Benham brothers lose HGTV show after 'anti-gay' remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperFerret...do you believe the Pope and Mother Theresa are two-dimensional fanatics?

It always kind of scares and disappoints me when I hear people talking about how their religion is so central to who they are. That sort of fanaticism can lead to very bad things, and it's disappointing that real people can be that two-dimensional.

My beliefs are central to who I am. And I don't think I am scaring anyone... :p

Yeah...have religious beliefs being central to who you are doesn't mean you don't have hobbies, talents, preferences, personality, strengths, weaknesses....not any different than not having religious beliefs. Don't understand that two-dimensional remark.

Beliefs are a part of who you are. If it becomes so central that your identity is just that you're a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. you're not a well-rounded person. Having it be a big part is fine, it's when it takes over that it's scary.

I guess arguing semantics...I don't think 'central' means only or exclusion to everything else. You can say that about anything, philosophy, politics, sports team, career...

I don't think any modern-day figure whose personal and public identity is wrapped up in religion more than the Pope...pretty sure no one considers him two-dimensional..haven't heard any calls that he's fanatic.

It's still scary in those regards. If someone was all about the Yankees in every aspect of their life, wouldn't you find that a bit unsettling?

As a New Yorker, I'd say that most of us are just kind of meh on the Yankees. They've won so many World Series that it's not exciting anymore, so who cares?

Well the problem is that when your beliefs based on(whatever)pass your nose onto others lives, it becomes a problem.

And as much as you want to scream injustice, gay people fighting for civil rights is not forcing beliefs on yours.

Well the problem is that when your beliefs based on(whatever)pass your nose onto others lives, it becomes a problem.

And as much as you want to scream injustice, gay people fighting for civil rights is not forcing beliefs on yours.
Sums it up nicely.

the last two people who identified themselves to me as 'christian' are currently registered sex offenders. spiritual people, in general, don't bother me in the least. but i find the type that try to influence others to share their faith kind of creepy.

Well for me I don't know any sex offenders or creepy Christians. :shrug:

Religion has little to do with it I think. It's a good excuse though.

Mobsters who killed people and beat their wives were known Catholics.

Well for me I don't know any sex offenders or creepy Christians. :shrug:

Me neither, but I'm not even sure what this conversation has to do with gay rights. *shrugs* I don't really care either.

I sense this will be turned into a Christian bashing thread :rolleyes:

Well in my never too humble opinion people like the Duck Dynasty posers are as Christian as a horse's ass anyway, so IMO they're really two separate topics.

Me neither, but I'm not even sure what this conversation has to do with gay rights. *shrugs* I don't really care either.
Of course you don't care, it doesn't affect you. But these two guys and their "beliefs" and active protesting against gay and women's rights actually DO affect people.

So again, believe all you want to believe about whatever you want to believe all day and night long. But when your beliefs begin to cross over into reality and start to infringe on other people's rights, well then, I believe you can take you beliefs back home.

Some people believe women shouldn't vote, others think black people are inferior, others believe gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry. That's fine when they only just believe that. It's another thing entirely when they actively try to force those ignorant beliefs on others lives.

Since once again some people show that they can not discuss some situations without turning it into a religion bashing session...this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"