• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BOUGHT/THOUGHT July 25th

Red

King Littlefinger
Reaction score
Amazing Spider-Man #542

The conclusion to “Back to Black” or as some know it better: “Shameless movie tie-in that Joe Q won’t even admit is a tie-in”.

Peter is face to face with the man who ordered the hit on his Aunt May, Kingpin. Which the exception of Fisk’s awesome speech that reminds us juts how badly screwed up Spidey’s life is and a brief scene between MJ and Peter at the end, this is issue is basicly Peter beating the crap out of Kingpin.

It's works to some degree. The actions really not there it's just Peter slapping Fisk. But what holds the issue together for me is the two speaches from Peter and Kingpin. JMS nails the characterisation between the two and there's a nice little twist concering Peter's claim about killing Fisk.

Might Avengers #4

Iron Man #20

Wolverine #55

Flicked through in the store and in response to that thread, yes Sabertooth does indeed die.

I'm not going to read the spoilers, but tell me: How was the conclusion to "Back in Black"?

I bought a box of Q-Tips, and I thought they were great.

I bought a box of Q-Tips, and I thought they were great.

Last night, my friend called me to take her to the hospital because she thought the broken end of her Q-Tip was stuff in her ear. It wasn't.

Black Summer #1 - Much better than the #0 which felt forced in some areas.We get insight on who the 7 Guns were,and Horus' origins.Thought about dropping this after #0,but this issue came through in hooking me.

Yet to read...

Immortal Iron Fist #7
Incredible Hulk #108
Doktor Sleepless #1

I've brought my books for this week, but I'm not going to read them until a little later tonight.

For the moment, I'll review what I've just spent the better part of the last two weeks catching up on:

Invincible #1-43

I picked this up after hearing a few recommendations from some of the posters here. Typically, I buy Marvel and DC only simply because I've found the quality of smaller publisher books to be in question in the past (ESPECIALLY Image). But with such good word of mouth I decided to take a risk and go with it.

Wow. Am I glad I did. This comic should honestly appeal to anybody who has any interest in superhero comics whatsoever. Kirkman's really tapped into the same sort of creative energy that Stan was swimming in when he created the Marvel universe back in the 60's.

Good character development, good humor, good action, and good story lines, there was not a single issue of this book that I have not immensely enjoyed.

The only thing I felt bad about was that it was over and after having read so many issues at such a steady rate I have to now wait monthly to find out happens. :D

Easily 5/5.

I bought ZeroKiller #1.

I am a week behind.

I enjoyed it, I love the whole alternative history stories that Arvid seems to love as well (see Rex Mundi) this one instead of being a 1900's Europe where the Catholic Church remained in power it's modern dystopian New York - flooded and full of gangs after a War. I want to read more but think I might stick to it in trades - probably enjoy it more in big chunks. Can't really say much more not like a lot was revealed, except I love the artwork.

Review'd!

Better than I thought it was gonna be, JMS writes an awesome Kingpin :up:

Agreed.

ASM #542
They got thru it without making Pete a killer, and putting the fear in others not to target his family or face death. Still tho there's a hint of a chance he could still kill Kingpin if Aunt May doesn't pull thru. Spidey instead hurting King Pin's pride instead of killing him was a nice touch. Looked painful tho when he pulled and held King Pin up by the skin of his chest tho lol. Just makes me wonder if Pete's hinting at robbery when he mentioned he'd get the money for Aunt May's hospital stay, because that would be way out of character too, I hope he meant asking Iron Fist for some cash instead.

Still overall it had great atmosphere for their fight as it took place in the prison surrounded by inmates. Fisk tautning Parker, and he just stays quiet with Fisk reflecting in his eyes. Then every so once and awhile he interrupts King Pin with a flurry of punches, slowly rattling King Pin. It was a nice build up, and the threat at the end, and how he left King Pin without his dignity when he stumbled off with the crowd looking down on him was nice.

Hulk # 108

Good story, it was pretty much 2 stories running simultaneously. It started off with Hercules on the ground and Hulk going in for the kill, Rick Jones stepped in to stop it but didn't get to Hulk before he stomped the ground sending him back into some debris and giving him time to think. On one half of the page was Rick Jones' story, and on the other half going at the same time it was Miek's story, and both paralleled eachother. Ricks told of how he always was there for the Hulk by calming him down and just being a friend, and Miek's told a similar story of being there for the Hulk but to remind him what he was made for, vengence. Both stories told about pain they had experienced in life, Rick in the orphanage, Miek in cages, until the Hulk showed up.

