Comics BND Sales are dropping Celebration fun time thread

Well, I've been TRYING to go back and read the BND stories, and I have to say, it's tough! Not from a continuity standpoint(I accepted the continuity was ****ed right from the get-go), but from a quality standpoint. I'm two arcs in, and I don't see how anyone kept reading. I've got the first 6-8 arcs in HC form(all for only 25 bucks!), and the first 2 storyarcs are painful.

The Spider-Mugger/Mr. negative arc was crap. McNiven's artwork was all that I could find joy in with this arc. The next, which introduced Jackpot(vomits in mouth) and Menace, was even worse, as the art was really REALLY bad. I suppose it's just not artwork for which I have a taste. I don't know.

I'm anxious to read the later arcs, as I've heard they were enjoyable, but I don't see how anyone made it past the first 6 issues! Of course, the Bachalo-drawn story may change my mind. Who knows?

I'm looking forward to issue 600, and I'm trying to get caught up on where everything stands, but I honestly hope that it picks up. That Menace arc was HORRIBLE. "Hey, I'm Menace, and I ahve no experience. I just whooped you in 5 seconds. Now I'm cool." Nope, doesn't work that way.

Also, yeah, I see why everyone was complaining about peter not having webs. That is getting old fast.

Well, I've been TRYING to go back and read the BND stories, and I have to say, it's tough! Not from a continuity standpoint(I accepted the continuity was ****ed right from the get-go), but from a quality standpoint. I'm two arcs in, and I don't see how anyone kept reading. I've got the first 6-8 arcs in HC form(all for only 25 bucks!), and the first 2 storyarcs are painful.

The Spider-Mugger/Mr. negative arc was crap. McNiven's artwork was all that I could find joy in with this arc. The next, which introduced Jackpot(vomits in mouth) and Menace, was even worse, as the art was really REALLY bad. I suppose it's just not artwork for which I have a taste. I don't know.

I'm anxious to read the later arcs, as I've heard they were enjoyable, but I don't see how anyone made it past the first 6 issues! Of course, the Bachalo-drawn story may change my mind. Who knows?

I'm looking forward to issue 600, and I'm trying to get caught up on where everything stands, but I honestly hope that it picks up. That Menace arc was HORRIBLE. "Hey, I'm Menace, and I ahve no experience. I just whooped you in 5 seconds. Now I'm cool." Nope, doesn't work that way.

Also, yeah, I see why everyone was complaining about peter not having webs. That is getting old fast.

........I skipped ALOT of Brand new day and was able to keep up just fine.
So it only gets better from there bruddah! :hehe:

To be perfectly honest? Your not going to enjoy anything until it gets to ASM 578. But that's because they don't rely on Peter's "social" life, or magic to tell the stories. He also seems more experianced. Like someone who's had Spider powers for at least 10 years should be.

The fact that they keep pushing the brand new day cast in my face really hurt the story in my opinion. I honestly think someone at Marvel is catching that now though because they are being used more reasonably.

New ways to die is really up for debate.

The "magical mask" as I'm sure you've heard about really hurt New ways to die for me. Over all it felt like Classic "Roger Stern/JRJR" Spider-man to me.
But the magical mask makes things feel a bit disjointed.

I love JRJR but the art in it wasn't really good either.

I think they fixed the art in the trades but Norman's hair looked like this every once in a while.

The art suffers alot (sometimes 2 artists in one book) but that's because of the 3x a month thing.
There's also a scene in NWTD that makes Peter look like a total idiot. He gets fired from the bugle and asks Harry for advice. Harry has to tell him that photographers can get jobs at other newspapers too. :whatever:

EDIT: Dexter Bennett is the most horrible Spidey character ever written. Period.
and yes I've read stories with Typeface.
That is all.

Last edited:

To be perfectly honest? Your not going to enjoy anything until it gets to ASM 578. But that's because they don't rely on Peter's "social" life, or magic to tell the stories. He also seems more experianced. Like someone who's had Spider powers for at least 10 years should be.

The fact that they keep pushing the brand new day cast in my face really hurt the story in my opinion. I honestly think someone at Marvel is catching that now though because they are being used more reasonably.

