Bought/Thought 1/11/12 - The Crackers Edition

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
Why the Crackers Edition? Why, because that's what my van smells like now after my youngest daughter massively barfed them up on the way to the comic shop. Yeah, I was not excited about that. Fortunately, the comics themselves made up for it because it was a pretty dog on good week.

Magneto: Not A Hero #3 - A part of me wants to cringe because of Joseph predictably coming back as a villain and I hate when they do that to long gone likable characters. However, Young's done a decent job at making it make sense so that I'm not as hurt by it. Not only that, the issue is pretty good too. Magneto takes out the screwed up cloned versions of his original Brotherhood and Astra and then has her teleport them back to Utopia where they can fix her up. Not too much interesting happens after that, though we're hinted that something more is going on here than Astra's using Joseph for revenge against Magneto.

Decent mini. Not amazing but I'm not disappointed that I bought it.

X-Factor #230 - The team is at odds following Madrox's "death" and the revelation that Guido has no soul thanks to Layla. Wolverine comes to visit and brings Havoc & Polaris with him, who will now take the reigns of the fractured team. Decent enough. It's pretty much an "inbetween" issue but it works well. Longshot and Shatterstar are pretty good comedic gold, particularly Longshot, and even Pip gets in a few good lines.

All in all, good comic. Glad I came back for it again.

Wolverine & the X-Men #4 - And the effects of Uncanny X-Force come to play in this book. Genesis (aka... Ethan, aka... Kid Apocalypse) joins the school and the others, save Broo and Idie, seem to be cautious about him. Deathlok shows up for a guest lecture that was entertaining and also to provide eerie foreshadowing for the school and for Genesis specifically. And we have Angel, now Warrenless and in need of teaching, becoming a student.

It was all in all a good book. Though it was only a potential future shot I LOVED the small 2-page plot of Genesis' future and his killing Krakoa. That was just really well done in my opinion. I thought the scene with Iceman and Wolverine was really well done and showed how Wolverine's X-Force deal definately still clashes with those who are helping him at this school.

Oh, and Kitty's pregnant. We don't know how but it's all of a sudden and she's fairly far along within a day. Not sure what that's about but if Bobby's spit impregnates now that's just all kinds of messed up.

Currently tied for the best X-Book on the stands, potentially the best book on the stands, with Uncanny X-Force. It's about time the X-Men started uping their game.

X-Men Legacy 260.1 - Gage's first issue on the title and I was pleased with it. In a training session, Rogue encourages Rockslide to pull from rock outside of himself and he ultimately, accidentally, broke the N'Gari portal on the grounds (very old plot there boys and girls). The grounds are then overrun by the N'Gari demons and Rogue is determined to allow the kids to have a normal life... and so she and other X-Men must stop the demons without the kids' knowledge.

I thought Gage went about this in a very clever way. Beast began teaching a class on the N'Gari while having his words telepathically linked to the other X-Men. He was basically giving them the intel they needed in desguise. Rogue took charge and secretly gained powers of the students to take on the N'Gari and her and the X-Men took them out without interupted the school day.

It was a good plot and I'm really starting to like Rogue in a leadership position. She's finally moving beyond the lovesick emmo girl and is really starting to stand out for me. I like that. What I didn't like so much was Gambit and Frenzy starting a relationship. I like the idea of Gambit moving on but the retcon of them being a past couple during the 90's X-Men run annoys me (unless they really did have a fling back then and I'm not remembering it). Oh well, they could be a neat couple depending on how it goes.

So yeah, Gage off to a good start. I'm looking forward to next issue with Exodus. He's always been one of my favorite villains. I'm curious what Gage does with him.

New Avengers #20 - Man, this issue was really good. The fight between the New Avengers and new Dark Avengers was really good. Skaar knocks the everloving crap out of Wolverine and then Iron Fist knocks the everloving crap out of Skaar. Norman start showing his adaptoid powers that's been spoiled by covers. Everyone else has just a really good brawl and the team realizes that Victoria sent them to the wrong location to help Norman. Little they can do about that just yet though because Ragnorak shows up in the end.

