Being A Guy These Days

PyroChamber said:
Yeah, that's even more tough.

Especially if you don't live up to standards of how a black man should look and act. If you don't act like a thug then you're not being real, if you happen to like a woman who's another race then you're a sellout, if you make bit of money and move to a nice neighborhood then you're not being true to yourself.

Then you have to worry about being judged by other races.

I can never get my head around that whole mindset. Why have they made a difference between being "real" and being realistic?

PyroChamber said:
Does it seem like sometimes being a guy is a bit harder now than it might have been a few years ago?

With society deciding what a man should look and act like. If he doesn't care for sports then he's not a "real man"? Then when it comes to the opposite sex, he'll have to do something or look a certain way just for a woman to even be interested in him. And if a man isn't successful he's considered a failure by most people.

It just seems kinda hard to live up to certain standards in this society.

i dont care for sports at all, i dont mind playing most of them tho.

I'm a real man.

I open beer bottles with my teeth.

I don't cuddle with women in bed.

I eat steak with potatoes.

I leave the toilet seat up. Yee Hah.

Erzengel said:
I open beer bottles with my teeth.

I don't cuddle with women in bed.

I eat steak with potatoes.

I leave the toilet seat up. Yee Hah.

- That's bad for your teeth
- Why? They're so soft and cozy :o
- Hell yes
- The best way to stop a fight is never to start one. That's all I'll say

Yes, I do find it hard. I hate my penis and what challenges in society it makes me face.

I keed

But seriously, sometimes it sucks

ManHunter said:
i dont care for sports at all, i dont mind playing most of them tho.
You wussy!!!!

But what it boils down to is, most guys are guys at heart, regardless of you being the big popular jock dude, the geeky nerd, the quiet social miscreant, or what have you. We all carry guy tendencies somewhere within us, even if we believe ourselves to be the most sensitive, caring male ever in existence. And as far as the women are concerned, they more than likely want the caring sensitive guy, but at the same time, not some guy who will let her or anyone else walk all over him either. Confusing as it is, you gotta be everything to everyone.

X said:
Having a penis is indeed terrible. Please, rid of of this abomination! I'll pay you to take it off my hands. :D

i think i know someone who can help....

bobbit2.jpg

I heard on the radio this morning that Playgirl magazine did a poll. A majority of the women polled said they prefer men slightly over weight with love handles, a hairy chest, and not rich. Hey that means a majority of the women think I’m hot!

There was a study done in Germany on that overweight men tend to be more faithful due to lower self esteems.

Erzengel said:
There was a study done in Germany on that overweight men tend to be more faithful due to lower self esteems.

Then I guess I would be slightly faithful?

X said:
Ahahaha. :D :up:

But, to be serious for a moment... I'd imagine being a guy has become a bit harder. Every commercial on TV is dealing with our inability to do this and borderline ******ivity, we're the butt of every joke and a lot of guys take it in stride. Well, they take it without even knowing what's going on, but hey.

Feh.

that sentence made me laugh.

Men throwing footballs at a tire and missing as a metaphor for sexual failures. :confused:

I realized a few years ago there is no winning... so I decided to keep my sports, drink, go out and act up. I have no one to answer to and I'm certainly not gonna change. I like who I am. :(

mongo44 said:
I heard on the radio this morning that Playgirl magazine did a poll. A majority of the women polled said they prefer men slightly over weight with love handles, a hairy chest, and not rich. Hey that means a majority of the women think I’m hot!
Dude look where they were advertisoing that pole. They have a target audience to please. If that same poll was in a computer mag it would have mention women likeing the "thiner" (skrawnier) men such as myself, with glasses and pimples.

mongo44 said:
Are you in Chicago, because I know a certain radio morning show that talked about that today.

terry78 said:
Are you in Chicago, because I know a certain radio morning show that talked about that today.

No I'm not...but it was on "BoB & Tom" today...

...swear to god it was. And I'll say that to your face....

PyroChamber said:

Especially if you don't live up to standards of how a black man should look and act. If you don't act like a thug then you're not being real, if you happen to like a woman who's another race then you're a sellout, if you make bit of money and move to a nice neighborhood then you're not being true to yourself.

and dont forget what a black man has to go through when dealing with police:mad: :up:

Stringer said:
and dont forget what a black man has to go through when dealing with police:mad: :up:
"Son, do you know why I pulled you over?" "Ummm, not really." "Get your ass out of the car!" As cliche and unbelievable as some may want to think it is, I actually was pulled over because they thought I was some guy that robbed a store, and he just happened to be driving the same color cavalier that i do, apparantly.

PyroChamber said:

Haha. I wear my pants at my waist, use proper grammar, don't have annoyingly loud bass in my car, have dated while girls all my life, and moved from NY to the suburbs of freakin' Delaware where I was the only black guy in my class all throughout high school so I've heard every "You're not really black" and "Why don't you act more black" comment under the sun.

