The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Big changes?

best i think they can do is stop rushing forward and either bring new writers onboard or get someone decent to look over and do some changes to the 3rd script

i mean the current writers are very hit and miss

The people talking about the 80% user rating on RT, pls stahp. That rating will go down as US audiences start actually seeing the movie, as per usual. It's nothing to hang your hat on. Even if it remains in the 70s for the user rating, it doesn't mean much.

I am totally fine with Andrew coming back or hell, even JK Simmons coming back as JJJ. i don't care about that stuff. I just want Marc gone and Sony to re-evaluate what they are currently trying to do and failing at.

let's say if the Webb franchise had never existed and you had to do The Amazing Spider-Man reboot yourself, what would you do then?

ps. this is mainly a question to chaseter but I also welcome other people to come up with something

Last edited:
A bit of a wild fantasy, but I would have rebooted it with Peter in college (high school had been done) with both Gwen and MJ. Ironically, I thought Emma Stone would be a great MJ and still would if not for playing Gwen (or really a variation on Ultimate MJ). I probably would have left Harry out as they did or had him in the background with Flash. No origin and no flashbacks. Peter can talk about his Uncle Ben in one scene late in the film when rationalizing himself to another character, but no need to cover old ground.

I am curious about seeing Peter Parker the adult, not the young adult. It would be trying to get Peter past college and explore that time where he is in his mid-20s. I probably would have used the Lizard, but more as part of a Kraven's Last Hunt storyline (which would not be the first film). I think it would build to the death of Gwen Stacy and eventually Peter marrying Mary Jane.

But it is a flight of fancy, this is what it is, so it has to be judged on its own merits and not what we wanted it to be.

well of course we gotta accept what this reboot is, it's not gonna somehow change no matter how much fan fiction we pile up on it, but it's just really enjoyable to imagine the perfect Spider-man reboot. It's not really as much out of bitterness towards the Webb franchise as it is just from the fun of it. and I'm saying this as a guy who liked both Webb movies for what they are

Sony raped Marc Webb's dreams again. No biggie.

lol. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm willing to bet that if you took the entire cast and crew and just moved the production to another studio, things would have been different...as in better different.

Based on the first film and what I read of the second film, the problem with the Webb franchise seems to be that it's too fixated on setting up things for the future than on the story at hand. Both films seem to get the criticism of the universe buildup taking away from the character development and story progression, or at least from the full potential of those things being developed.

I haven't seen TASM 2 yet, but I really hope that's not the case. If it is, I will be really disappointed. These things drive me nuts. It's the same issue I took with MOS and most of Marvel's Phase 1. This is not television. I should not have to wait a few years to see things that should have been covered in the first film. You can still build a universe and set things up for the sequel(s) while still telling a complete self-contained story. You have to find that balance. Examples of films that found that balance are Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Marvel's Phase 2 (I took issue with IM3 and Thor 2 but they're still self-contained), etc. Even First Class has that balance there, despite all the continuity errors.

Based on the first film and what I read of the second film, the problem with the Webb franchise seems to be that it's too fixated on setting up things for the future than on the story at hand. Both films seem to get the criticism of the universe buildup taking away from the character development and story progression, or at least from the full potential of those things being developed.

I haven't seen TASM 2 yet, but I really hope that's not the case. If it is, I will be really disappointed. These things drive me nuts. It's the same issue I took with MOS and most of Marvel's Phase 1. This is not television. I should not have to wait a few years to see things that should have been covered in the first film. You can still build a universe and set things up for the sequel(s) while still telling a complete self-contained story. You have to find that balance. Examples of films that found that balance are Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Marvel's Phase 2 (I took issue with IM3 and Thor 2 but they're still self-contained), etc. Even First Class has that balance there, despite all the continuity errors.

Agreed, my man. I still haven't seen ASM2 yet either but we are in the same boat on our thought processes.

