Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea. It's Arabic.

Only one I could read is the yellow one. Knowing The Mandarin, most possible translation would be "Matter".

But the Arabic word they used is the verb matter, not the noun matter, as in volume and mass kind of matter.

I guess somebody just chucked in the word "Matter" in some random translator.

But don't take my word, my Arabic's a bit rusty.

They did.

When you plug the word matter into google translate, the straight foward translation is whats on the ring, from what i cant tell.

They did.

When you plug the word matter into google translate, the straight foward translation is whats on the ring, from what i cant tell.

Just checked on Google Translate. Plugging in "Matter" somehow gives out the Arabic word for "to order" or "to instruct" directly. Weird.

I see the word used on the ring is on the other translations list, the first one under verb.

So yeah, probably a case of the mistranslations.

Can't bloody read the words on the other rings tho.

I loved the trailer but I'm not convinced about the Mandarin. White guys dressing as Asian guys seems not quite right in my opinion. It gets worryingly close to Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffanys"

Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for playing Mahatma Gandhi. I think your point is moot.

My question is why does the Mandarin have a tattoo of Cap's shield, with an A on it, on the back of his neck? Bizarre yet blatant easter egg?

is anyone else positive suprised about the accent? it sounds to so different.

Yes. Its sounds commanding and influential.

I am wondering if this Mandarin has direct connection with the USA.

Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for playing Mahatma Gandhi. I think your point is moot.

My question is why does the Mandarin have a tattoo of Cap's shield, with an A on it, on the back of his neck? Bizarre yet blatant easter egg?

My friend has a wild speculation. Super wild.

Mandarin's a failed super soldier project, kinda like how Banner was as well.
But since Mandarin's older, he's probably in the Phase Zero of the project.

Again, super wild speculation. By my friend. He's more of a Marvel fan than I am.

I loved the trailer but I'm not convinced about the Mandarin. White guys dressing as Asian guys seems not quite right in my opinion. It gets worryingly close to Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffanys"

He's half Indian and born with an Indian name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Kingsley

Kingsley was born Krishna Pandit Bhanji in Snainton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England, the son of Anna Lyna Mary (née Goodman), an actress and model, and Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji, a Nizari Ismaili Muslim medical doctor.

Yea. It's Arabic.

Only one I could read is the yellow one. Knowing The Mandarin, most possible translation would be "Matter".

But the Arabic word they used is the verb matter, not the noun matter, as in volume and mass kind of matter.

I guess somebody just chucked in the word "Matter" in some random translator.

But don't take my word, my Arabic's a bit rusty.
I don't think it's random. That may actually give us a clue as to Mandarins abilities when it comes to the power of those rings (or at least that particular ring).

That may be the way he's controlling the suits. By taking control of "matter" per say.

I'm completely speculating here.

I don't think it's random. That may actually give us a clue as to Mandarins abilities when it comes to the power of those rings (or at least that particular ring).

That may be the way he's controlling the suits. By taking control of "matter" per say.

I'm completely speculating here.

Yeah. That's what clarifies things for me. Mandarin does have a "Matter Rearranger" ring, along with his Ice Beam rings, Fire ring, etc. That's why I think the writing on the yellow ring is supposed to translate to "Matter".

But what I'm saying is, they used a wrong arabic word for the word "Matter". They used the matter in "How does it matter to you.." kind of matter.
You get what I mean?

Damn, languages are tricky stuff.

My friend has a wild speculation. Super wild.

Mandarin's a failed super soldier project, kinda like how Banner was as well.
But since Mandarin's older, he's probably in the Phase Zero of the project.

Again, super wild speculation. By my friend. He's more of a Marvel fan than I am.

I HIGHLY doubt that.

That would make him older than Captain America, and not just physically.

and its already been established in this universe that Johann Schmidt was, more or less, Phase Zero of that project.

Yeah. That's what clarifies things for me. Mandarin does have a "Matter Rearranger" ring, along with his Ice Beam rings, Fire ring, etc. That's why I think the writing on the yellow ring is supposed to translate to "Matter".

But what I'm saying is, they used a wrong arabic word for the word "Matter". They used the matter in "How does it matter to you.." kind of matter.
You get what I mean?

Damn, languages are tricky stuff.
Oh I see. lol

That's sort of a funny slip up then (albeit a sort of ignorant one). :hehe:

Mandy sounds like Agent Smith from The Matrix. :woot:

Anybody else notice that the tat on the back of his neck is Cap's shield with an anarchy "A" in the center instead of a star....? Nice Cap connection there, and it shows what Mandarin's ultimate true goal is.

