Black Panther (2018) vs Iron Man (2008)

The Batman

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
The two most acclaimed solo origin films in the MCU. Two films that mark a huge turning point in CBM history. But which film do you like more?

Iron Man for me.

Black Panther is excellent, but IM set a new standard as to how CBMs should be done.

I never understand the allure of the first Iron Man. It was good, but not Amazing. And yet, it was the backbone of the MCU.

Maybe I was too fascinated by the Dark Knight which debuted the same summer.

I like Black Panther more, but I like the way Iron Man is shot more. best shot movie in the MCU imo. I read some comments by the co writer of Black Panther which I find to be incorrect, out of nowhere and silly. Iron Man is responsible for all this success, which is why they could even take the risk of mkaing Black Panther 9among other movies like GoTG).

I like Black Panther more, but I like the way Iron Man is shot more. best shot movie in the MCU imo. I read some comments by the co writer of Black Panther which I find to be incorrect, out of nowhere and silly. Iron Man is responsible for all this success, which is why they could even take the risk of mkaing Black Panther 9among other movies like GoTG).

Cinematography was better in BP imo.

I think the advantage for Iron Man is that it was actually shot on film. Something about that grain gives it that timeless feel. I wish the MCU would go back to shooting on film.

I still like IM better than any of the other 17 MCU films. Maybe it's just how much of a surprise it was but no other superhero film has ever knocked my socks off the way IM did. Of course it benefitted from a slump of absolutely terrible superhero movies that had preceded it for years and years.

I am watching the phase 1 films for a marathon, and I actually think the best looking phase 1 film is Captain America: The First Avenger. Looks period accurate, colors pop, lots of shot variety, etc. It's the best looking early MCU film IMO. Where I will agree is the colors pop more in Iron Man than Black Panther. BP has that sort of muted look a lot of the other MCU films have from Phase 2 onward. Iron Man lacks shot variety, though. The colors are great, yes. But, both it and Iron Man 2 lack shot variety. 90% of those movies are medium shots. You don't get sweeping landscape shots much, etc. Black Panther wins in that regard in spades.

I am marathoning the MCU the next few weeks. I may revisit my rankings once I am done. I have not seen many of the Phase 1 or 2 films as recently as the Phase 3 work, so I want to have everything fresh.

Iron Man for me.

Black Panther is excellent, but IM set a new standard as to how CBMs should be done.

Exactly. I feel cause of what Iron man did FOR Marvel films as a whole, BP was able to be as successful as it has been..

IM has always been the most overrated film in the MCU. BP all the way

I never understand the allure of the first Iron Man. It was good, but not Amazing. And yet, it was the backbone of the MCU.

Maybe I was too fascinated by the Dark Knight which debuted the same summer.

Iron Man was a fairly obscure superhero, and the approach was a fresh one. Neither is that anymore, but at the time, it was something fresh and invigorating.

Also, you know how they say that something is perfect when you can't take anything away from it? There's also that.

As much as I by now dislike Iron Man, and BP is my favorite MCU movie, I don't think it is a fair comparison, given where they've come in the franchise.

I still like IM better than any of the other 17 MCU films. Maybe it's just how much of a surprise it was but no other superhero film has ever knocked my socks off the way IM did. Of course it benefitted from a slump of absolutely terrible superhero movies that had preceded it for years and years.

It was good but it did not knock my socks off. It came on the heels of Batman Begins, which was phenomenal, and Iron Man took very much a similar approach to the character and style of the film. The structure is even very similar (first act of hero's origin, cutting back to his life before the origin), second act of hero developing superhero persona and equipment culminating in successful first big mission, third act where evil mentor steals from hero and leaves him for dead in his home where his sidekick saves him....

Not even a question, Iron Man without a doubt.

Still one of the best MCU films to date & without it's success the MCU wouldn't be what it is today.

BP for me.
better story. cooler characters.
more grand.
i connected to it more.

Black Panther. But Downeys performance is the best comicbook performance of any HERO in any comicbook movie.

Iron Man. I like Black Panther a lot, but a few aspects of it didn't quite work for me and the special effects get pretty cartoonish towards the end. Iron Man is damn near perfect as a superhero origin story.

Iron man is great but BP is a more impactful film for me so BP.

Iron Man. I like Black Panther a lot, but a few aspects of it didn't quite work for me and the special effects get pretty cartoonish towards the end. Iron Man is damn near perfect as a superhero origin story.

That's how I feel.

Black Panther is the better film by a considerable margin, but it's not an origin film.

Black Panther by far. Iron Man will always be a fantastic movie & I'll always remember the feeling of seeing it opening day and the fact that it's what started us on the path we're on but Black Panther blew it out of the water in every way imaginable, even if it isn't necessarily an origin movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"