Iron Man 3 Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rings with Arabic writing on them definitely rules out the Makluan/alien angle, if anyone still harbored doubts about that. My question now is who *did* make the rings? Did Mandarin himself just have them designed as an affectation in recent years (pre-IM, anyway), and is each symbol then just meant to represent a code word for each member of his Ten Rings organization? Or are the rings going to turn out to be mystical and ancient after all?

remember Vanko's prison tattoos in IM2? thoroughly made the character better but for no real reason. There was never a close up enough view during the movie to read or comprehend them, but just the sheer concept and attention to detail made the character more real. That could be what happens with Mandarins rings. I'd prefer an explanation but even without it the movie could be good.

What might be interesting. I dunno randomly throwing this out there, but if the rings represent leadership of a criminal/terrorist organization like how you see in the first film. So basically he has taken over all these groups taking the rings from all of them. Very Moriartish I guess...ya.

Maybe they are for fighting :). Imagine getting punched in the face with that, must really hurt!

I'd just like to say I'm really glad the second sequel features the Mandarin. It's Iron Man's best villain/equal, in my opinion. Usually movies feature the most well-known villain in the first film or sequel, so it's refreshing to see that saved for a third film.

تحلل dissintigration
قوة ساحقة impact
برود ice/snow
لهب flame

google translated some common Mandarin ring words into Arabic. It could be as simple as that tbqh. They aren't clear enough and my knowledge of Arabic isnt good enough to be sure.
He could have got it from a dodgy shop in London :o it could say "babes", "drugs", "bikes" and "boobies".

تحلل dissintigration
قوة ساحقة impact
برود ice/snow
لهب flame

google translated some common Mandarin ring words into Arabic. It could be as simple as that tbqh. They aren't clear enough and my knowledge of Arabic isnt good enough to be sure.

I think you're definitely on the right track with this post... Each ring has a story and a meaning to go along with it. The disintegration ring might not be covered in this movie, but each ring represents one of his powers.

In one interview Feige said the rings are still the source of the Mandarin's power... Even if it's as simple as explaining how each part of his network (each ring) will allow him to overthrow the globe--explaining how he intends to use each symbol of power.

Look at it this way: one of his powers is fire. Firepower aka Jack Taggert. As well as the military forces he intends to hijack..

Another is his Coldpower, the ice/snow power, which represents Coldblood who's been given the nerve neutralizer from Iron Man 1. Coldblood (and by extension Mandarin) can freeze people's activities/nervous systems with this appropriated tech.. Stane was developing it for the Mandarin through a Stark subsidiary as a prototype. Mandarin has links to Stane and knows that this power is still effective even though Tony escaped it once. As an archaeologist Mandarin learns from the past. Although Stane's attack failed, Mandarin improves on it. Intends to outdo his ancestors/predecessors (including some of Vanko's plans/designs...) The version of the neutralizer seen in the first movie was only effective at short range. The one Coldblood uses has a wider range, and eventually Mandarin uses it and the news to reach a global audience... He caught Loki's performance, improves on his techniques of ruling too, wants a bigger audience, and knows how to manipulate the news networks. They're on the scene during the attack on Stark's mansion. Mandarin intends to have everything under his control. He plants a virus in extremis and wants to make robotic techo soldiers who are programmed... Not brainwashed or mindcontrolled... This will come into play later. Coldblood is a cyborg-slave sort of thing--unlike Winter Soldier who's only been brainwashed by the Russians and given a bio-mechanical makeover... Coldblood's programming runs deeper. Much more effective than Loki's control over his audience. As I believe Kingsley's performance will be...

The Mandarin believes only technology can lead us... This is his form of anarchy. AIM has possession of the ultimate weapon/form of technology. An A.I. that once it goes global can use the world's airforces and new toys to protect from any attack from space... and much more. They've codenamed this AI Ultron and are trying to sell it to USA and China as a good thing after the events of New York. Of course we know this AI will be a very bad thing the second we're introduced to it at AIM's main facility. In this movie Jarvis interacts with it more than Stark and it's left open for sequels(and prequels because Ant Man would still occur in the past with Pym & Lang).

That's why both Coldblood and Firepower end up working for him in this story. They symbolize his ice and fire powers. His main weapons.
The synopsis says that the Mandarin's "reach knows no bounds". I think this is a slight indication that he has his fingers in a number of groups/terrorist organizations, and even many different cultures, as some have theorized. Each ring that he controls is an extension of his power, and they act like his supervillain powers. They're like his powers from the comics. The rearrangement of matter ring symbolizes Killian... Who creates Extremis. Which becomes only one of the Mandarin's powers & an extension of his control. His mento-intensifier ring that gives him the power to control others might have been heavily altered--this theme/power is almost central to the movie. Controlling things. On the other end we also have AI/Stark representing the other side of the story... tends to have a mind of its own.

