• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Superhero Movie of 2014

idk
guess i just don't get what was so superior about it
and this from someone who grew up reading only x-titles, was super excited when the original movies were announced, and still counts X2 among his top 5 cbm's

just thought Cap was more thoughtful, action scenes were better, and acting was more consistently solid

I voted for the Winter Soldier. I don't get what was so good about DOFP either. After all the great critical acclaim it got I was expecting something amazing when I saw it. Instead it was just a OK movie I don't think it was even as good as First Class or X2 which is still the best X-Men movie in my opinion. It has some terrific actors but the action scenes were just OK and the story was nothing special.

AMS 2 was crap. Critics were right on that.

I wasn't too stoked walking out of DOFP. Thought it could have been much stronger and I was really not that emotionally invested besides a few moments. Kind of disappointed on the ridiculous level of exposition, lack of world exploring in the future, no real development with new characters and pretty much wasted efforts on Sentinels.

I'm tough on this series though. Being introduced to the comics at a pretty young age this film series has always been an extreme let down to me with the characters. Didn't hate the film or anything, mostly just disappointed this franchise will probably never be something I want it to. Maybe had my expectations way too high here. But at this point I'm just tired of being let down.

The film making and writing on X2 and First Class was stronger/tighter imo. Glad people dig it, I hope to see this franchise branch out with it's hundreds of characters. But I don't get the love here.

Last edited:
I'm curious what the 3 you have before ASM 2.

Also, then why do you think it's not as well received as it probably should have?

I have no clue why it didn't get received while no idea at all. I have never been has confused by reviews has I am with asm2. Man of steel while it got bad reviews or mixed how ever you want to put it I thought the movie was good but way way worse then asm2 yet it has slightly better RT Score and I thought man of steel had way way more prolems then asm2. Sm 3 when it came out I could see the problems but felt the problems where over blow but with asm2 I don't see the problems. I though the story was good don't see the messiness that people talk about. While hear are my top 10 CBM list right now.

1. Dark knight rises
2. Spider man 2
3. Batman begins
4. Amazing spider man 2
5. Dark knight
6. Xmen DOFP
7. cap 2
8. avengers
9. asm1
10. man of steel

Cheese wasn't the movie's problem. Poor plotting, characters, and story were.

I have heard a lot of people say that the movie was to cheese and I don't see the poor plotting thought the plot was really really good and spider man and gwen characters where perfect and the other characters where really good to.

I wasn't too stoked walking out of DOFP. Thought it could have been much stronger and I was really not that emotionally invested besides a few moments. Kind of disappointed on the ridiculous level of exposition, lack of world exploring in the future, no real development with new characters and pretty much wasted efforts on Sentinels.

I'm tough on this series though. Being introduced to the comics at a pretty young age this film series has always been an extreme let down to me with the characters. Didn't hate the film or anything, mostly just disappointed this franchise will probably never be something I want it to. Maybe had my expectations way too high here. But at this point I'm just tired of being let down.

The film making and writing on X2 and First Class was stronger/tighter imo. Glad people dig it, I hope to see this franchise branch out with it's hundreds of characters. But I don't get the love here.

Is it because of lack of action?

Is it because of lack of action?

No. More for the reasons I posted.

The actual execution of action (minus Blink and Quickilver) was disappointing imo but I was much more let down within the eradication of mutants narrative, pacing, world building, new Character development and not using the potential of the X-Men franchise as a whole. The Trask/Sentinel thing was just boring to me and the future scenes felt rushed, weak, not balanced and too confined imo. I really dug the opening scene and wanted to see more of that world explored. But at the intro to the temple I almost instantly didn't care about them and felt like they were only there to read a teleprompter of rules. With the 70s portion Mcavoy owned his scenes, but it all was very predictable to me so that took a majority of the weight off. Funny that the things I was looking forward to the least (QS, OT reunion) ended up being my favorite.

There's alot of moments I like, but there's a ton more where I think the scenes and creative decisions could have been much stronger. Really wanted to dig it, but this just ended up being another meh X flick for me.

Last edited:

No. More for the reasons I posted.

The actual execution of action (minus Blink and Quickilver) was disappointing imo but I was much more let down within the eradication of mutants narrative, pacing, world building, new Character development and not using the potential of the X-Men franchise as a whole. The Trask/Sentinel thing was just boring to me and the future scenes felt rushed, weak, not balanced and too confined imo. I really dug the opening scene and wanted to see more of that world explored. But at the intro to the temple I almost instantly didn't care about them and felt like they were only there to read a teleprompter of rules. With the 70s portion Mcavoy owned his scenes, but it all was very predictable to me so that took a majority of the weight off. Funny that the things I was looking forward to the least (QS, OT reunion) ended up being my favorite.

There's alot of moments I like, but there's a ton more where I think the scenes and creative decisions could have been much stronger. Really wanted to dig it, but this just ended up being another meh X flick for me.