I would just let Marvel own Spider-Man but I would still keep the same cast just wouldn't have Sony own the rights and if Sony still own it then get better writers

people fear that Marvel studios would give Spidey the same treatment they gave to Thor and Cap, but I think that under no circumstances would they be careless with the Spidey property

I'm going to repeat something I said in another thread:
Critical reception means jack-****. What is going to determine the success or failure of this movie is its Box-Office performance and Word-of-Mouth. People are more likely to listen to people they know than to faceless critics, and given that the film currently has an 80% User Approval rating, it is highly likely that positive reviews from general audiences will trump negative ratings from critics, particularly once the film opens in the U.S. tomorrow.

While that is why I said if the movie makes less then the first one because boxoffice is the biggest thing and this movies have protection to make a lot more money. The popularity has went down for this movies sences after spider man 3. This movies cost 200 plus budget and then you got marketing they are not cheep you cant afford for the movies to keep making less money. If the movie makes say 700 million that would be 2 spider man movies in a row to make less would that make sony rethink this movies?

I have to say that everything that Shikamaru has said is right on the head. However, let's see what the OW will be. If it is truly going to be 86 mil, then we officially have a problem. Though, if it gets 95 mil, I believe that will ease the pain slightly.

The film has already made $132 million internationally, and, as noted, we have yet to see it open in U.S. markets, so it's more than likely going to end up being a financial success even if the critics' score goes down.

So spider man and 2 where consider great then we had spider man 3 witch was consider bad then the amazing spider man witch was consider ok sligly good and now sounds like the amazing spider man 2 is bad. So with 3 movies in a row not being liked all that while do you think we could see some big changes going forward if this movie makes less then the first one? I mean that would be 2 in a row that have made less then the one before and if you think about it not nearly has many people are into this movies has the first 3 could we see new writers or derecter or something for the amazing spider man 3?
Orci and Kurtzman need to go. Point blank.

The fact that these two hacks continue to get work in the superhero genre proves, quite profoundly, that some of these studios are truly more interested in making a lot of money rather than making genuinely good films that also make a lot of money. It's been proven time and time again that both are attainable.

And while I think there is a director out there better suited for this franchise, dumping Orci and Kurtzman would be a huge first step. God help that Venom film.

Last edited:
Why would it go down? It's more likely to go UP.
Yeah about that :/

They always go down. I have no clue why you thought it would go up, unless you thought the movie was just that good and that critics were full of it. In which case top kek m8.

Judging the RT scores, this is another "Man of Steel" where one side of the fence absolutely loves it and the other side absolutely hates it/tears into it. Some of the critics scoring and critiquing I find laughable and they're faultfinding just about everything and anything. The worst of it is they're comparing this film to "Batman & Robin" which is just stupid.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say who is right and wrong, but from my friends' reactions last night, they loved it, and understood what Webb was doing--building things up for the next one; they had no issue with little screentime or setup for some villains versus others. They had no issue with other things some have complained about.

I'm sure I'll find some things I won't like with the film because no film is absolutely perfect but if there are big changes to come... Orci and Kurtzman are very hit-and-miss. When they're hot they're hot but when they're not... oh jeez.

I also think too that need to not go into everything so rushed and crunched for time. One half says the movie is focused while the other half says it is strained by too many plotlines and villains. Maybe the next movie should just have Norman as the Green Goblin or Norman and Chameleon or Mysterio. I think that would be cool to see because you could really mess with Peter's head and you wouldn't need the black suit or anything to make Peter struggle with what he should and should not do. Also, if Peter finds out Norman was responsible for his parents' deaths, he is going to want vengeance especially since Norman practically gave Harry the idea to go after Peter Parker and through his desperation to find a cure, his son put aside friendship and reason to abduct Peter's girlfriend and kill her. Norman is a bad dude that needs to go down permanently or at the very least get his ass kicked by Spidey and sent to Ravencroft or Ryker's. Once there, he can begin the final stages of the Sinister Six, and then it's payback time on the ol' webhead.

