Billy Batson

Manic

User title? USER TITLE?!
Reaction score
It's easy enough to find information on Captain Marvel on Wikipedia and Google, but I've had one bad place of a time searching for info on Billy Batson. So hopefully, someone around here can help me...

Where was Billy Batson living when Shazam gave him his powers? Where has Billy been living throughout the majority of his adventures as Captain Marvel? I don't just mean Fawcett City; I mean, was Billy living in the streets? Under a bridge? With foster parents? Also, where was his sister, Mary, living?

Manic said:
Where was Billy Batson living when Shazam gave him his powers?

In a subway station. His parents were killed by Theo Adam (Black Adam's decendant), and his uncle kicked him out, so he was homeless.

Manic said:
Where has Billy been living throughout the majority of his adventures as Captain Marvel? I don't just mean Fawcett City; I mean, was Billy living in the streets? Under a bridge? With foster parents? Also, where was his sister, Mary, living?

After becoming Captain Marvel, Billy was taken in by a guy who he somewhat jokingly refers to as "Uncle Marvel". His sister lived with a wealthy family in the rich section of Fawecette, who had qadopted her after their real parents were killed.

Do they still live in separate households now that they know they're related?

I think so. But they do go to school together.

Question for anyone who read "First Thunder":

Okay this is supposed to take place during "year one"...Superman is still new to heroing. Captain Marvel and Supes meet up for the first time.

So how is Billy still a teen-ager in the present day?

in first thunder he's a kid like 10 or 11 now he's in highschool. i dont see the problem. plus its comic book time.

Yeah, Billy should be like seventeen now. But I understand your query. I figure Cap'n marv should have come in a good bit of time after Supes, like maybe five years or so.

In the continuity, Captain Marvel has been Captain Marvel for about three years. He's a good deal greener than Superman. He's now seventeen, after OYL.

The Question said:
In the continuity, Captain Marvel has been Captain Marvel for about three years. He's a good deal greener than Superman. He's now seventeen, after OYL.

See...that's what doesn't match up. If he's only been Cap Marv for 3 years...how was he around to meet Supes back in the day? The first issue of the mini states that only Supes and Bats are around...the other heroes haven't debuted yet. Supes and Bats have been around for much longer than 3 years in comic book time.

Yeah, that right there's weird. Unless they somehow retconned it to say that he was six when he became Captain Marvel, that don't add up. He was thirteen when he became Captain Marvel, and he's just turned 17 after OYL.

That doesn't even make sense, Batman and Superman were certinaly not the only active heroes at that time.

I think the mini is just flawed.

RockSP said:
See...that's what doesn't match up. If he's only been Cap Marv for 3 years...how was he around to meet Supes back in the day? The first issue of the mini states that only Supes and Bats are around...the other heroes haven't debuted yet. Supes and Bats have been around for much longer than 3 years in comic book time.

Plus Cap was in the Geffen Justice League which i'm sure was longer than 3 years ago comic book time.

Yeah, if your looking for continuity, the first Thunder thing isn't were you'll find it. It is however a good story non the less.

Yeah, just read First Thunder for the story. I enjoyed it a lot.

Basically, (I don't know where Q got the 3 year thing from), this is always how I saw it:

- The JLA debut:
in 1960 (real-time)
10-12 years ago (comic-time).

- The Crisis happens:
in 1985 (real-time)
5-6 years ago (comic-time)

This is not all that unlogical, considering the League has been around in real-time now for 45 years, and the Crisis happened 25 years later (real-time) again, so that'd be around halfway.

Captain Marvel was introduced into the DCU during the Crisis and afterwards became a member of the League. His current age (OYL) is 17. If we count back 5 years or so, that would make him 12 when he became Captain Marvel. I think that's a pretty decent age, and he wouldn't be all that green.

The Question said:
In a subway station. His parents were killed by Theo Adam (Black Adam's decendant), and his uncle kicked him out, so he was homeless.

After becoming Captain Marvel, Billy was taken in by a guy who he somewhat jokingly refers to as "Uncle Marvel". His sister lived with a wealthy family in the rich section of Fawecette, who had qadopted her after their real parents were killed.

Originally, I believe that Billy found Shazam while exploring a cave.

No. Billy was living in a subway station, and Shazam sent an emisairy to fetch him.

War Lord said:
Originally, I believe that Billy found Shazam while exploring a cave.
Key-word being: Originally, Q.

I'm fairly certain the subway thing is how it's always been.

According to marvelfamily.com you are indeed correct. I remember the cave-origin from somewhere as well. Weird.

Harlekin said:
According to marvelfamily.com you are indeed correct. I remember the cave-origin from somewhere as well. Weird.

I think you are thinking of Captain Thunder, a Captain Marvel knock-off that DC used to test the waters for a relaunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"