Man, this was just a really enjoyable issue and it's times like this that's going to make me miss Bendis on this book (though not necessarilly on Avengers proper). I'm worried what the book will become when he leaves because after all his time of shaking up the status quo I think he's finally got something here that works. I think this is the perfect team for him and I'd love to see it continue on. I just dont' think it will, not unchanged anyhow.

Carnage U.S.A. #2 - Man, this was ALSO a good issue. I'm loving seeing Carnage as a major threat. Twist it just a bit and this could have been a really good New Avengers arc. It's creepy and fun and just all kinds of awesome!

I was a little disappointed to see that Hybrid is no longer Hybrid but separated again and used differently, but the idea of how they are used is pretty cool. I've not read Carnage, or Venom vs. Carnage, whichever introduced Scorn, so I don't know anything about her but she seems neat enough. I was really looking forward to Hybrid though since he's not been seen in a decade. Oh well. At least, if I'm not mistaken, Venom comes into play eventually. I look forward to that.

This is definately reminding me why I liked the character and I just have to go get the Carnage mini too. Great stuff Zeb Wells!

Batwoman #5 - The ending of the first arc, Hydrology, and it was pretty good. Batwoman defeats the creepy ghost villainous and is confronted by Director Bones. He offers her a place with the Department of Extranormal Operations (DEO) and she is forced to accept. This then hints toward a future confrontation with Batman Inc... which could be interesting.

Now, I'm rusty on this but isn't this supposed to be the character that was revealed to be Talia in Batman Inc. Leviathan Strikes? If not then is there is just too many skull-headed villains in Batman's rogue gallory (those two plus Black Mask and Lord Death Man).

The issues was good though and I liked the art between Williams' panels better. I was debating on dropping this book to save money but I think I'll stick with it. It's enjoyable enough.

Batman & Robin #5 - Damian leaves Bruce and joins his enemy, Ducard. We get a flashback for Ducard and his father and then we end it with Damian being forced to prove he is willing to fight Ducard's way. It was ultimately a good issue and I like where the book is going. It's not the best of the Batman books but it's definately still enjoyable. I like Damian and his dark streak and that coming to a head here has my interest. I miss the Dick & Damian chemistry but this was still decent enough. I almost wish that Damian followed Dick into the Nightwing book though. Oh well.

Green Lantern #5 - While I enjoyed this issue I think my enjoyment of the book is overall down. I loved it through Blackest Night but then it just sorta dropped for me from that point on and I just read it to read it now. I've already dropped the other Lantern titles but I like this one enough to keep going for now. I'm curious about what the Guardians have going on and of what will become of the Sinestro plot... but I don't see myself buying this title longterm anymore. There was a time when it was one of my definates for as far as I could see, now it's one of my least looked forward to books. I always enjoy it as I read it, and this issue was no exception, but my love of the book is just overall down.

Hopefully Johns can pick it back up again. We'll see.

I do like how Hal's desire for his ring back is beginning to bring out the Avarice in him, as signified by his orange eyes. He then went after Carol and got her back as well. The orange eyes in that scene might be hinting that something is happening with him and I'm curious what.

Best & Worst of the Week

Best: New Avengers #20 - This was nearly a 4-way split between this, X-Men Legacy, W&tXM, and Carnage USA... but the image of Iron Fist just knocking the everloving snot out of Skaar was too awesome to forget. The issue was balls to the wall action and I feel it was well done. The cliffhanger ending left me very eager for the next issue. Since the relaunch, this has been the best book Bendis has ever written in my opinion. I hate seeing him leave it. He can leave everything else for all I care but I'll miss him on this title.

Worst: Magneto: Not A Hero #3 - There wasn't a bad issue in the bunch today but this one was the weakest in my opinion. It feels about a decade too late in coming, and while I enjoy it, this isn't the Joseph that I miss. If he has a turn about and is redeemed somehow that'd be great but I'm not expecting it. We'll see in the conclusion next month though.

