Shazam Asher Angel IS Billy Batson

Web-Head

Oh boy yeah
Reaction score
gettyimages-831141108-h_2017.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...r-angel-star-as-billy-batson-dc-movie-1055189

Asher Angel, one of the leads on Disney Channel’s Andi Mack, has snagged the role of Billy Batson opposite Zachary Levi in New Line’s DC superhero movie Shazam!

The project is casting up as it heads toward a production start in early 2018, with Mark Strong already in talks to play the villain and Grace Fulton in line for a lead.

The DC Entertainment superhero story centers on a boy named Billy Batson who can transform into an adult superhero by uttering the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym of the ancient world gods and historical figures Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury, from which Batson derives his heroic attributes when in adult form. Levi is starring as Batson’s alter ego, the adult hero known as Captain Marvel.

David F. Sandberg (Annabelle: Creation) is directing Shazam! from a screenplay by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke.

The Batson role is a big break for Angel, who plays Jonah Beck, the love interest for tween girl Mack on Disney’s Andi Mack. He has had a handful of appearances in TV and shorts and recently wrapped his feature debut with an indie titled On Pointe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...r-angel-star-as-billy-batson-dc-movie-1055189

DN9_2C-V4AAtgCl

Last edited:
Okay... Never seen the kid before but I like that they went very young.

An alliterative actor, Asher Angel, playing an alliterative adolescent in Billy Batson. LL loves this.

Was coming to post this. Can't wait to see the big red cheese hit the screen

Continuing the tradition which began on the cover of Whiz Comics #22:

Whiz-comics-22-capt-marvel.jpg

And on the 1970s Shazam! series.

captainmarvelfilm.jpg

Get Levi and Angel in character and it'll be complete.

Last edited:
Never heard of him before. How old is he?

He looks twelve, but he's actually 15

How did they cast Billy Batson so quickly? The search for Peter Parker for Spider-Man Homecoming took months.

How did they cast Billy Batson so quickly? The search for Peter Parker for Spider-Man Homecoming took months.

That's because Homecoming was an unprecedented collaboration between two studios that both had to make a mutual agreement about who was cast.

And Spidey is an icon. Gotta take their time.

No disrespect to Shazam/Billy...but they're Shazam and Billy

Plus he just has to play Billy instead of both sides of the character

I am guessing we are being made aware of this now but like with Levi, the choice was made some time back.

I am guessing we are being made aware of this now but like with Levi, the choice was made some time back.

The director did say he wanted to announce it last week but had to wait

And Spidey is an icon. Gotta take their time.

No disrespect to Shazam/Billy...but they're Shazam and Billy

Spidey is an icon. An icon that referenced Shazam by name. In his first movie.

[YT]X4l3hK9XI9k[/YT]

It makes no sense, but it'd be funny if Billy when he first transforms, randomly checks if one of his powers is shooting a web from his wrist? :oldrazz:

Last edited:
[YT]X4l3hK9XI9k[/YT]

It makes no sense, but it'd be funny if Billy when he first transforms, randomly checks if one of his powers is shooting a web from his wrist? :oldrazz:

Wizard: With this great power I have given you...

Billy/Shazam/Capt. Marvel: I know, I know... great responsibility, yadda yadda...

Wizard: Heard that one before eh?

Billy/Shazam/Capt. Marvel: Like... five, six times maybe. I get it.

I haven't seen him before, but he looks spot on for Billy. A younger Billy Batson in live action finally!

He's 15? What if he reaches puberty mid-way through the production? =P

Ok...But casting Spidey who is a much bigger cultural icon is still a lot different than casting someone like Shazam. There's not as much "responsibility" or pressure or whatever.
And Im not trying to diss Shazam at all. It's just that Spidey is a much bigger deal, so that's possibly why it took longer to cast

Last edited:
He's 15? What if he reaches puberty mid-way through the production? =P

He kind of looks like he could grow up and mature quickly. For a sequel he might be aged out of the role if he starts looking like a young adult. He looks at that point where he's about to change rapidly.

I would've preferred someone considerably younger who could still look like a young boy for several movies.

One day for a reboot, we're going to find that Asher Angel is playing Shazam instead of Billy.

He kind of looks like he could grow up and mature quickly. For a sequel he might be aged out of the role if he starts looking like a young adult. He looks at that point where he's about to change rapidly.

I would've preferred someone considerably younger who could still look like a young boy for several movies.

One day for a reboot, we're going to find that Asher Angel is playing Shazam instead of Billy.

:funny:
c'mon son

Yes, and Zachary Levi would be playing Old Shazam Wizard. :o

Billy's been portrayed as a teenager before, even in the comics. Given how long it takes to make a sequel even if they cast an eleven year old he'd be 13 or 14 by the time production started and well into his teen years by the time a third film were done. So... Yeah, the inevitable march of time and all.

But my feeling is that unless it's Wonder Woman related you aren't ever going to be satisfied by anything in these films so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"