Then Rick's story switched to how Hulk always hit Rick and even crippled him, but that he needed to be there for his friend anyway. Miek however tried to stop Rick knowing he was trying to calm Hulk down. Then one of the other big bugs (Mung) went off the deep end and slaughtered a lot of Miek's other followers, and Miek then was going to kill him in return, but Rick stopped him saying he would just prove his point. Miek and Rick finally agreed to both help in their own ways, and went their seperate ways with Rick saying, God help them if he can't.

Wolverine #55

Starts off with Wolverine having an argument with Cyclops over Wolverine wanting the Masamura blade back. Wolverine then has Emma read his thoughts to understand why he wants the blade, and Emma ends up seeing thru Wolverine's eye all the blood and carnage and hell Sabertooth has raised, she pukes and tells Cyclops to give Wolverine the sword.

Wolverine then had a flashback of what happened and how he ended up going back to the X-Mansion. He said he smelled something odd, and Sabertooth ran off but he had more important things. He burned Feral's remains, and then talked to Rahne on the flight back. She told him they didn't have their powers, but just looked that way, so Sabertooth killed a helpless girl.

Then it moves on to Wolverine meditating in the snow, and he senses Sabertooth coming up on him. Sabertooth tries to take a swipe, but Wolverine chopes his arm off with the sword. Sabertooth, still more base and animalistic tries to put the arm back on out of instinct, but it falls right down. Wolverine explains that the sword negates healing factors, and says he'll give Sabertooth one more chance to try and stop him. Sabertooth says, "RRRRR....do it..." and Wolverine says he was going to hesitate for a moment, but remember all the women Sabertooth had brutilized and chops his head right off. Instead of burying him he leaves him for the wolves to eat.

Then Wildchild appears and tells Wolverine that Romulus has been the one showing him all the visions. That there is always a blond and dark haired pair and one always dies, and that's how it's always been, and then tells Wolverine that he's the best their race has to offer for surviving what's to come, and that Romulus was the first of their kind. Then Wolverine comments on how Wildchild has blond hair and asks if he should kill him next, but by the time Wolverine swings the sword and turns around Wildchild is gone.

Don't forget that Wolverine calls Cyclops a *****e bag.

X-Men- PICK OF THE WEEK! This is what the X-Men is all about. Holy **** moments where everything goes to hell and you have no idea what comes next. I really would've liked a stronger artist on this arc (how badass would it be to see McNiven draw this?), but Ramos does well enough. 9/10

Mighty Avengers- Bendis and Cho are crafting a massive tale and it's moving at a brisk pace. Very "action movie" style, with a classic Avengers charm. Definitely digging this. 9/10

Black Panther- Man, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this. Sure, the whole "frog" thing is kinda silly, but this is a great FF tale that ties perfectly into the whole Marvel Zombieverse. Oh, and the art rocks. 8/10

Sensational Spider-Man- What an awesome two-parter this was. Sacasa has a knack for Spidey's rogues that few other writers have. This may be my favorite Venom story I've ever read. Short, sweet and dark. 8/10

Amazing Spider-Man- Kingpin gets a much deserved beat down as "Back in Black" reaches its end. Garney really nailed an awesome fight scene. I know there's a lot of people against the unmasking, but this arc really showed how intense it is seeing Peter getting his business done without the costume. Very cool. 8/10

Fantastic 5- Old school fun that isn't too old school. Perfectly captures the fun of classic Lee/Kirby FF. 8/10

Cable and Deadpool- Well, if Brubaker can have a Cap book without Cap, why can't Nicieza have a Cable and Deadpool book without Cable? And when both books are fun, who the hell cares? Great to get a double dose of Ron Lim this month. The guy does NOT get enough work. 8/10

Wolverine- My inherent problem with this issue isn't the same as others have had. Story wise, it's logical, and probably a wise decision:
there are at least two characters that can easily fill the void Sabretooth leaves behind.
No, my problem with this book is the same as Orson Scott Card's Ultimate Iron Man mini: It's an intriguing cliffhanger that may take a long time to resolve. If you're going to do something this ambitious, you should plan a stay on the title. Next arc, Guggenheim takes on a completely different scenario relating back to his last arc. Guggenheim's a good writer, but wouldn't it be logical to have the next arc in come before the one that just ended? 6/10

Onslaught Reborn- I'm an idiot. I haven't liked one issue in this mini, this issue's terribly late and I STILL bought it. ****. 2/10

Wizard- If anyone wants to see Alex Ross make Power Girl look unattractive, check out this cover. Oh, and it's great to see Kingdom Come Superman join the JSA. Great idea, DC. Now more new readers can wonder what the **** is going on in another title. Brilliant.

