Comics BND Sales are dropping Celebration fun time thread

Actually, the marriage divided fans quite a bit as well. I had less of a problem with the clone saga, which at least nodded to continuity and the character, than I did with the marriage, which I thought--not wholly unlike the Mephisto nonsense--went to the heart of the character.

What happens in ASM 600? I don't read it anymore.

ASM #600, out next Wednesday, is a BIG 104 page issue with NO reprints, including a 60+ page story with JrJr. art & featuring Spidey & Doc Ock fight. :up:

Just a one issue story... No continuation... (other than the regular sub-plots, I would imagine).

It's been quoted that this story will return Doc Ock as one of Marvel's biggest bad asses... like he deservedly needs to be.

Sounds like fun...

Hope you give it a try...

:yay:

AWW! was that sarcasm?
Well be very careful about dropping the title than, we don't want you to keel over "MR. 30 years of ASM". :whatever:.

EDIT: You know what, I'm a very nice poster. I don't even get mad easily. But quite frankly, that comment you made pissed me off.
you act like in the past 30 years Spidey has sold his soul to the devil and divided fans every year.
The only story to do this before was the clone saga.

Every other controversial story ever told we were right there with fans like you.

Gwen screws Norman. We were there
Peter isn't Peter. We were there
Mary Jane blown up. We were there
Peters origin revamped. We were there.

Every freakin time, and just because some people cannot jump aboard Brand new day as easily, you act like we get mad and quit so easily. What a joke that is.

You're taking what he said too personal...

I'm in the same boat... I've been reading Spidey for 35+ years as well, and what I got from him was the simple fact that we've seen it all, the good, the bad & the ugly, and we're still reading... so your initial comment that "I'm telling you guys, the way Marvel handles Spidey. Eventually you will end up pissed off just like the rest of us." is unlikely to happen, because in SPITE of the fact that we've seen many things that have pissed us off, we're still reading... doesn't make us any more of a fan than anybody who's dropped the book in anger. It's just a comment based on the fact that these are stories... sometimes we like'em... sometimes we don't... but we just keep reading them.

'Nuff said.

You're taking what he said too personal...

I'm in the same boat... I've been reading Spidey for 35+ years as well, and what I got from him was the simple fact that we've seen it all, the good, the bad & the ugly, and we're still reading... so your initial comment that "I'm telling you guys, the way Marvel handles Spidey. Eventually you will end up pissed off just like the rest of us." is unlikely to happen, because in SPITE of the fact that we've seen many things that have pissed us off, we're still reading... doesn't make us any more of a fan than anybody who's dropped the book in anger. It's just a comment based on the fact that these are stories... sometimes we like'em... sometimes we don't... but we just keep reading them.

'Nuff said.

I'm not at all. My whole point was, since some of us have now dropped the book, the BND crew will eventually be divided like the pre-OMD crew was.

Marvel plays controversy games.
That's what I was getting at. You guys are lucky in the 35+ years you have gotten to witness some of the BEST of Spidey while it was out. There were no HUGE retcons that altered the last 20 years. Peter never compromised his character. NEVER and that's what I loved about him.

This isn't the first time he's made one of those comments about my posts. I remember when I first came back to the SHH! I actually tried to hold a nice conversation with him

He ignored it.
That doesn't mean much to me. Because people become busy and he may not seen it all together.

But the fact that he has time to make smart remarks towards my other posts is what bothers me. He's the only one that does it. Without even being funny either.

I've said before I love a good debate. But I absolutely can't stand it when someone tries to attack my intelligence.

Last edited:
Style, I really don't know what I said that is that so controversial to you. Honestly, look over the two posts that I made in this whole matter. They are pretty benign. Then look at your reaction (which remember, I was replying to DAC in the first place). It looks more like you have an axe to grind with me. If that's the case, why don't you just PM me. I'm too old to have enemies over trivial things. I honestly don't know what the beef is, but if I'm irking you that much, just Ignore me. (I'm not pretending that I don't get into arguments with people. Or that I don't become insulting from time to time. But I like to think that when I'm wrong I apologize, or if I can't agree with someone, I agree to move on.)

Style, I really don't know what I said that is that so controversial to you. Honestly, look over the two posts that I made in this whole matter. They are pretty benign. Then look at your reaction (which remember, I was replying to DAC in the first place). It looks more like you have an axe to grind with me. If that's the case, why don't you just PM me. I'm too old to have enemies over trivial things. I honestly don't know what the beef is, but if I'm irking you that much, just Ignore me. (I'm not pretending that I don't get into arguments with people. Or that I don't become insulting from time to time. But I like to think that when I'm wrong I apologize, or if I can't agree with someone, I agree to move on.)

