Blair Witch

Enjoyed it.

It was an experience in the cinema ... something a bit different, and I'm always happy to see that.

It has little to offer in repeat viewings but it is by no means a bad film.

Enjoyed it.

It was an experience in the cinema ... something a bit different, and I'm always happy to see that.

It has little to offer in repeat viewings but it is by no means a bad film.

Indeed I think it did what it set out to do at the time.

It would have been much better if at least gave you a glimpse of the scary witch monster. Hell, the 2nd one totally ditched the whole "it could be real" aspect, and still no scary witch.

That's the point though. Anything they could show us would be nowhere near as frightening as what you don't see, or what your imagination comes up with.

That's the point though. Anything they could show us would be nowhere near as frightening as what you don't see, or what your imagination comes up with.

Frack yeah that takes the real biscuit.

Yeah, I think it works much better because it doesn't show the Witch. You don't really know what happened. I think the movie would've failed if in the end some person in fright make-up or a CGI monster killed them on camera.

Great films are supposed to be satisfying by allowing us to use our imaginations but having a payoff as well. Jaws, Alien, heck even Haloween 78' are all films that build tension by giving us glimpses of the monster while ultimately satisfying us with the creature itself.

When there is no payoff, it's usually a result of amateur filmmakers having nothing but an idea. The film did well at the B.O. purely from hype. No payoff equals a poor effort in my book. Aside from many on this board, the majority of people were dissatisfied because there was no payoff, even if overall they enjoyed the film.

Great films are supposed to be satisfying by allowing us to use our imaginations but having a payoff as well. Jaws, Alien, heck even Haloween 78' are all films that build tension by giving us glimpses of the monster while ultimately satisfying us with the creature itself.

When there is no payoff, it's usually a result of amateur filmmakers having nothing but an idea. The film did well at the B.O. purely from hype. No payoff equals a poor effort in my book. Aside from many on this board, the majority of people were dissatisfied because there was no payoff, even if overall they enjoyed the film.

I get the feeling you don't like it much ......

Payoffs are nice ... rewarding viewers with something amazing is cool but not always needed.

At no point during Blair Witch did I think they would show some spooky looking old woman .... it just wasn't that kind of film.

The terror mainly came from the fact that no matter what they did it became impossible to leave the area they were in, almost as if the forest itself was working against them.

And here's the proof:

blairw1.jpg

I get the feeling you don't like it much ......

Payoffs are nice ... rewarding viewers with something amazing is cool but not always needed.

At no point during Blair Witch did I think they would show some spooky looking old woman .... it just wasn't that kind of film.

No I didn't. I didn't admire the effort, or the product. I am dumbfounded to this day by the film's success. I simply think it's a bad film regardless of the appearance of a creature or not. The main criticism I remember hearing was the lack of a payoff. It looked and felt like a bunch of bad actors being followed around by a cheap camcorder.

I would agree that some people who went to see this would be left with a bitter taste in their mouths but not all films need a pay off and as much as I would like 100% total facts about what happened in the house at the end part of me will be dissatisfied. But still room to imagine is a good thing for people....they should let themselves open up and think of their own answers for the gaps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"