rumored gremlins sequel now a full on remake

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
There's been talk for a while now of reviving the "Gremlins" franchise via a sequel, but sadly -- in our opinion -- that appears to have devolved into plans for a remake.

Bing: More on 'Gremlins' | Bing: More on Seth Grahame-Smith

According to Bloody Disgusting, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are producing the project for Warner Bros. The initial idea was a sequel to the original 1984 movie (and its under-appreciated, totally bonkers 1990 follow-up, "Gremlins 2: The New Batch"), but now in typical fashion any idea of creativity has been thrown out the window in favor of a rehash.

There's no word yet on a director (we suppose original "Gremlins" and "Gremlins 2" director Joe Dante won't be invited to the dance), or whether Grahame-Smith will write the picture too. We kind of hope he doesn't.

Why? Well, while we have not read his books "Pride and Prejudice with Zombies" and "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," we do know that Grahame-Smith wrote the screenplay for the pretty lousy 2012 movie version of the latter. He also wrote the horrific script for last year's unwatchable "Dark Shadows" remake from Tim Burton. In Hollywood logic, that should automatically qualify him to write a remake of one of the 1980s' most beloved horror comedies, right? (He's also written a yet-to-be-filmed "Beetlejuice" redux and has done some work on the new "Fantastic Four" script.)

Make no mistake, "Gremlins" is beloved, partially because the creatures, brought to life by puppetry and animatronics, had such a handmade charm to them while also being thoroughly creepy. We have no doubt that all that will be replaced by CGI in the new film.

In case you don't recall, the story centered on a teenager (Zach Galligan) whose father brings home a cuddly but mysterious pet called a Mogwai. There are three rules one must follow when it comes to taking care of the little critter, and when those rules are disobeyed, all hell breaks loose.

Will the new version keep the fairly nasty tone of the original? Who knows? Just thinking about this makes us tired.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/blog--now-it-looks-like-theyre-remaking-gremlins#

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...dnight/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

umm yeah i knew i should have suspected this but still......****

I'll remain optimistic but reserved. At this point I'll take a good remake even if it isn't a sequel.

I'd be fine with it except Seth Grame Smith is involved. The man is a complete hack

Why remake a movie that was already perfectly fine? It doesn't need to be redone.

I think this should stay in development hell.

I like AB: Vampire Hunter, and the book and P&P and Zombies was a great book. Also I liked Dark Shadows. Am I a horrible person?

On topic this probably will suck. Gremlins does not need to be remade.

CGI can go and **** itself. So can this remake.

They could go with Spielberg's original plan to do straight horror.

The original Gremlins (and maybe the crazy sequel) were lightening in a bottle due to the era. Gremlins got away with what it did because the lack of a PG-13 rating. So with its PG rating, it went nuts tonally because it can. You can't make a movie like that anymore. it's a product of it's time, just like how a film like 'Blazing Saddle' can never be made today.

Read this yesterday and all I can think is CGI crap-fest, I highly doubt they'll even consider using practical effects, let alone similar designs for the creatures as featured in the originals.

I'm not opposed to a remake, but what I worry about is that it'll either end up being either pure horror or pure comedy, but nowhere in between. To me that's what makes the original so great - it's able to not only go back and forth between being funny and dark, but sometimes can do both at the same time. Joe Dante himself may disagree, but I rather appreciate the fact that in the end it's never fully either of the two...as much as that movie had me on edge at age 7, I doubt I could have tolerated seeing Billy reach the house just in time to see his mom's severed head bounce down the stairs.

I think this should stay in development hell.
In complete agreement. I rather this franchise not be touched and seeing the writer involved gives me zero faith in the project.

Ohoho, another classic getting remade.:up:

I'm totally opposed to this remake. :mad::down

I would rather see a movie that covers where these little suckers actually come from, like are they aliens or conjured up by magic or just ancient mystical creatures.

Was Gizmo the first & only Mogwai that always brings about the meaner & nastier gremlins or was he merely a survivor Mogwai from a previous batch before they became gremlins?

I was just watching Gremlins 2 last night, and that movie still holds up! It's still amazing to see how much more detailed and articulate they made the puppets compared to the first film. And I just love the whole damn thing so much! The Brain, Mohawk, the trio of George, Lenny, and Daffy, so much hilarity!!!!

I'm definitely wary of a remake, unless we get confirmation of them using practical creature effects. That would definitely be a step in the right direction. Although, I always thought he'd be nice to do a sequel with Gizmo in the care of Billy and Kate's offspring, preferably a daughter, and maybe taking place at a college. C'mon on, the gremlins on a panty raid at a sorority house?!?!? That s**t would be hilarious!!!!

I agree that a sequel would be best and hopefully they would be smart enough to use practical effects. There was a certain charm to the puppets that I don't think would be replicated with CGI.

I would rather see a movie that covers where these little suckers actually come from, like are they aliens or conjured up by magic or just ancient mystical creatures.

Was Gizmo the first & only Mogwai that always brings about the meaner & nastier gremlins or was he merely a survivor Mogwai from a previous batch before they became gremlins?

That's actually a much better idea than the remake. And were the gremlins ever weaponized? I think I read somewhere that the back-story of the gremlins was that they were used by the Chinese during WWII to sabotage enemy planes and tanks, hence the old belief that when things inexplicably went wrong with a vehicles engine, it was due to gremlins. But I'm not 100% sure on that. It could be something someone else told me that THEY read, I don't remember for sure.

I was just watching Gremlins 2 last night, and that movie still holds up! It's still amazing to see how much more detailed and articulate they made the puppets compared to the first film. And I just love the whole damn thing so much! The Brain, Mohawk, the trio of George, Lenny, and Daffy, so much hilarity!!!!

I'm definitely wary of a remake, unless we get confirmation of them using practical creature effects. That would definitely be a step in the right direction. Although, I always thought he'd be nice to do a sequel with Gizmo in the care of Billy and Kate's offspring, preferably a daughter, and maybe taking place at a college. C'mon on, the gremlins on a panty raid at a sorority house?!?!? That s**t would be hilarious!!!!

That would be a GREAT sequel. Especially if they go back to the original horror/comedy blend, and not try and do a straight up comedy like The New Batch.

maybe taking place at a college. C'mon on, the gremlins on a panty raid at a sorority house?!?!? That s**t would be hilarious!!!!

Ghoulies beat you to it.

New Gremlins Snickers commercial airing in the UK and France

[YT]/d2bhoIpwb88[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"