Great reviews JH, I always enjoy reading them. I'll post mine later, and I'm right there with you on GL, I dropped all the other GL books and this one is close to the chopping block.

Great reviews JH, I always enjoy reading them. I'll post mine later, and I'm right there with you on GL, I dropped all the other GL books and this one is close to the chopping block.

Thanks! And yeah, the build between Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night was just amazing but after that it's just sorta lulled. There are good moments and good characters but overall it's paling in comparison to what's come before. I think this could be one of those times when a writer stays beyond his peak. Fortunately Johns' run is still good, just not quite as good as it was before.

I have a limited amount of space for comics and I'm thinking about selling everything post-Blackest Night and just calling my GL collections done from Rebirth to Blackest Night. I figure I'll stick with this title likely for another arc or two and decide then if it's worth continuing on.

Jewish Hobbit did you not pick up Uncanny X-Men?

It was pretty good had the 90s villains the Phalanx.

Yup, that was last week and I loved it :up: Best issue Gillen's written so far.

It was very good, more similar to what he's done on JiM. He should try and duplicate it on UXM more often.

I don't have money to read JiM, though I'm glad to hear so many people liking it. If that's the quality of that book then I hope he can make the transition. The Sinister arc was just pretty dog-on bad. His stuff post-Fraction before the relaunch was alright but nothing mind blowing. I liked the Breakworlders arc. The Phalanx oneshot was loads better than any of that though.

I think you're missing an extra "1" in your thread title... :o

JH -After reading your first post, is Bendis leaving Avengers soon or are just talking eventually?

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #4 - Luther meets the villain of the book for the first time this issue and we learn his name (The Librarian) as well a little background on where Luther's powers come from.

From what I've read on various boards, the creators have 3 minis in mind for this character and I'm looking forward to more once this one concludes (2 issues left).

Wolverine & the X-Men #4 - I haven't enjoyed a mutant book this much in years. If the artist who did this issue became the regular guy, that would be great. Bacholo is the one thing I don't like about the book.

What are you guys talking about? Says "1/11/12." :huh:

Anyway, did anyone else think Nick Fury might be Marcus Johnson's dad after this week's Battle Scars? I could see the higher-ups at Marvel turning him into Marcus Fury and then have him lose an eye, shave his head, and take over SHIELD, thus aligning the comics with the movies' black Fury schtick just in time for Avengers. It's crass, yes... which is the main reason I suspect it may just be the Marvel bigwigs' plan. ;)

M got trolled :woot:
That was f***ing hilarious. :D

Yeah, the son of Nick rumor has been floating around for a little while now.

I figured. It was the line about his dad not being able to die that made me think of Fury, though. Not just because of the Infinity Formula, either. Dude's faked his death a bunch of times.

Nick Fury's bastard son eh? Glad I'm not buying that nonsense. Screw this movie tie-in crap between this, Hawkeye's crap costume and the 3rd Bendis Avengers book. It makes me hate a movie I've been waiting my whole life to see.

I think you're missing an extra "1" in your thread title... :o

Haven't you learned by now that I miss at least one key in every thread title I type? I actually have that problem a lot. I type too quickly. It makes editing my books very frustrating.

Spider-Jay420 said:
JH -After reading your first post, is Bendis leaving Avengers soon or are just talking eventually?

He leaves after Avengers vs. X-Men. On the Avengers title his last issue should be issue 30. On New Avengers and Avengers Assembled it'll likely be that same month or one or two later to have a swansong issue (likely in New Avengers).

I honestly don't mind him leaving Avengers, as he hasn't been very good on that book, but I think he has a good thing going on New Avengers. I'll miss him there and hope the next guy does the team justice and doesn't make a ton of changes.

Nick Fury's bastard son eh? Glad I'm not buying that nonsense. Screw this movie tie-in crap between this, Hawkeye's crap costume and the 3rd Bendis Avengers book. It makes me hate a movie I've been waiting my whole life to see.
Well, in fairness, it's just a theory. He could be the bastard son of Forbush Man, for all we know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"