I HIGHLY doubt that.

That would make him older than Captain America, and not just physically.

and its already been established in this universe that Johann Schmidt was, more or less, Phase Zero of that project.

I mean, in between Capsicle and Hulk, "a lot of people" did try to replicate the super soldier serum after Cap disappeared. Coulson said so in The Avengers.

And the theory is that Mandarin is one of the subjects, failed subjects, between Cap and Hulk.
It indirectly explains why Mandarin has an American accent.

And Mandarin as a failed super soldier kinda give some sense on why Iron Patriot is in the movie.
Probably exploring on the theme of how the government treat soldiers and veterans: Does the government see soldiers are mere weapons? What happens to the soldiers post-service?

Probably that's why
Mandarin is trying to kill the POTUS. Assuming the rumours are true.
But, my friend's probably wrong. Sounds crazy.

Another theory is that the shield represents America. A represents Anarchy.
Anarchy in America. I like this one better.

Man, I love when promo material comes out. Gives a lot of things to talk about.

Last edited:
Maybe this "matter" on Mandarin's ring is some kind of matter rearranger?

Or maybe it's just to remind him every now and again when he gets too hot and bothered that "it doesn't matter".

I really hope his rings have some kind of powers, even if it's coming out of the Extremis virus and is purely technologically based. Taking away his powers and just making him a terrorist leader would be like taking away Magneto's magnetic abilities and just making him a radical leader of a movement. Mandarin's ring powers are the very thing that make him unique.

I can definitely see them go for the pure tech based rings. But yeah if the rings don't have any powers, that will be lame and take away a lot from the character.

Pretty sure the rings will have powers. Mandarin's gonna need 'em, if the rumor is true....

According to inside source rumors, Mandarin battles no less than FORTY Iron Man suits, all (but one) remotely piloted, or sentient.

I just had a though about Mandarin's voice in the trailer.

I think it may have sounded a bit off because he may have been wearing a helmet. The sound of it reminds me of when Tony speaks in the armor.

Very IM and Bane like. It just has that, loud artificial flare like those had.

I just had a though about Mandarin's voice in the trailer.

I think it may have sounded a bit off because he may have been wearing a helmet. The sound of it reminds me of when Tony speaks in the armor.

Very IM and Bane like. It just has that, loud artificial flare like those had.

Nah, it's not muffled. Even before you saw Bane's mask in the teaser trailer, you could tell his voice was muffled.

Kinglsey has just opted to go for a weird Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith accent of indeterminate ethnicity.

TBH I'd be fine with them just shooting something similar to repulsor beams. But even if they did that i don't understand how mandarin would just shrug off tony's attacks without anything enhancing his durability.

Probably the same way he does in the books: by being superhumanly strong thanks to Chi-amping.

People are not realizing where Mandarin's voiceover is coming from. It most likely is from a scene in the film they just cut to be used as a voiceover in the trailer.

So what are the conditions of that scene where he is speaking, maybe there is a purpose for him to be kinda calm and slow tempoed about his speak.

I'm not a fan of the voice, but whatever, I'm just going to go with it.

But I reserve(cause my voice matters!!:woot::whatever:) the right to say that there's something even more offensive about the character now. A terrorist called the Mandarin, with Chinese dressing/hair styling then swapped out with an Indian like it's just nothing.

BEHOLD THE RINGS !
pw384.jpg

People are not realizing where Mandarin's voiceover is coming from. It most likely is from a scene in the film they just cut to be used as a voiceover in the trailer.

So what are the conditions of that scene where he is speaking, maybe there is a purpose for him to be kinda calm and slow tempoed about his speak.

I'd say the scene most likely involves a hostage situation, since he addresses "women, children, sheep." Hopefully not *literal* sheep, but hey, maybe he hates them, too. Dirty wool-wearing grass-eaters....:cmad:

I'd say the scene most likely involves a hostage situation, since he addresses "women, children, sheep." Hopefully not *literal* sheep, but hey, maybe he hates them, too. Dirty wool-wearing grass-eaters....:cmad:

It's a pity that this didn't take place after GotG and CA:TWS. He could say "falcons, racoons, sheep..."

The character's accent seemed a bit 'off' to me in the trailer, but it's not a big-enough deal to turn me off from seeing the movie. I'm just glad that we're finally getting to see IM's most recognizable antagonist 'in the flesh'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"