Best...SEQUEL ever made so far?

^Not a sequel.
More of a continuation of a story not finished from Episode IV.

:cool:

Aliens.

It's the only sequel I can think of that actually imrpoved upon everything that made the original so great without taking anything away from it. And I will go as far as to say it is also the greatest action film ever made.

newsGross_479.jpg

Awwww................show some love for Mad Max :) So much better than Thunderdome :D hehehehe

Daggard said:
Discounting strict trilogies like Matrix, LOTR & Star Wars of course.

We all know that 95% of sequels tend to suck, but over recent years they seem to have improved in quality and even - SHOCK - surpassed the original (as rare as it usually is).

I've included From Russia With Loved because it was the first sequel to a Bond film (and if you don't like it, you can take it up with my lawyer, B. Lowme. :))

So what's the best sequel ever made?

In america, yes, sequel have sux since the damn of time. But when you look elsewhere, it hasn't always been so.

In Japan, 27 great Zatoichi sequels were made. Akira Kurosawa did one heck of a masterpiece when he made a sequel to Yojimbo, and it turned in Sanjuro. The samurai trilogy telling the story of legendary samurai Musashi Miyamoto played by Toshiro Mifune is another great exemple. In Hong kong, there was 50 sequel to the original Won Fei Hung movie. While I haven't seen even ONE of this wong serie, they are well seen by critics.

The one-armed swordsman's trilogy is one hell of a great exemple. The second one is still my favorite shaw brother movie, and it's a sequel, of course. In the 80's, Jackie chan gave us the excellent Police story trilogy, and a sequel to his first drunken master. Stephen Chow's Chinese odyssey part 2 is such a little underrated gem.

In the anime world, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust's pretty great, and Ghost in the shell is a modern beauty.

The muppet movie by Jim Henson are all great.

And then there's the 27 follow up to the original godzilla, and the 10 sequel to the original gamera. There's also the great Daimaijin trilogy. And the once upon a time in China saga, or the mr. vampire 5 movie stories. I could go, of course.

Heck, there's been so many great sequels that it's impossible to chose, imo. Sniff.

But I think i'll go with Dawn of the dead. It still holds a very special place for me as a sequel which truly expended upon it's original source.

How come nobody's voting for Star Trek II? It was the greatest Trek film ever made!

I voted for Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets

Empire Strikes Back hands down. No need for further discussion.

Out of the list Godfather 2.

Aliens because it was so different and IMO better than the first movie.

Godfather II, T2 and X2 are all close behind.

I went with Aliens. I may have picked T2, but I can't think about the terminator now without thinking of that crappy third movie.

Warhammer said:
^Not a sequel.
More of a continuation of a story not finished from Episode IV.

:cool:
A continuation of a story? Isn't that the defination of a 'sequel'?

Also, not to rib on you :) but how is Harry Potter any different? It's a large story seperated by 7 books/movies.

Octoberist said:
A continuation of a story? Isn't that the defination of a 'sequel'?

Also, not to rib on you :) but how is Harry Potter any different? It's a large story seperated by 7 books/movies.

Not necessarily.
The Empire Strikes Back was originally meant to be a continuation.

For instance, Spider-Man.
It didnt need a sequel but it got one anyway.
Spider-Man 2 had a good story, but it wasnt a direct continuation of the first movie's story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"