Bought/Thought June 11, 2008

webhead921

Civilian
Reaction score
Amazing Spider-man 562- The first Bob Gale issue I really enjoyed. I really like how the enforcers were used. I also really liked the art in this issue. It was nice to see that
someone who is just a talented gymnast can't outrun spider-man.
I thought the bookie was humorous, since he was so pathetic. 7/10.

Trinity- I enjoyed this issue as well. I like how Bagley draws Batman. More action and less plot in this issue. It's hard to rate this issue on its own, I'll have to wait until later to see how well this works 8/10

Green Lantern Corps- This is only my second issue of GLC, and I'm sort of jumping on in the middle of a story, so it's hard for me to evaluate this.

I bought:

BOOSTER GOLD #10
INVINCIBLE #50
CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 #2
THE LAST DEFENDERS #4
MOON KNIGHT #19
SECRET INVASION: WHO DO YOU TRUST?
THE TWELVE #6

Reviews will come tomorrow, because I am very busy right now...:o

Me too! lol nah. I have never read that title yet...though from what I keep hearing, I should,

Bought:7 dollar ticket to Incredible Hulk

Thought:most energetic comic book flick ever made

Bought:7 dollar ticket to Incredible Hulk

Thought:most energetic comic book flick ever made

Note: This review says nothing about the actual quality.

Secret Invasion: Who(m) Do You Trust?: In spite of the disgracefully poor grammar in this one-shot's title, it's better than Secret Invasion itself. The Beast and Wonder Man story was especially good, and it made me miss the days when Beast wasn't a frumpy, cat-looking snoozefest. Skrull or not, the Beast in this story is more alive and vital and entertaining than the Beast we're all familiar with has been in years. I noted a few times before that I wouldn't want Beast to be outright replaced because he would lose a lot of good development, but I fully take it back now. If Beast came back like this, I'd gladly give up whatever characterization has brought him to the point of being so grim and serious all the time. The Agents of Atlas' story takes a close second to Beast and Wonder Man's, with Agent Brand's coming in third. The Captain Marvel and Marvel Boy stories were kind of stupid, but in Captain Marvel's case, it may just be because I don't know Skrullptain Skrullvel too well, so I didn't quite understand where he was coming from with his actions in the story. Marvel Boy's was just outright stupid, though. Oh, and I had to laugh at that newscaster in Captain Marvel's story telling the Radioactive Man that people were apprehensive about the T-bolts because they "lack the moral compunction against killing that most heroes possess." What universe has that newscaster been living in for the last couple years?

The Beast and Wonder Man story was especially good, and it made me miss the days when Beast wasn't a frumpy, cat-looking snoozefest. Skrull or not, the Beast in this story is more alive and vital and entertaining than the Beast we're all familiar with has been in years. I noted a few times before that I wouldn't want Beast to be outright replaced because he would lose a lot of good development, but I fully take it back now. If Beast came back like this, I'd gladly give up whatever characterization has brought him to the point of being so grim and serious all the time.

They wouldn't even need to replace him, just keep all the previous stuff but say he's a happy dude again cause he's getting that sweet green-haired-girl ptang.

Ha, that would work. I liked the idea of Brand and Hank together a lot. Although, I have to admit, I always wished he would wind up with Cecelia Reyes.

No, I think it's from Genext, or whatever it's called. I don't know, I think I just read in an interview that that was he planned to do.

Oh. Well, they're such a good pair that I guess I can still like them together even if Claremont does, too. Grudgingly. :o

Oh. Well, they're such a good pair that I guess I can still like them together even if Claremont does, too. Grudgingly.

Maybe if Claremont's ever made editor or plotter or consultant or something (which I doubt) we'll get to see some of that. I really miss Cecilia. The X-Men issues with her and Bobby on the run from the Prime Sentinels, trying to figure everything out were some of my favorites.

Booster Gold #10

Decent issue, though the "Time-Stealers" don't really seem to have amounted to much here; the JLI easily hands them their asses, apart from Black Beetle; we'll have to see how the final issue turns out, but it's dispiriting that, at this point, Johns & Katz are going with the most predictable of all endings for the series. Jurgens' art continues to be very high quality.

