Batman Begins vs Black Panther

Batman Begins and it's not even close. Black Panther is probably my least liked MCU film. It's somewhere there with Thor: Dark World.

How much of that is due to familiarity/fatigue, though? TDK has been out nearly 10 years, BP isn't even 3 months old yet.

Perhaps. But honestly I was just kinda underwhelmed. I didn't like the idea of him looking for a way out, clinging on to Rachel, hoping for a normal life. Plus on a more superficial level, I just can't get over how poor the stunt work and choreography is. That magnificent Hong Kong sequence is ruined by the Power Ranger esque choreography.

I think BP is better than TDK. Whenever I watch it now I end up skipping to the parts with Joker. Batman just isn't magnetic in that film for me. He's kinda lame really. Not Bale's fault though.

dNJhfue.gif

LezhnjE.gif

fmKojNf.gif

That was my favourite Batman moment of the whole film.

Nolan never did get the hang of a great hand to hand action sequence.

I think his choregraphy is indeed terrible. But he utilizes other factors so brilliantly.
Take the SWAT Fight TDK and Hotel Fight in Inception for example. Breaking it down, we can eassily see that the choreography is lame (Inception scene especially). But the way Nolan creates tension, moves camera, utilizes music and input story-telling is just fantastic.

Since it managed to have a higher metascore and % on RT than TDK. Since it has been considered a serious threat for a Best Picture nomination

TDK has a higher Avg score than BP, and its not likely to be nominated for Best Picture.

I disagree.

There is zero chance of Black Panther receiving an Oscar nomination in any of the major categories.

Yes, it’s a wonderful celebration of African culture and a long, long overdue movie in terms of its positive depictions of black people.

But it’s also a bog standard superhero origin story, with some fairly ropey cgi, a rather bland plot, and sits firmly in the category of run-of-the-mill comic book movie, narratively speaking.

I wouldn't say it's run of the mill. It's not even really an origin story. I found the plot quite interesting and different. And thematically it's one of the strongest cbms.

But yea I don't see it getting a Best Pic nomination.

There is zero chance of Black Panther receiving an Oscar nomination in any of the major categories.

Yes, it’s a wonderful celebration of African culture and a long, long overdue movie in terms of its positive depictions of black people.

But it’s also a bog standard superhero origin story, with some fairly ropey cgi, a rather bland plot, and sits firmly in the category of run-of-the-mill comic book movie, narratively speaking.

Mad Max is a pure standard action movie with no plot and deep meaning. Guess what happened.

I disagree.

Good for you.

Mad Max is a pure standard action movie with no plot and deep meaning. Guess what happened.

It won some technical oscars, and none of the major ones like Best Director or Best Picture?

And in any event, Mad Max isn't a superhero film, and action films have been nominated for Best Picture before.

Last edited:

I said in the major categories. Maybe read a post properly before you comment?

I did read your post properly. Mad Max was nominated for Best Picture and Director. That's not major categories ?

I wouldn't say it's run of the mill. It's not even really an origin story. I found the plot quite interesting and different. And thematically it's one of the strongest cbms.

But yea I don't see it getting a Best Pic nomination.

It’s incredibly run of the mill to me, when you boil it down to the story beats. It obeys basic three act rules. It features a rather standard MCU villain (how many times have we seen the old ‘bad guy is the direct opposite visually and character-wise as the hero’ shtick?) It has a series of adrenalin soaked superhero action sequences, tied together with a simple plot. It ends in a big fight. It’s a cgi heavy movie.

But the themes around an Afro-futuristic advanced society, and the attitude towards black people in western society, is fantastically well done.

But strip those elements away, and it’s pretty standard fare, when you get right down to it.

I did read your post properly. Mad Max was nominated for Best Picture and Director. That's not major categories ?

Wow. You’re right. I’d forgotten just how popular that film was with the academy. I wholeheartedly apologise, sir.

The Batman’s point that Fury Road isn’t a superhero movie still stands though.

The Shape of Water is a Sci-Fi, Romatic movie, yet it won Best Picture.
The Academy is getting out of the genre bias barrier, so I won't rule out the possibility of Black Panther getting nominated. In fact, a lot of Black Panther reference in Oscar 2018 led me to believe that it has a decent chance. 20 - 30% I'd say.

I strongly disagree.

As much as I enjoyed Black Panther, Batman Begins takes this one.

Black Panther and I LOVED Batman Begins, but Christian Bale as Batman yuck.

BB. It's nowhere near my favourite of the TDKT, but BP is an extremely average movie, so...

How is it an origin story if it's not an origin story? How does a villain fakeout and topical genocide lead to blandness? Like I get if that doesn't appeal to you, but there's nothing normal about BP, like... at all.

That CGI though, especially in the last fight scene... it's easily as bad as Nolan's fight choreography.

as bad as Nolan's fight choreography.

This claim is overrated IMO.

I think his choregraphy is indeed terrible. But he utilizes other factors so brilliantly.
Take the SWAT Fight TDK and Hotel Fight in Inception for example. Breaking it down, we can eassily see that the choreography is lame (Inception scene especially). But the way Nolan creates tension, moves camera, utilizes music and input story-telling is just fantastic.

Hence, it's not really a big problem.

This claim is overrated IMO.

Hence, it's not really a big problem.

Yup. Even with the dodgy choreography his movies are great. It's not really much of a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"