Part of his lessons involve neutralizing enemy forces, stripping them of their weapons/technology/power, before invading and overthrowing.
He does believe that Stark is a threat to his plans--that Stark has defenses built up that need to be tested and stripped away first...

The combination of what each symbol represented to him showed him how to take over the world using each piece (he claims his empire will actually free the world, but AIM shows all intent to rule it). They're a part of his past and he talks about what each symbol taught him. Although ultimately he uses advanced science to express the power of each symbol/ the power locked in some of the rings... He has 10 powers like the comics. His lessons unfold in an Art of War like way as he describes how each symbol of power will allow him to create his Empire. Neutralizing the other superpowers is a big part of that lesson. He needs China and USA out of the way first.
He may intend to force them wipe each other out... force them to neutralize each other.

Each ring is tied to a power/element theme. The disintegration could be as simple as Mandarin's intended disintegration of society. Or something more...

This wouldn't be Marvel if the rings did absolutely nothing/held no meaning... They care about their characters more than that. Even if it's a movie version.
The rings have to mean something. They're a big part of his character.
Feige had to have meant something by indicating that they're still the source of his power.

Last edited:
I like to think that the Mandarin's name has now become symbolic for how he sees his position in the new Empire that AIM (actually the remnants of Hydra) intends to form... AIM views him a different way and gives him that name.

I see this Mandarin as an Emperor. Not a businessman or wielder of alien rings. He acted like Genghis Khan and secured every new technology he could find during his business conquests. He uses devious tactics like infiltrating enemy strongholds and attacking from within while expanding, conquering, and annexing. He acts like a leader of an expansive Empire--like his ancestor Genghis Khan. Although this Mandarin also claims descent from Egyptian pharaohs and has a varied ancestry. There's a little bit of a genetic superiority angle to him, but only because he AIMs to outdo all of the old masters he claims lineage to.

He claims that he's related to many rulers of past empires that failed--the old "masters of evil" he calls them. Who lacked proper vision or overextended themselves without securing power. He includes Red Skull in this assessment of failed "Empires", which sets up an interesting dynamic between the two should Skull ever return... His genetic ancestry is interesting to Sterns when he returns. He claims descent from a number of rulers, some from obscure past Empires/kingdoms/dictatorships etc. Also claiming that somewhere along the way his family mixed with Alexander the Great's bloodline...

He views himself as a Mandarin only in the way that it relates to his title/position in AIM/Ultron's future Empire, which he will eventually become Emperor of.
from dictionary.com:
(in
the Chinese Empire) a member of any of the nine ranks of public officials, each distinguished by a particular kind of button worn on the
cap.

He's not a terrorist--he's the figurehead, mouthpiece, and manipulator all at once. A soldier in the battles. "Politicians hide themselves away". He acts as a leader, a mouthpiece, a politician & a figurehead, but he also fights in the battles he starts & controls a massive amount of power/technology. He understands that politics are only one avenue of control and can be used as a weapon. There are no heroes...only soldiers. Soldiers acquired power, Mandarin doesn't believe their true power comes from within... He intends to exploit weaknesses and infiltrate from within. Soldiers are only weapons of the leaders. That goes for Stark and Cap. The leaders are to blame... Shield is to blame, but soldiers are how you win battles and need to be eliminated. Some soldiers, like Taggert, can even be turned against their own country. Again, attacking from within. He's an aggressive and expansive Emperor as well as an active part of the battle at times like Genghis Khan. The problem is that AIM views him as a figurehead Emperor--which is unlike his ancestor(s). He sees himself as the Emperor, they see him as the Emperor without clothes on, a Mandarin, a member & not the leader. That's their mistake.

The Emperor's choice of garb is strange, though like many cultural symbols it's expressing something. The clothes tell a story too. Mandarin is even making it appear to his men that he controls less than he does... The Emperor's clothes are there, strange as they might be, and the choice of clothing/expression is deliberate in this case. There's a propaganda element to his leadership. He lies and tells the truth at the same time... He uses politician-like double speak and manipulates differently than Loki. Loki manipulates and tricks. How you express things dictates how your message/lesson is received. He works like an experienced deceptive leader. Mandarin truly leads and deceives, gets the news on his side unknowingly. Genghis Khan was always on the lookout for spies, controlled his own expansive spy networks, and killed off those who would betray him. Mandarin still found the rings but he read and understood their symbols/inscriptions as teachings about how to build an unstoppable Empire. As a former archaeologist he understands a lot about many different cultures and takes inspiration from many events of the past. He holds views about Atlantis that are different from most archaeologists. Mocked by AIM because of this... which adds humor to the Mandarin indirectly, where there would be virtually none. We know Atlantis exists in Marvel which makes some of his lessons funny, though those around don't know what he's talking about and it's funny that way too... AIM thinks Mandi is just some fanatic leader who looks like a terrorist and knows how to talk. Good for appearances when they shoot their videos Osama style. It's funny that Mandarin is half-right and acts as an Oracle when he says that soon technology will even allow us to find Atlantis. Some of AIM think they have Mandi on a leash. Shield already knows Atlantis exists. So he's right that Shield is hiding things. He claims lineage to many cultures/Empires. He has his own views on the past. Knows all about Shield, Captain America & Red Skull as someone interested in digging things up from the past. Has powerful allies hidden in the wings...