The "magical mask" as I'm sure you've heard about really hurt New ways to die for me. Over all it felt like Classic "Roger Stern/JRJR" Spider-man to me.

I think they fixed the art in the trades but Norman's hair looked like this every once in a while.

The art suffers alot (sometimes 2 artists in one book) but that's because of the 3x a month thing.
There's also a scene in NWTD that makes Peter look like a total idiot. He gets fired from the bugle and asks Harry for advice. Harry has to tell him that photographers can get jobs at other newspapers too. :whatever:

EDIT: Dexter Bennett is the most horrible Spidey character ever written. Period.
That is all.

Are you trying to make him dislike the stories before he even reads them?

Well.... that's not cool... :cmad:

I can appreciate and respect anyone who has read the books and decided they're crap. And I will encourage anyone to try something...

But... man, that's really not cool...

:csad:

Well.... that's not cool... :cmad:

I can appreciate and respect anyone who has read the books and decided they're crap. And I will encourage anyone to try something...

But... man, that's really not cool...

:csad:

EDIT:
Scratch that.

I was actually being perfectly honest.

I'm not trying to make anyone dislike anything.
Those are MAJOR OBVIOUS FLAWS.

and if you continue to read the post you'll note that I am recommended more recent arcs, that it has been getting better cast wise and Spidey experiance wise.

Last edited:
Picked up this tidbit in the Marvel Comics Forum, but apparantly, in New Avengers #54, there's a situation where Hellstrom, the Son of Satan, is ranting about the balance of good and evil to Brother Voodoo and kinda ranting about the something evil coming soon... then the convo goes...

Spidey: You should right greeting cards, really.
Hellstrom: And you better be ready to pay for all your sins.

:wow: :wow: :wow:

Now... this could be nothing, because it's a Bendis book... but both books (ASM & NA) are under Brevvort's wings, so this could be some weird foreshadowing.

I'd like to think it's the latter... Marvel used to be good with this kind of stuff...

Discuss...

:yay:

Yeah, it was an interesting pick up by that poster. I remember reading it but not thinking anything of it other than it was Bendis poking fun at One More Day. But thinking a little more deeply that it was the Son of Satan telling him that it could mean something.

Or it may not.

However, I am hoping that it is a foreshadowing of things to come. We shall see in the coming year with # 600 today and the whole reemergence of the Clone Saga stuff. :up:

Spider-Man is so damn awesome I'm having a blast! Feels like when I was reading back in the early to mid-90's. LOVE IT!! :spidey:

That is all.

Yeah, well, Dexter Bennet has been an annoying cuss in the Menace arc, and man, that was a crappy, and totally predictable ending. I was so glad to hear Jackpot is dead. If she were real, I'd go to her grave and dance. She and Dexter Bennett could be chucked into the same shallow grave, and that would be fine with me. They HOENSTLY sucked the LIFE out of that entire trade.

Tonight I start up on volume 2 after I finish coloring some pages of my own comic. Volume one will probably get signed at Baltimore, and then I'll put it on ebay or something. I'm sure I won't miss it.

That being said, I've read some BND since this. The two parter with the FF was awesome. I had to pick that one up for the Torch/Spidey resolution. Worth it. I have the Obama issue with the Romita cover...I refuse to pay for a cover that has an overhyped politician who spends taxpayer dollars faster than even the last Pres did...and I'll buy 600. I'm mainly hunting the John Romita Sr cover....all other covers are inferior!!!

I will probably check out American Son when if I can find a trade/HC of it when it comes out. I can wait until then. One good thing about not liking the change in continuity is that you are in no rush to read any of it, even if you may enjoy it.:cwink:

Tmob- I'm not THAT easily convinced to hate something, man! I'm going to read it, and, honestly, even if it's phenomenol, I'm not adding ASM back to my pull list. It's 3-4 dollars 3 times a month. I can't afford to pay that much for ANY BOOK....although, if it were Invincible or The Walking Dead, I would cry tears of joy to get that many issues a month...and I would find the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"