ll see. It’s always a budgetary conversation when we’re going to shoot it. I wanted to go back to the really twisted sensibility of the first movie. I found that was a very easy place for me to fall back into and start writing again so hopefully we’ll see that movie soon.”
Warner Bros. Pictures had previously hired screenwriter Carl Ellsworth (“Red Dawn,” “Disturbia”) to pen the film which started out a reboot until Columbus retooled it into a direct sequel. He also assures fans the creatures will still be puppets: “Oh, without a doubt, minimal CGI. CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier.”
Columbus says his script presents an idea that some fans have suggested. If the gremlins come from the mogwai Gizmo, shouldn’t someone try to kill it? “Very good observation. That comes up in the movie, certainly… I think it probably is a good idea to be honest with you. Too many people are dying.”
Columbus isn’t directing, but will produce alongside the original 1984 film’s executive producer Steven Spielberg.

What? A new Gremlins sequel with puppets? Great! :woot:

It really had better damn be puppets, they can't CG this thing.

They won't be able to resist.

It really had better damn be puppets, they can't CG this thing.

There might be some puppets (if Gizmo is back, I would hope they'd keep him a puppet for the most part), but it's unrealistic to think they won't use CGI for this. It's more cost-effective. It might not be as fun but it's the nature of the beast these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"