Captain Britain and MI: 13 #2

A good second issue, although it lays on the Wisdom continuity pretty thick here, which is maybe not the best strategy given that that didn't exactly light up the charts; Faiza's (start the codename speculation!) superpower is interesting, though I'm not clear on how her and Dane are going to tie-in to the Avalon invasion at this point. Cornell gives us a lot of action, and fun dialogue that has the right amount of gravity (I really liked Spitfire's description of Excalibur). Leonard Kirk's art on this series is fantastic.

Clandestine #5

Davis' enjoyable revisiting of his old Marvel UK property ends, and while the finale isn't the strongest issue of the series, feeling a bit rushed given the amount of stuff that's packed in here, it's still very entertaining. Davis obviously included a lot of his old plot ideas, so there's a certain unconnectedness to most of what's going on (the three-issue-long visit to the alternate Earth ruled by evil Inhumans, for example, has basically nothing to do with the main plot; it's mostly just a sidetrip allowing Davis to write and draw classic Excalibur against). The series actually ends on a tease, so hopefully Davis has future stories in the works.

Huntress: Year One #3

Newbie writer Ivory Madison is really turning in great work here as the series hits it's half-way point; we're still in Sicily, as Helena finds herself confronting the various people out to steal her inheritance (3 billion dollars), who are the leaders of The Hand (they aren't ninjas, at least, just five Italian guys ranging from the Prime Minister to the leader of the global Italian mafia, the latter of whom, as it turns out, being the man who ordered the hit on her family). Cliff Richards' art is really great; perfect for this kind of project. We see Helena in costume for the first time here (I miss the old Huntress outfit; the newer one is nice, but the old purple is a favourite).

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #3

Iron Man finds himself facing an Excalibur-powered Doom, who is now invincible, and, after some advice from Merlin, races to locate the sword's scabbard, which makes the holder invulnerable. Most of the issue is a battle of wits between the two as they try to work through various traps to find the scabbard; Tony wins, and, of course, it's only then that Doom lets him in on the fact that he needs to unite the two in order to defeat the giant eye that's coming to destroy the Earth (my first thought was of the Eye of Odin from those old issues of Thor, but as I recall Thor tossed that into Mmir).

Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust?

Captain Marvel: Decent story, though I find Marvel's motivations kind of confusing.
Agent Brand: This one was pretty good, though I think the art could have been more suited; I liked the look inside SWORD's workings.
Beast/Wonder Man: I've always hated this dynamic, because Beast invariably gets sold down the river and loses about 100 IQ points any time he goes near Simon.
Marvel Boy: I liked the reconcilation of the events of Young Avengers/Runaways with Noh-Varr's current status (and he gets maybe the best line here).
Agents of Atlas: The only one of the three stories without an scheduled follow-up, it's also extremely strong (shame Kirk couldn't draw it, but he's gone on to bigger things).

Wonder Woman #21

Structurally, this story is still a bit confusing, as Simone leaves implied how Diana got from the flashback in the last issue to the current snowy land of Beowulf; initially it seemed like that blackness transported her there, but now it seems that she and Stalker just teleported there on her magic seashell. Speaking of that, Beowulf brings up the issue of Diana's current apostasy (though her powers still work, so the gods can't be that annoyed), which is good, and Kane demonstrates a nice bit of benevolent deity. And we get a hint about the status of Alkyone. Aaron Lopresti's art is really excellent here (and Diana's got a bunch of really cool outfits).

I'm curious about who's actually going to draw Excalibur now. If Wisdom tried and (thankfully) failed, is Brian gonna come back or is Dane gonna end up in Avalon somehow or what? My guess is Brian comes back and Excalibur re-powers him or merges with him or something.

John the Skrull shapeshifts into Brian, confusing Excalibuer and becomes the new Captain Britain.

I think Faiza; the sword appeared in her eyes in this issue.

Yeah, but the Cap on the cover to #4 doesn't have boobs.

Maybe she draws it and uses it to resurrect Brian? It had reality altering powers before.
John the Skrull shapeshifts into Brian, confusing Excalibuer and becomes the new Captain Britain.
If it were a Bendis comic, maybe. I hope Cornell has a little more respect for magic than that, given that magic could often see through any disguises and whatnot in just about every medium it's been featured in.

Sorry, Marvel's magic has sucked lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"