Why do I like Iron Man as a book. I don't know but I do. It's like a cool spy flick. Not because he's head of SHIELD, but bcause he has crazy doomsday devices now.:csad:

Forgot MA. Was neat seeing them fight so many IM suits heh.

Like Jake said above tho, it just plays more into crazy Tony. Now he has crazy weather manipulating devices he's been spending billions on building for years? Just one more little retcon that has Tony doing secret stuff that leans towards a doomsday/world manipulating device that paints Tony a bit dark. Getting drunk or being a *****e is one thing, but having a device that can cause fires, droughts, floods, and thunderstorms on a world wide scale is another thing.

It was a good comic tho. The team worked like usual, Ms. Marvel suspicious but taking charge, Aries flying off the handle and so on. Pym was brought in, but just to be made to look like an ass lol, with Ms. Marvel saying he can burn in hell in her thought bubble. It also goes more into the "Tony is dead" deal by his suit saying his life signs can't be detected, but I'm more than sure he's going to be alive at the end of the arc.

I won't be able to buy comics until the 4th,:csad:

Amazing Spider-Man #542

The conclusion to “Back to Black” or as some know it better: “Shameless movie tie-in that Joe Q won’t even admit is a tie-in”.

Peter is face to face with the man who ordered the hit on his Aunt May, Kingpin. Which the exception of Fisk’s awesome speech that reminds us juts how badly screwed up Spidey’s life is and a brief scene between MJ and Peter at the end, this is issue is basicly Peter beating the crap out of Kingpin.

It's works to some degree. The actions really not there it's just Peter slapping Fisk. But what holds the issue together for me is the two speaches from Peter and Kingpin. JMS nails the characterisation between the two and there's a nice little twist concering Peter's claim about killing Fisk.

I've read this issue and I thought it was great, and I totally agree with you about the speeches by Pete and the Kingpin. Honestly, I've been enjoying BIB. However, this wasn't the conclusion...there's still one more part after this.

Haha, FadingCB agreed with me about something else entirely. Meaning that Tony just introduced two completely different doomsday devices today.:o

The Incredible Hulk #108: Poorverage

Pretty boring comparison of two pretty boring characters with pretty boring art. Nothing happens either, it's all in-between the action of WWH 1 and 2. Totally skippable

Haha, FadingCB agreed with me about something else entirely. Meaning that Tony just introduced two completely different doomsday devices today.:o

How many doomsday devices does one man need? What a *****ebag Tony is. He should learn how to share. :cmad:

Black Summer #1 - Much better than the #0 which felt forced in some areas.We get insight on who the 7 Guns were,and Horus' origins.Thought about dropping this after #0,but this issue came through in hooking me.

Yet to read...

Immortal Iron Fist #7
Incredible Hulk #108
Doktor Sleepless #1

Iron Fist - Awesome tale about the life of The Pirate Queen.Lots to take in with this very beefy and thick story.We see her life as a kid all the way to the what happened after we first saw her in #2.I wouldn't mind more of these done in ones showcasing different IFs.

Hulk - Sure "not much happens",but a great character piece for both Jones and Miek.Pak shows how the Hulk has changed the lives of both and the kind of effect he has had on them.They both see Hulk as a friend,yet have conflicting views on what Hulk should do to his enemies.With all the SMASH,KRAKKATHROOMS and KRAKABRABOOM going on this title and the mini,this kind of story is needed to keep things from getting over the top.Can't wait to see Frank kill off that damn Mung.

The Incredible Hulk #108: Poorverage

Pretty boring comparison of two pretty boring characters with pretty boring art. Nothing happens either, it's all in-between the action of WWH 1 and 2. Totally skippable

Hulk - Sure "not much happens",but a great character piece for both Jones and Miek.Pak shows how the Hulk has changed the lives of both and the kind of effect he has had on them.They both see Hulk as a friend,yet have conflicting views on what Hulk should do to his enemies.With all the SMASH,KRAKKATHROOMS and KRAKABRABOOM going on this title and the mini,this kind of story is needed to keep things from getting over the top.Can't wait to see Frank kill off that damn Mung.

I flipped through it at the store, and my reaction seemed to the same as your guys'.

Our reactions were different though. He used the word "great." I used the word "boring." And the fake word "poorverage."

Our reactions were different though. He used the word "great." I used the word "boring." And the fake word "poorverage."

He said "Sure, not much happens" and you said "boring". Same difference. :whatever:

He thought it was good

I thought it was bad

Different difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"