Sometimes I feel singled out by you, Like you ignore the fact that while I may disagree with the new direction. I'm one of the few posters that disagree and still buy because I don't generally think it's all that bad.
I don't like anything from 545 to about 578 mind you. (Which I am now completely caught up on) But I'm enjoying what's going on now.

I know sometimes I can be a bit critical, but Spider-man is my favorite fictional character. I'm not trying to find reasons to hate the book. I really want to enjoy it, because really why should I be enjoying Invincible or Daredevil more?

I did realize your response was to Dacman in the first place. That post was meant for more than just you. I wasn't taking it personal at all. I just had something to say about it. My reaction had nothing to do with that. The instances I'm referring to date further back.

I don't like making dirty or rude comments so I apologize for what I said earlier. I'm just a critical person sometimes. I'm very nice but if I feel mistreated I don't take beatings I stand up for myself.

Apology accepted. :yay:

Sometimes I feel singled out by you, Like you ignore the fact that while I may disagree with the new direction. I'm one of the few posters that disagree and still buy because I don't generally think it's all that bad.

I get that, which is why I was surprised by your reaction.

And as far as singling you out, believe me, I'm not. I think the internet just makes it feel that way, especially when your viewpoints differ. There's plenty of people here that I disagree with that I think I can disagree with civilly (Doc Destruction, moraldestruction, farmernudie) and there are some that, no matter how polite you try to be, all they want to do is argue, even over stupid things. Glad to see that you're the former and not the latter.

Last edited:

And as far as singling you out, believe me, I'm not. I think the internet just makes it feel that way, especially when your viewpoints differ. There's plenty of people here that I disagree with that I think I can disagree with civilly (Doc Destruction, moraldestruction, farmernudie) and there are some that, no matter how polite you try to be, all they want to do is argue, even over stupid things. Glad to see that you're the former and not the latter.

moraldeficiency....my bad

True and that's how it should be. At the end of the day all of this is fiction and doesn't really matter. We could choose to buy or not. No reason to attack each other. None of us are writers or for that matter in charge of Spidey.

Your right about that, I've had some posters mistake what I'm saying and turn it into a huge argument before being completely sure. The most recent being "Peter's Spider-sense". It wasn't a huge deal to me. I just pointed out that hey he's done it before. :o

Imdaly and I go in circles pretty often. But that's different. I like debating with him because it's amazing how drastically different our opinions are. lol
He reminds me alot of one of my best friends.

Group Hug!!!! :yay:

I'm lonely... :o

Careful,
Someone's going to get "fan fic" ideas. :cwink:
The weirdest one I've seen was Carnage (symbiote) going down Tony Stark's throat. It was a shower scene.

Google is NOT safe anymore. :csad:

Last edited:
ok..........i JUST got home from work and catching up on reading these boards and wanted to contribute to the group hug!

:cwink:

ASM #600, out next Wednesday, is a BIG 104 page issue with NO reprints, including a 60+ page story with JrJr. art & featuring Spidey & Doc Ock fight. :up:

Just a one issue story... No continuation... (other than the regular sub-plots, I would imagine).

It's been quoted that this story will return Doc Ock as one of Marvel's biggest bad asses... like he deservedly needs to be.

Sounds like fun...

Hope you give it a try...

I think I will. Thanks.

AWW! was that sarcasm?
Well be very careful about dropping the title than, we don't want you to keel over "MR. 30 years of ASM". :whatever:.

EDIT: You know what, I'm a very nice poster. I don't even get mad easily. But quite frankly, that comment you made pissed me off.
you act like in the past 30 years Spidey has sold his soul to the devil and divided fans every year.
The only story to do this before was the clone saga.

Every other controversial story ever told we were right there with fans like you.

Gwen screws Norman. We were there
Peter isn't Peter. We were there
Mary Jane blown up. We were there
Peters origin revamped. We were there.

Every freakin time, and just because some people cannot jump aboard Brand new day as easily, you act like we get mad and quit so easily. What a joke that is.

Didn't you hear? He's a real fan. As long as the name "Spider-Man" is on it he'll buy it no matter how bad it is. What I think really pisses you off about comment is that it insinuates that as long as the Spider-Man story doesn't kill you then you should shut up and enjoy it. If you don't you're not a "real" fan. Plus some how he knows better because he's been reading it longer than most of us have been alive. It makes me wonder what it would take to actually piss off a fan like that. Peter selling his soul to the devil, turning his back on his marriage didn't, would Spider-Man killing someone do it? How about Peter being gay? How about Spider-Man finding out it wasn't really a spider that bit him but a tick that he thought was a spider. So he's actually Tick-Man and the title of the comic changes to reflect that. What would it take to piss this guy off?

