Comics ??Birthright being retconned out of continutity??

DavidTyler

Sidekick
Reaction score
I've been hearing rumours that Birthright is being removed from continuity. Is this true and, if so, what will be replacing it?

Is it possible that we're going back to Man Of Steel? I certainly hope so. While Waid is good with character development, Byrne is by far better with coming up with logical and believable concepts. Waid is just not good at that.

If anyone knows for certain, please post back and give me some info that I can research.

Im writing the new continuity, if you have any suggestions place them here.

god, I hope this is true. Birthright was ass. I mean, soul-vision?!

Here's my suggestion: start w/Man Of Steel. That is the most interesting version of Krypton. No frigging crystaline world. Human life can't survive let along evolve on a world like that. What the hell would they eat? Quartz?

The S shouldn't be the symbol of the El family or anything Kryptonian. I like the 8 they use on Smallville. One can easily see how Jonathan and Clark would adapt that emblem into the familiar \S/.

And the suit is not Kryptonian... it was made by Martha and Clark's tight aura is what keeps it intact. That's why the cape can suffer while the skin tight costume survives.

Give us back the Birthing Matrix - it's the most believable way to get the baby from Krypton to Earth. As I've said in many other posts, the matrix would tend to all the infant's needs as it made the journey. Wrapping him in blankets and dropping him into the cockpit of a rocket will only result in a dehydrated, starved corpse with signs of being bounced around the inside of the ship.

MOS Smallville works for me but I'm kind of diggin Lex in Smallville. If we could find a way to include some of those elements ... including - at least for a little while - Lionel.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

BTW, I know you're probably not the one doing the rewrite. I'm just posting the suggestions here for the hell of it.

DavidTyler said:
Here's my suggestion: start w/Man Of Steel. That is the most interesting version of Krypton. No frigging crystaline world. Human life can't survive let along evolve on a world like that. What the hell would they eat? Quartz?

The S shouldn't be the symbol of the El family or anything Kryptonian. I like the 8 they use on Smallville. One can easily see how Jonathan and Clark would adapt that emblem into the familiar \S/.

And the suit is not Kryptonian... it was made by Martha and Clark's tight aura is what keeps it intact. That's why the cape can suffer while the skin tight costume survives.

Give us back the Birthing Matrix - it's the most believable way to get the baby from Krypton to Earth. As I've said in many other posts, the matrix would tend to all the infant's needs as it made the journey. Wrapping him in blankets and dropping him into the cockpit of a rocket will only result in a dehydrated, starved corpse with signs of being bounced around the inside of the ship.

MOS Smallville works for me but I'm kind of diggin Lex in Smallville. If we could find a way to include some of those elements ... including - at least for a little while - Lionel.

If I think of anything else, I'll post.

BTW, I know you're probably not the one doing the rewrite. I'm just posting the suggestions here for the hell of it.

I've always been bothered by that in the Superman movies.

It's nice to find Superman fans who share my taste's atleast somewhere on this board. I say we boycott the comics if they return to silverage style.

I'm a big fan of Waid, but Birthright was his weakest work. I didn't even read much of it, just two or three issues and I skimmed the rest. And god, it was just kind of boring. Anyway, I actually like the \S/ (or some variation of it) being a Kryptonian symbol, but it's hardly a necesity for me.

retconned said:
It's nice to find Superman fans who share my taste's atleast somewhere on this board. I say we boycott the comics if they return to silverage style.

I say we let them know that we'll boycott if they return to a silverage style.

DavidTyler said:
I say we let them know that we'll boycott if they return to a silverage style.

Not all aspects of the SA are bad...uhhh...I can't think of any right off the bat :O ...but seriously I don't think we aren't going to see a return of Superman's big FOS key or any of the "usual" corniest that it associated with the SA. Unfortunately because of that stupid ass show Smallville we got Lex in Smallville with Clark...again. And that's the SA aspect that should be jettison asap. However, though I see why DC is re-incorporating some aspects of the SA. They are not going to go all out.

Corny=SA and Up, up is not corny. They seem to be aiming for a more serious tone, but with some of the...fun and adventureness from the SA. Say what you want, but the SA was...creative.

Agreed on all points about soul vision...I just don't know what to say about that except I hate it with a passion of three burning suns.

I'm all for going back to MOS as an origin. Everything that's used today seemed to be based off of it to some extent until recently (the Cyborg, Lex not being a fat 60 year old guy, Metallo, Clark actually being cool and not a character you roll your eyes at, Brainiac, the Death and Return of Superman, Metropolis itself, and many other factors). Although MOS seems to be ignored too, the current Superman continuity was built off MOS. Without Byrne's story being in continuity, the world of our modern Superman's continuity falls apart if you take a moment to stand back and look at how a certain character did [insert activity A] ten years ago, and how it could affect [insert activity B] currently. And the ripples in continuity only spread out and get worse from there.

