BLADE RUnner Work Print Synopsis

Fettastic

Civilian
Reaction score
br3.jpg

Blade Runner: The Workprint
In September 1989, film preservationist Michael Arick stumbled across several 70mm film canisters while at work searching through the TODD-AO film vaults in Hollywood. Labeled "Blade Runner," these cans would go on to be one of the most important finds in the history of the seminal sci-fi film.

As documented in great detail in Paul M. Sammon's terrific book "Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner," these canisters turned out to house 70mm blowups of a workprint used for two crucial test screenings of the film held in Denver, Colorado and Dallas, Texas on the evenings of March 5th and 6th, 1982.

With word about the find spreading among fans and excitement growing, Warner Brothers made a 35mm reduction dupe of the 70mm Workprint and, in September 1991, began a four-week engagement of the print at Los Angeles' NuArt Theater. This was followed by a two-week run at San Francisco's Castro Theater, where I luckily caught a screening.

What played at those venues was a rough workprint (WP) without color-correction, plenty of scratches and dirt, an uneven sound mix and a temp score on the last thirty minutes of the film. Yet despite all of this, the WP was a startling experience because it was so radically different from any other released versions of the film.

In 1992, a hastily prepared "Director's Cut" was officially released by Ridley Scott and Warner Brothers. Aside from the major deletions of the voice-over (VO) and the "happy" ending, as well as the addition of the long-fabled "Unicorn" sequence, this cut was the same as the 1982 R-rated release.

Sadly, the WP has been locked away and unseen for 15 years. All that remains of it publicly is a bootlegged camcorder copy taped in '91 by persons unknown. The footage is quite low quality, with heads bobbing into view and occasional talking and coughing. However, it is an important document of a version of Blade Runner that is unlikely to ever resurface. Enjoy. http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/altcuts/bladerunner.html

There are lots of screen caps along with descriptions of shots. It sure would be cool if this ended up on the SE they've been making for 5 years, but I doubt it. maybe someday we'll be able to see it.

I thought more people would have been interested in this. For the record I like the voice over and I hope they at least provide it as an option in whatever form this film eventually takes.

i heard that there was a 3 Disc DVD set coming out, including the theatrical cut, the director's cut, and the version Ridley Scott intended to be seen.

Something like that.

I hope so, BR is like one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever!!!!!!!

Here's the scoop from your friendly neighborhood movies205...

"The NY Times (13 DEC 2003) has named names on why the Blade Runner Special Edition 3-DVD set is on hold. It is their report, not mine.

They say, "The avidly awaited, definitive version of Ridley Scott's science-fiction classic, "Blade Runner," won't be out on DVD anytime soon for stranger reasons.
When "Blade Runner" was being shot in the early 1980's, Bud Yorkin, a veteran television comedy producer, and Jerry Perenchio, now the C.E.O. of Univision, were the film's bond-completion guarantors. When the film went over budget, by contract they assumed ownership of the film. Paul Sammon wrote in his book "Future Noir: The Making of `Blade Runner' " that they hated the film, had bitter disputes with Mr. Scott and tried to take it away from him altogether.
The studio release, in 1982, contained superfluous narration and a tacked-on rosy ending. Mr. Scott removed both when he was allowed to make a "director's cut" in 1992, but it was, by his own account, a rush job.
Three years ago, Mr. Scott announced that he was working on a three-disc box set, which would offer all the versions of the film, including a new and polished director's cut with previously unseen footage and scads of bonus features. Then, at the end of 2001, Warner Brothers, which was planning to distribute the discs, pulled the plug. It did so, according to a producer who worked on the project, because Mr. Perenchio gave no sign that he would let them be released.
Mr. Perenchio, speaking through an assistant, had no comment on the situation. (Warner Brothers still sells the 1992 "director's cut," though the picture quality is mediocre.)"

http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

But there is hope

"31st January 2006

The Digital Bits has reported on an official Warner's press conference:

"And finally, here's a bit of news that's going to get a lot of you excited (and I made a point to specifically ask about this title, believe me)... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982) is currently on track for release as a multi-disc special edition in time for its 25th anniversary in 2007. The release is far from certain (as usual, there's a lot more that I can't post about this title yet - think of the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships"), but Warner says that work is proceeding, most of the key players are involved and things are "looking good" for release next year. We'll see."

Haven't heard anything since though... It should be noted that when this set originally was in production it was being over-seen by the DVD Producer who brought us teh Alien Quadrilogy, Charlie de Lauzirika

I'm definitely interested in revisiting this film in Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"