Had the same experience you did and I agree with pretty much every thing you took issue with. . I thought X2 was a significantly better film than DOFP in almost every facet. Based on the rave reviews in the DOFP forum I was expecting quite a bit more than what I got.

My biggest qualm was with how convenient/easy things kept happening all throughout their time in the 70's in order to get the group to where they needed to be to stop Mystique. For a movie trying to evoke the kind of emotion it did, it had some very Saturday morning cartoon moments. It also feels like Singer cornered himself by trying to retcon everything.

My favorite scene in the movie though is when they're aboard the plane. Fassbender owns that as he's raising his voice and the plane's metal starts contracting.

Definitely DOFP. That movie rocked my world.

Isnt this thread a bit early with Transformers: Age Of Extinction (its more of a CBM than Robocop), Teengae Mutant Ninja Turtles, Guardians Of The Galaxy and Sin City 2 still to come out?

Anyhow, so far its DOFP and IMO I cant see any of the above movies beating it because it was so brilliant, but you never know. I havent disliked any of the CBM's to come out this year so far though.

My favorite scene in the movie though is when they're aboard the plane. Fassbender owns that as he's raising his voice and the plane's metal starts contracting.

Yeah, the plane scene was really well done. Performances were spot on there.

So I just got back from X-Men: DotFP and have to say it was excellent. I'll probably need to see it again but it rivals X-2 in terms of the best X-Men movie.

However, I still think I'd rank CA: TWS higher but a little bit.

And while I'll probably be waiting until the end of the year when I watch it when it comes out on Netflix, I don't see how TASM 2 can measure up to either of them.

TWS was better IMO, but i watched DOFP expecting to be disappointed and I was pleasantly suprised as i walked out of the theater.

With all the hype surrounding it i actually expected Captain America to be better, sure it was good, but far from being the "high level movie" many made it out to be, the plot wasn't all that impressive and the bits where Nick Fury or another agent would put a hole in the ground felt really weird for me.

With all the hype surrounding it i actually expected Captain America to be better, sure it was good, but far from being the "high level movie" many made it out to be, the plot wasn't all that impressive and the bits where Nick Fury or another agent would put a hole in the ground felt really weird for me.

a hole in the ground?

Yeah, like when Nick Fury escapes from the Winder Soldier the first time they encountered each others

how did it "feel weird"??
they have lots of fun little gadgets, even on Agents of SHIELD, so Fury's toy was acceptable and made for a couple fun moments

how did it "feel weird"??
they have lots of fun little gadgets, even on Agents of SHIELD, so Fury's toy was acceptable and made for a couple fun moments

I know they have plenty of fun gadgets, but digging a whole hole in the ground was just a bit too weiird to me, makes me ask a lot of questions like how dense the ground really was, or if Nick Fury had to melt it, because it just seemed a bit too helpful for my tastes, like, "a the villain is gonna catch the good guys, but oh wait, they dug a hole in the ground and disapeared!"

It feels a bit too much like a cheat for me, in a film like the Matrix where reality is all different i could buy tere being ways to create "holes" in the system, but in a film that was feeling so realistic, for there to be this kind of thing it didn't work with me.

I'm sure posters will tell me how the MCU was always unrealistic and all that, i can suspend my disbelief in most cases, but in here, it just didn't work with me.

I know they have plenty of fun gadgets, but digging a whole hole in the ground was just a bit too weiird to me, makes me ask a lot of questions like how dense the ground really was, or if Nick Fury had to melt it, because it just seemed a bit too helpful for my tastes, like, "a the villain is gonna catch the good guys, but oh wait, they dug a hole in the ground and disapeared!"

It feels a bit too much like a cheat for me, in a film like the Matrix where reality is all different i could buy tere being ways to create "holes" in the system, but in a film that was feeling so realistic, for there to be this kind of thing it didn't work with me.

I'm sure posters will tell me how the MCU was always unrealistic and all that, i can suspend my disbelief in most cases, but in here, it just didn't work with me.

That was the scene where you couldn't suspend your disbelief? What did you think of the Arnim Zola scene? :funny:

I just don't understand why Winter Soldier didn't go down the hole.

I guess we're to assume he did but lost the trail. Nick Fury is a sneaky guy after all...right?.

Last edited:
DOFP for James McAvoy's acting, Mystique's character arc, Magneto manipulating the sentinels (and that plane scene), the brutal deaths in the future, and dat ending!

WS is second, which is surprising. I'm not a big fan of Captain America but I thought the Winter Soldier was really cool and had a compelling relationship with Cap. It felt connected with the Avengers world. However, the movie tried to be a political thriller, but I find the hydra stuff humorous lol.

Spider-man made me take a two week break from comics. I vowed to go longer but DOFP motivated me to get back into them.

Last edited:
Really close but I went with DOFP because I had a bigger emotional connection with it. I liked Cap's theme about a surveillance state but was a little disappointed that once they revealed that Nazi's were behind it, they just dropped the theme

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"