The people talking about the 80% user rating on RT, pls stahp. That rating will go down as US audiences start actually seeing the movie, as per usual. It's nothing to hang your hat on. Even if it remains in the 70s for the user rating, it doesn't mean much.

It's seems you want this movie to be received badly.

Well, I suspect that SONY is going to do some serious re-evaluating.
You don't go whole hog with a Sin6 and Venom branching films when the trunk of your tree is infested.

I'd do what it takes, even if that means a 3-4yr break and try to get Shailene back. Piggy back off her rising star status with Divergent and have her as MJ. Bring in JKSimmons as Jonah(hey if the Bond franchise can have overlapping M's so can JJJ, right) and get Avi Arad the heck out of dodge. Ditch Webb, cause he's becoming the Tim Story of CBM directors delivering mediorcity.

Get a much more humanized element going with real depth. A film with a character than can play on levles beyond the pizzaz and f/x---I mean Kraven. He can be the Bane that Spidey needs. One of the few character to really get into Peter's head and best him. That would likely lower the budget as well.

Oh goodness that is a lot to think about as it's a huge undertaking.

If I were in charge I would do another Spidey solo movie that had nothing to do with any of these movies. I would have Spider-Man already be Spider-Man from the get go. He is a 20 something college student working at the Bugle. Ben has been dead and he lives with May and is dating MJ. No Gwen at all since it's a rehash of this series and you can't sour the GA like Sony already has done. I would have the movie start off with a small action spectacle like Shocker. Harry and Norman are in this movie too. Setup some easter eggs like Otto working at OSCORP and Peter attending Connors classes. The main bad guys here would be Norman on the side sending out some nameless thugs or even Shocker again to try and take down Spidey but we would need a main villain we hadn't seen yet. I am thinking Scorpion or Vulture. That's basically fills an entire movie. Toomes could be just an angry billionaire much like Norman who escapes Ravencroft or Scorpion could be an OSCORP creation at the direction of Norman. Scorpion attacks Norman and Spidey saves him. Basically no MJ or May getting kidnapped in this one either. MJ is there for the support but neither her nor May know who Spidey is.

Now, what I would do that differs from anything Sony wants to do is I would make a deal for Spidey to be in the MCU. Have the stinger at the end be Iron Man or Fury telling Spider-Man that they need all the heroes they can gather together for Thanos' impending attack on Earth. He could be in Avengers 3. The cross promotion alone would pull in Marvel GA fanboys. That alone would elevate the character.

Going from there, the opportunities are limitless.

Outside of the Norman Luthor stuff, I agree :up:

I too would make a film in which Spider-Man is in the MCU and has existed for a while. Just like you. My biggest departure would be, I would adapt the "Master Planner" storyline. So, we have a villain (I'd use Mysterio) for the first film loosely tied to someone calling himself the Master Planner. In the second film, we reveal it is Doc Ock, who Spidey will have thought was dead in some prior incident we didn't see. Close the 2nd film on that reveal, and in the 3rd film, all out war with the Master Planner (which could maybe be a loose interpretation of the Sinister Six if we give him a bunch of Spidey villains as his agents). Heck, maybe even Fury wants Spidey to look into this guy for him! Would tie him into the MCU more easily.

I'd choose Doc Ock as Master Planner mostly because I think the Osborns work better when Norman isn't Lex Luthor. At least in the Master Planner story, the audience would have no idea who the villain is.

I really think the issues with these films are the writing, not Webb at all. I like his style/vision given what we've got so far.

I think the next reboot, Spectacular Spiderman, should avoid Osborne altogether.

Go with a Mob angle perhaps with The Enforcers, Hammerhead and them hiring out to characters like Shocker, Tarantula, Scorpion.

Maybe even go a bit more supernatural with Kraven/Calyspo, Morbius, Man-Wolf and really make it dynamicaly different in tone.

If the next trilogy reboot is Osborne/GG there aren't enough rolling eye gifs to be posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"