Comics Man of steel day 06-12-2013

Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
June 12 is MAN OF STEEL Day, Free SUPERMAN Comics
DC Entertainment Declares June 12 'Man of Steel' Day at Comic Book Retailers and Bookstores Across the U.S.

In celebration of the summer’s most eagerly anticipated film, DC Entertainment is partnering with comic book retailers and bookstores across America to declare Wednesday, June 12 MAN OF STEEL DAY, ahead of the film’s wide release on Friday, June 14. Sponsored by Sears, those visiting their local comic book retailers on MAN OF STEEL DAY will receive a free copy of ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1 SPECIAL EDITION comic book by Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly.

In addition to the free comic, DC Entertainment has partnered with Warner Bros. to provide comic shops with various MAN OF STEEL promotional posters and bags to get fans geared up for the film’s release.

Fans who visit comic stores on MAN OF STEEL DAY can also purchase the first issue of red-hot new comic series, SUPERMAN UNCHAINED, from bestselling creators Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. The series promises to elevate the already high-flying hero to new heights as he faces off against foes familiar and new. SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1 includes a bonus two-sided, tipped-in poster measuring approximately 11” x 18” that can be easily removed for display.

“Comic fans and moviegoers have made it very clear that they are eagerly awaiting the arrival of MAN OF STEEL in theaters and we’re excited to offer our retailer partners a chance to celebrate the occasion and tap into fan’s enthusiasm,” stated John Cunningham, vice president of marketing, DC Entertainment.

Also available at comic retail locations is DC Collectibles’ all-new line of 12” MAN OF STEEL statues that capture the film’s characters, Superman, Jor El, Zod and Faora, in stunning, highly-realistic likenesses. The line is already a top seller for DC Collectibles, further demonstrating retailer and fan excitement for MAN OF STEEL.

Continuing the celebration around the film’s release, DC Entertainment has partnered with Random House to bring MAN OF STEEL to libraries across the U.S. on Saturday, June 15. More than 1,000 local libraries will offer visitors buttons, bookmarks and Superman comics.

On the digital front, ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1 will also be available for free download, courtesy of Sears, and the “Superman 201” digital comics sale kicks off on June 12 at www.readdcentertainment.com, the DC Comics app, and all digital platforms (comiXology, Kindle, iBookstore, Nook). The sale offers hundreds of acclaimed Superman titles like SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW by Brian Azzarello and Jim Lee, SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu – all for $.99 each.

CBR 04-18-2013:
Superman At 75: Dan Jurgens Reflects On The Man of Steel
75 years ago today, the very first issue of "Action Comics" rolled off the printers and introduced Superman to the world. Though the character had lived in the minds of creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for years before that, the date is as good as any to celebrate the Man of Steel's legacy as a character in and out of the comics.

CBR has been marking the occasion all day with features including Comics Should Be Good's reader-driven countdown of the 75 Greatest Superman Stories of All Time and Mark Waid's personal Superman trivia test. But it wouldn't be fitting to discuss the legacy of Siegel and Shuster's hero without speaking to some of the creators who have kept him alive in print all these years, starting with cartoonist Dan Jurgens.

A writer and artist with an unparalleled resume in mainstream comics, Jurgens is perhaps still best identified by his work on Superman in the 1990s. He was the longest defining creative force in an era that brought Superman into the modern day with massive storylines like "Panic In The Sky" and, of course, "The Death of Superman" and its subsequent "Reign of the Supermen" tale. Comic Book Resources spoke to Jurgens about his own history with the Man of Steel and how the character's legacy with another iconic artist made taking on the task of drawing the comic a daunting one, why a focus on Superman's humanity is paramount in making the character work in any era and what it will take to move the hero beyond 75 years. And stay tuned tomorrow for more talk with some of Superman's iconic creative forces.
Best Art Ever (This Week) - Superman 75th Anniversary Edition

Comic Book Resources:

In Your Face Jam: I Finally Care About Superman

After having previously declared his lack of interest in comic books' most iconic character, Brett confesses he's had a change of heart when it comes to Superman.

Brett White said:
I finally care about Superman.

Regular readers of the JAM might recall that I didn't always feel that way. Last December I wrote about my lack of interest in the prototypical superhero following "Man of Steel's" first trailer. My critique of that first trailer still stands, and that critique is essential to why I think I've finally come around. In comparison to the first trailer, which left me sure we were going to get a grim and gritty, hopeless Superman movie, the last two trailers have completely changed my mind. The Hans Zimmer score, the scope, the adventure, the character -- everything I did not know I wanted from Superman has been encapsulated in these trailers.

This was never more evident than in the few times I've gone to the movie theater this month. Before both "Iron Man 3" and "Star Trek Into Darkness," the parade of trailers did nothing but bum me out. It seems like the main selling point of every big blockbuster this summer is just how awful humanity or the future is. Seeing trailers for "Elysium," "World War Z" and "After Earth" back to back to back just left me feeling void of hope. Why are we so big on apocalypses all of a sudden?

And then comes the opening piano bit of Hans Zimmer's new Superman theme from last month's trailer, a trailer with actual hope in it. That's the one thing I've learned to find in Superman: hope. I know that's ridiculously cheesy, and maybe it says something about how exhausted I kind of am with pop culture at the moment, but show me footage of a man flying and saving people to an uplifting, percussive score and you will move me to tears. Just saying.

But the new trailer hasn't been the only thing to help me change my mind. Like I said before, I do believe that a reader can grow to like just about any character if given the right stories. I believe that to be true because I found my magic combo of Superman stories: "Superman: Birthright," "Superman: Secret Identity" and "All-Star Superman." I'd even go so far as to say that this trio of stories could easily convert anyone who thought Superman was as boring as I used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"