Another thing that always bugged me about society's image of men is how we're not supposed to be content with just one woman. Last time I checked, I only had one heart and one penis. :confused:

terry78 said:
"Son, do you know why I pulled you over?" "Ummm, not really." "Get your ass out of the car!" As cliche and unbelievable as some may want to think it is, I actually was pulled over because they thought I was some guy that robbed a store, and he just happened to be driving the same color cavalier that i do, apparantly.
something like that has happened to me before too. Its a damn shame

Colossal Spoons said:
Haha. I wear my pants at my waist, use proper grammar, don't have annoyingly loud bass in my car, have dated while girls all my life, and moved from NY to the suburbs of freakin' Delaware where I was the only black guy in my class all throughout high school so I've heard every "You're not really black" and "Why don't you act more black" comment under the sun.

Another thing that always bugged me about society's image of men is how we're not supposed to be content with just one woman. Last time I checked, I only had one heart and one penis. :confused:

Slacker...

PyroChamber said:
Does it seem like sometimes being a guy is a bit harder now than it might have been a few years ago?

With society deciding what a man should look and act like. If he doesn't care for sports then he's not a "real man"? Then when it comes to the opposite sex, he'll have to do something or look a certain way just for a woman to even be interested in him. And if a man isn't successful he's considered a failure by most people.

It just seems kinda hard to live up to certain standards in this society.

I don't know about that. Society has always put high expectations on gender roles. Back in the 50's, there was a VERY definite way that a man was supposed to behave and look and a showing of emotions was a big no-no. Certain careers (doctor, lawyer, anything that made a lot of money) were touted as the end all to be all and everything else was compared to those professions. That all started to unravel in the 60's with the freedom movement and today, men are allowed to express themselves as individuals much more freely without being judged by society quite as much. I'd say the idea of what constitutes a man is MUCH looser and encompassing today than it has been in the past (witness metrosexuals and emo boys still being able to fall under the category of "men" in this day and age when there is no way in hell they would be in the past, for example).

I think it's rather easier to be not only a man in this day and age, but to be be who and what you really are. There is a great deal more acceptability today than there was even 20 years ago over how a man can dress, act, talk and think, let alone what career paths he can take. Remember...commercials are trying to SELL you something and making you feel like you NEED something in order to be a complete person or a real man is one way of doing that.

So far, only one person's hit it on the head in this thread as far as I'm concerned:

[b said:
the norminator][/b]
What many people view as a " real man" is false IMHO. A real man takes care of his own. he treats women with respect no matter how others view them. He is a father(role model, teacher, friend) to his and/or other kids. He loves ( show and give love too) his wife greater than his self( if he has a wife). he has a job. his income has nothing to do with who he is as a man.......ect

i have more but i just thought i would share some of with you guys/girls......thx:) norm

Amen!

jag

Spider-Nerd said:
ya know what. Most guys are just lazy as F***. They want the best looking girl on earth, but they don't want to keep themselves in shape or have any class or dignity whatsoever. That's why there are these fat ass dumbass guys who can't get a date.
What's more, it's pretty sick that a lot of guys (not all, I'm sure) are only willing to behave with class and maintain themselves to get laid. They think they're nice guys, but if it weren't for the prospects they wouldn't put any effort into "what girls want". I say let all these artficial people have each other, so the real gold is sifted out of the mainstream.

So, uh ....... I hear you're ........ movin' soon. Sugar. :o

terry78 said:
You wussy!!!!

But what it boils down to is, most guys are guys at heart, regardless of you being the big popular jock dude, the geeky nerd, the quiet social miscreant, or what have you. We all carry guy tendencies somewhere within us, even if we believe ourselves to be the most sensitive, caring male ever in existence. And as far as the women are concerned, they more than likely want the caring sensitive guy, but at the same time, not some guy who will let her or anyone else walk all over him either. Confusing as it is, you gotta be everything to everyone.
What are guys at heart? Do you mean men are violent and territorial, at heart?

Erzengel said:
Sounds more like an anecdote than a real study. Research rarely confirms cultural assumptions.

For a while in my 27 years of existence, I cared about what people thought about me. I almost got expelled from my junior high because of it. I then made damn sure not to get in trouble again, so my freshman year I never said a word. As a result, I failed Speechwriting in that I wrote speeches but refused to speak them.

In my college years I did talk, and refused to play whatever "game" women wanted to play when I asked them out. I lost count as to how many times women said no, so I just fluffed it off and continued on with my life. I'm 27, single, and quite content with my one bedroom apartment though I would like a better job so I could move to Illinois for more TV coverage of the Cubs, Bears and University of Michigan football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"