Last edited:
Rings with Arabic writing on them definitely rules out the Makluan/alien angle, if anyone still harbored doubts about that. My question now is who *did* make the rings? Did Mandarin himself just have them designed as an affectation in recent years (pre-IM, anyway), and is each symbol then just meant to represent a code word for each member of his Ten Rings organization? Or are the rings going to turn out to be mystical and ancient after all?

I really really hope the rings are mystical and ancient or even alient...i just want the rings to have powers. Mandarin's power rings are one of his defining qualities. I'm going to be disappointed if he just wear the rings and they do nothing.

I really really hope the rings are mystical and ancient or even alient...i just want the rings to have powers. Mandarin's power rings are one of his defining qualities. I'm going to be disappointed if he just wear the rings and they do nothing.

please prepare to get disappointed then. there is a very high probability that those rings don't have any power at all

Getting really excited about this movie. Mainly because of Kingsley's Mandarin.

All I can say is, I hope Kingsley doesn't jinx this movie like other tentpole movies he's been in.

What I really don't want is for them just to make the rings the Infinity Gems as a 2 in 1 sort of thing.

What I really don't want is for them just to make the rings the Infinity Gems as a 2 in 1 sort of thing.

Yikes, no.
The Inifnity Gems are way, wayyyy too much power for someone like Mandarin to possess.

Yeah, we don't need that. There's just no reason for it.

Dunno if this has already been discussed, but I was watching The Avengers for the bajillionth time today during my flight. I had never noticed before, but the scene with all the people showing their support of the Avengers on a news broadcast shows the "A" that's on the Mandarin's neck.

JnFy8.png

So the Mandarin is not the main villain, but being reduced to merely a supporting henchman/sidekick??

I do hope they give him decent screentimes and lines though.

So the Mandarin is not the main villain, but being reduced to merely a supporting henchman/sidekick??

I do hope they give him decent screentimes and lines though.
Where did you hear that? :huh:

Where did you hear that? :huh:

He's talking about the recent quote by James Badge Dale. Dale said (paraphrasing somewhat here) that Coldblood is the muscle for the bad guys, Killian is the brains, and Mandarin is the mouthpiece.

Are you guys ready for some spoilers? I happen to have some inside knowledge and I would not have released this info just yet if you guys were close to guessing certain things in the movie's plot, but I'm not seeing anyone here who's even come close to answering some of the movie's most mind-boggling scenes. So here we go:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

---
---
---
---
---
1) The Mandarins AVENGERS Tattoo explained: Remember the end of the avengers when people were getting their faces painted and getting tattos all over the world? How come nobody ever though about that? jezus, its not that hard to fiqure out. He got it so he could act like he's a fan of the avengers as a disguise to get close to tony. Being one the the films most comedic acts done by kingsley, Happy Hogan gets tricked to thinking he's just a fan that really wanted to meet tony just so he could infiltrate his house and plant some tech into his suit. DUH! BOOM Major spoiler! This will also explain alot of the other spoilers i'm about to give you.

2) The Mandarins Rings: They're actually enhanced technical remote devices that have a more advanced version of the extremis virus made specifically for him by Aldrich Killian who was working for him all along. Aldrich Killian was selling tech to the terrorists in the way Tony never wanted to do in the First movie. AGAIN, really? really? You guys couldn't even figure that out?
The rings allow the mandarin to control sophisticated equipment using his rings in conjunction with the extremis virus, including tony's suit that was sabotaged and thus tossed tony around like a rag-doll , thats why he looked so beat up.

3) Tony makes a compilation suit out of all his last armors in a way to technically confuse the Mandarins rings so that he couldn't access and control any-one-part of his suit since tony mixed them up so randomly, giving him the advantage to beat the mandarin WHILE attacking his minions with an army of 40 other suits all controlled by a newly hacked and modified version of extremis virus that Maya Hansen fixed inside tony's body. (yes, she turned on killian after she found out he was working for terrorists, plus had feelings for tony) This of course was after the events of Iron Mans defeat by the Mandarin earlier in the movie. BOOM another spoiler.

4) Pepper Pots "kinda" becomes the rescue, only because while the big last fight takes place, tony uses his mind to telepathically summon pieces of one the the 40 armors to her body while she was being held captive by Aldrich killian. She then break lose with the armor and kicks killians ass.

Thats all for now....just can't figure why no one's figured this stuff out yet..

Dunno if this has already been discussed, but I was watching The Avengers for the bajillionth time today during my flight. I had never noticed before, but the scene with all the people showing their support of the Avengers on a news broadcast shows the "A" that's on the Mandarin's neck.

JnFy8.png

Nice catch. If its been discussed, I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"