DavidTyler said:
I've been hearing rumours that Birthright is being removed from continuity. Is this true and, if so, what will be replacing it?

Is it possible that we're going back to Man Of Steel? I certainly hope so. While Waid is good with character development, Byrne is by far better with coming up with logical and believable concepts. Waid is just not good at that.

If anyone knows for certain, please post back and give me some info that I can research.

well, to be clear, birthright was never intended for continuity int he first place.

by the way, while i sure as hell hope it DOESNT end up as continuity, what have you been hearing about this and where?

it seems that with the whole infinite crisis thing, lots of stuff got merged....like MOS and Birthright...but it still hasnt been made quite clear yet, post infinite crisis, the details of supes' origins.

DavidTyler said:

MOS Smallville works for me but I'm kind of diggin Lex in Smallville.

in one of the 52 issue Ralph is talking to Cassie and says something about what the 'S' actually ment in Krypton, it ment hope i think...i think that works well, and that it should stay like that. :supes:

and i'm also a fan of Lex being around in Smallville :up:

I'm more a fan of Lex's upbringing alongside Perry White in Byrne's mythology. Luthor just comes across as so much more evil, yet sympathetic at the same time.

Yeah. I mean, he is a total *******, even when he's doing what he thinks is the right and honorable thing to do, but the fact that he grew up in the slums (an environment where it's basically "If you want or need something, just take it and don't look back"), it is somewhat understandible.

Its no rumor.

At the Toronto Con 2 months ago, I asked Dan Didio myself at the DC Crisis Councilling Panel.........."Whats the official origin for Superman post-IC, Birthright or MOS?"

He said neither. Birthright has been retconned and they are working on a new Silverage-inspired origins that doesnt conflict with the past postcrisis history as much as BR did and is respectable to the mythos.

I cant wait for this. I hope we get the crystal Krypton from the film, looked amazing in the prequel comics.

Alright, everybody join me in booing Kane out of this thread. If you haven't noticed, not many people here want your precious silverage influenced comics back, other than Charl I think. Thats silverage loving BS might work on the Returns board, but not here and not in community.

P.S. Kane, are you a plant for the WB and Singer, honestly?

Kane said:
Its no rumor.

At the Toronto Con 2 months ago, I asked Dan Didio myself at the DC Crisis Councilling Panel.........."Whats the official origin for Superman post-IC, Birthright or MOS?"

He said neither. Birthright has been retconned and they are working on a new Silverage-inspired origins that doesnt conflict with the past postcrisis history as much as BR did and is respectable to the mythos.

I cant wait for this. I hope we get the crystal Krypton from the film, looked amazing in the prequel comics.

thanks! honestly, whether you're a silver age fan or not...thank f**king god
that they're directly addressing the situation and getting everything cleared up. and damn, at least they aint going with birthright as the origin....:up:

retconned said:
Alright, everybody join me in booing Kane out of this thread. If you haven't noticed, not many people here want your precious silverage influenced comics back, other than Charl I think. Thats silverage loving BS might work on the Returns board, but not here and not in community.

P.S. Kane, are you a plant for the WB and Singer, honestly?

Wtf. Dont be an idiot.

I'm just keeping it real and stating things for what they are. Whether you like it or not, the silverage revival has been happening and will continue..

So deal..

Ben Urich said:
I loved Birthright. I wish it were canon.

It got mixed reviews, didnt sell as well as expected, violated existing postcrisis continuity............so most of the fans were on the fence about it and so was DC.

Worst of all, it had some ties to Smallville the TV series.... So I'm thankful they arent keeping it.

I liked Birthright, the Smallville refferences were only the fact that it was updating Lex in Smallville/knowing Clark before he was Superman, which is actually from the Silver Age...Other than that it wasn't like Smallville at all. I'm not upset it's being retconned though, cause I think it actually works best as an elseworld, or in this case, an in continuity thing that changed because Superboy punched the universe (god, that's still soooooo stupid)

I for one couldn't be happier, we finally get the coolest thing from the movies in the comics too, the crystal tech. Looked great in the preview comics to SR and looked even better in Up Up and Away, We got the movie fortress already all that is left now is the ship, excelent.

DC just has to stop confusing the **** outta people and stick to one bloody story.
But I vote MOS.

Spike_x1 said:
Although MOS seems to be ignored too, the current Superman continuity was built off MOS. Without Byrne's story being in continuity, the world of our modern Superman's continuity falls apart if you take a moment to stand back and look at how a certain character did [insert activity A] ten years ago, and how it could affect [insert activity B] currently. And the ripples in continuity only spread out and get worse from there.

Damn that Superboy!

Anyway, I was never a big fan of the "arctic crystal super planet" Krypton as depicted in the Donner films. Just didn't do it for me...

Byrnes Krypton was best - it was actually alien instead of Earth remix.
Having Krypton more alien underscores the humanity Kal-El has developed on Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"