Bought Thought 12-19-12 End of The World Edition

May as well answer both here, since the reply is the same anyway.

I've essentially read most of this volume of SECRET AVENGERS. I came aboard when Ed Brubaker launched it, and was quickly underwhelmed. Against my better judgement I stayed for Nick Spencer's "run" of 4 issues and regretted it. I left for Warren Ellis' "run" of 6 issues. I returned once editorial had a long term strategy for the book with Remender, and he's been the best writer of the volume, easily. I'll likely leave the book with him.

I have heard of Remender's success with UNCANNY X-FORCE. The dilemma with that as a run to try is that it is a team book in which I don't actually like any of the actual team members. Wolverine is a character I have went from being devoted to as a child and teenager towards my current state of flux between hatred and obligatory tolerance for. I only find Deadpool funny in spurts and quickly tire of him in a prolonged run. I never liked Fantomex even back when Morrison made him at the turn of the century. I've never cared for Archangel or Psylocke, especially since they both became complicated violent angst machines. And while ideally I would like Nightcrawler, the version I like is dead; the one on UXF is an alternate dimensional counterpart. Buying a team book where I don't like any of the members is usually risky.

That said, if Remender's run on UXF is really this good, Marvel should release it as an Omnibus collection.

Trust me you'll like all of the characters when it's all said and done.

Psylocke was put to her best use since Claremont's early work with her. She became the centerpiece of the team, she did for X-Force what Janet Van Dyne did/does for the Avengers.

Deadpool was less goofball and more noble. Don't get me wrong, the gags are there with DP....they're just a more of a dark humor. He's had some notable moments in the series dealing with some of the teams darkest times.

Fantomex was shown to be a hell of a complex character and next to Psylocke had the next key role in the book. The environment from his past served as the setting for the entire run and he also put things into motion that bridged from arc to arc.

Archangel had one of the most tragic falls from graces in the history of comics.

And that leaves Wolverine. Wolverine really transformed during this series. He started out as the leader that been there/done that but had one of the most astounding metamorphoses throughout the series culminating with the final confrontation between him and Daken. His role you really have to pay attention to because things are sprinkled over the course of the series that all come together in the end. This book along with the work Aaron did with Logan's solo series improved on the character so much.

There was also other supporting characters like Deathlok, Kid Genesis/Apocalypse, the AoA bunch including AoA Nightcrawler. I agree his role in the end was a bit of a let down but other than that I can't recommend this book high enough.

Yeah, It should be a great read even for those who arent fans of the characters. He had an awesome run. Aside from a few issues the art was pretty damn solid too.

Opena and Ribic were so awesome that they were stolen away from the book. :(

Trust me you'll like all of the characters when it's all said and done.

Psylocke was put to her best use since Claremont's early work with her. She became the centerpiece of the team, she did for X-Force what Janet Van Dyne did/does for the Avengers.

Deadpool was less goofball and more noble. Don't get me wrong, the gags are there with DP....they're just a more of a dark humor. He's had some notable moments in the series dealing with some of the teams darkest times.

Fantomex was shown to be a hell of a complex character and next to Psylocke had the next key role in the book. The environment from his past served as the setting for the entire run and he also put things into motion that bridged from arc to arc.

Archangel had one of the most tragic falls from graces in the history of comics.

And that leaves Wolverine. Wolverine really transformed during this series. He started out as the leader that been there/done that but had one of the most astounding metamorphoses throughout the series culminating with the final confrontation between him and Daken. His role you really have to pay attention to because things are sprinkled over the course of the series that all come together in the end. This book along with the work Aaron did with Logan's solo series improved on the character so much.

There was also other supporting characters like Deathlok, Kid Genesis/Apocalypse, the AoA bunch including AoA Nightcrawler. I agree his role in the end was a bit of a let down but other than that I can't recommend this book high enough.

Completely agreed. I wasn't a huge fan of any of the characters of this book before I started reading and really just read based on the glowing reviews of others and I'm so happy that I did. Remender just did a fantastic job of writing each of these characters and blending their personalities into a great team book. I'm so happy to have read it.

The only bad art on the book was the Otherworld arc. The rest was fantastic :up:

I'm not really into that style of art. Same thing with Leinil Yu.

My problem was it didnt really match the rest of the book. The action wasnt laid out too well and came off kinda confusing/sloppy looking compared to the rest of the run. I guess it kinda worked for setting Otherworld as a trippy looking place. Otherwise didnt dig the style much for the story. Kind of a jarring transition.

Last edited:
I can see why they tried to use it for that arc in particular....can't say I blame an editor for making that call. It just fell flat. Should have stuck with the grim and gritty look. They were between artists so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"