Didn't you hear? He's a real fan. As long as the name "Spider-Man" is on it he'll buy it no matter how bad it is. What I think really pisses you off about comment is that it insinuates that as long as the Spider-Man story doesn't kill you then you should shut up and enjoy it. If you don't you're not a "real" fan. Plus some how he knows better because he's been reading it longer than most of us have been alive. It makes me wonder what it would take to actually piss off a fan like that. Peter selling his soul to the devil, turning his back on his marriage didn't, would Spider-Man killing someone do it? How about Peter being gay? How about Spider-Man finding out it wasn't really a spider that bit him but a tick that he thought was a spider. So he's actually Tick-Man and the title of the comic changes to reflect that. What would it take to piss this guy off?

Yeah, but that argument is old. He apologized for it, so there's really no need to continue it. I don't really get into the "real" fan kind of arguments, because any of us even spending some of our time here when we could be out scoring numbers or spending time with family is a real fan. :cwink:

If that kind of debate were plausible than Mr. Donald Thomas would kick the crap out of us all.

I've never said this before, but I hand "Brand new day" Spidey titles to my nephew so he can read em. He loves it. I skip around all the One more day stuff and hand him essentials.
So he can enjoy the character as I did without all the controversy.
He still asks questions like "where's mary jane at?" and I just tell him that she and Peter broke up.

I don't tell him my opinions completely. I want him to enjoy the title as I did when I was his age. Sucks that I can't give him any venom stuff because they were actually married than. (he LOVES the character.)

Alot of people used to ask me how am I so smart (I had high school reading level in middle school and I can still write a perfectly written 5 page essay in an hour. When I was in college I maintained a 4.000 G.P.A.. When I talk on here I'm REALLY lazy with grammer. it really doesn't reflect it, but i still edit my posts often. lol) and it wasn't because I was reading titles like "to kill a mockingbird". (Which I really love). But it's because of comics.

Whenever a cool character like Spidey said words like "boisterous" which are often neglected to most americans these days. I would look in my dictionary to see what it means. I also developed great context clues from them as well. So my whole plan for my nephew is to reel him in with current issues and give him some premarriage spidey stuff to read like the essentials that have bigger words in them. :)

I like the fact that comics now have more realistic dialogue. But I also miss the fact that big words are now almost non existent.

Last edited:
It always makes me scratch my head when people actually want me to be mad about this stuff. I don't mean to go all "Rodney King", but seriously, isn't there enough **** in the world to be upset about? Hey, if I stop liking it, I stop buying. I did for about a year once. Am I supposed to supply some kind of "anger cred" now?

It always makes me scratch my head when people actually want me to be mad about this stuff. I don't mean to go all "Rodney King", but seriously, isn't there enough **** in the world to be upset about? Hey, if I stop liking it, I stop buying. I did for about a year once. Am I supposed to supply some kind of "anger cred" now?

EDIT:
Best way I could explain it without sounding like a broken record is...
It feels like a bait and switch.

Like they really are serving Ultimate Spider-man: All grown up, under the title Amazing Spider-man. I don't know how to explain it any other way without repeating anything else anyone has said.

People are mad because they WANT to buy the book. But they feel forced off.

Last edited:
You're missing my point, though, Style. I understand other people being upset and saying that they're going to boycott, etc. I even understand the greivances, even if I don't agree with them. What I don't understand is this effort to get someone else to dislike something that they don't like. A lot of people like Transmetropolitan, The Boys, and other titles that I don't particularly care for. Just not my cup of tea. And if I were in a conversation about it, I would argue that I think that a lot of it is just violence for the sake of being violent, and that's not enough for me. I might even say that so and so is a one trick pony (I have said this about Bendis, Millar). But if someone enjoys the book (I remember Elijya was a big Transmetropolitan fan), hey, rock your socks off. It ain't for me, but I'm glad you like it.

Now, all that said, I really do understand why I get that comment from time to time. Because people on the other side of the fence think that my( and others) buying it prevents Marvel from changing back to the version that they like. Well, all I can say is I like it the way that it is. I like, I buy.

I can see from you sig that you're a Ben Reilly fan. So was I. In fact, I was one of the few that liked the switch out with Peter. And when they went back on it, in a very ham-handed way, and killed Ben, I didn't like it. And over the years, I've expressed my enjoyment of that storyline. Well, maybe idea, not story. Because the story did get munged up. But I never went around telling people that they were towing the company line for supporting the newly returned Peter.

Reply to EDIT: I was really replying to your initial post, but it looks like it all still applies.

EDIT:

Like they really are serving Ultimate Spider-man: All grown up, under the title Amazing Spider-man. I don't know how to explain it any other way without repeating anything else anyone has said.

It's an interesting way to put it. TMOB hates Ultimate. You should get him to weigh in on it. (I like it for what it is/was. But I wouldn't exactly cry myself to sleep if they permanently cancelled it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"