Bought/Thought 11/19

Okay, judging by Manic's reviews, I apparently missed a couple of comics. I didn't know Angel or Flash came out this week. :huh:

At this risk of derailing the thread yet again....

Try to remember I may not share your opinions and I may not be exactly who you would like me to be, but I continue to do this cause it's something I like to do.

Much better... you shaved... :yay:

I skipped through many of the X-Books because I haven't enjoyed anything X-related (other than X2, which was freakin' great!!!) in over 20 years... I think the "Death in Dallas" storyline circa Uncanny #226 was probably when I stopped caring for the characters and the books. :csad:

And what's with the "House Bunny" poster? :woot: :cwink:

Andwhile I would have loved to hear your Angel review, as I mentioned somewhere else... :huh:... I have yet to watch Season V, so I want to watch it first before I get caught up in the comics (which I do own)...

And you were much better with the nose wiping... I think you only did it once at the very beginning. :up:

Cheers...

Mike :yay:

ps... I have an "I'm just a Bill" tee-shirt and it's one of my favorites... I love SchoolHouse Rock.

Oh, Billy. Really? Twilight? Really? :(

And it's Chris Yost. Often paired up with Craig Kyle. Don't worry, I get them mixed up all the time myself.

I agree with Manic that She-Hulk's cameo was a bit wasted in FF. But, didn't the precident start when a messload of heroes tried and failed to beat C.A.P. last arc?

I scimming through the letters pages of the still awesome INVINCIBLE #55 and came across this interesting reply from Robert Kirkman to a fan which ties into his recent statements about independant comics vs. Big Two, Marvel especially.

Robert Kirkman said:
(in reponse to a fan asking, to paraphrase, how well some of his Image properties would have done had they been published by Marvel in a more competitive market)

"On the flip side, if THE IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN had been an Image comic, it'd be going strong at around issue 25 by now. Marvel can make more money cycling through new series than giving series enough time to catch on and thrive. That's why you'll NEVER get another Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man or X-Men from Marvel. There will never be a new character that will "always" have a series at Marvel. And that's a damn shame. RUNAWAYS is as close as they'll come, I think."

Thoughts on the subject, anyone?

I should indicate that while Image's sales standards are not as lofty as Marvel's (INVINCIBLE sells below 15k per issue and is considered a high seller; more than 15,000 people show up for the average Grizzles game), one of his first Image titles, TECH JACKET, crashed rather quickly due to sales. Granted, Kirkman sort of touches on this by encouraging young creators to "stick with it" with new stuff if one thing tanks.

It also hints that Kirkman & Marvel's split was more bitter than either have said.

Who cares? I got bored with Kirkman as soon as he issued his manifesto declaring that Marvel and DC are everything that's wrong with comics and creators should only work on creator-owned indie projects.

yeah, he went way over the edge there, shame cause I used to think he was pretty cool but now he's like alan moore a good writer that I'd never want to meet or speak to ever.

Who cares? I got bored with Kirkman as soon as he issued his manifesto declaring that Marvel and DC are everything that's wrong with comics and creators should only work on creator-owned indie projects.

Probably the only time I've actually cheered for Bendis.

By manifesto you mean "Crappy commercial to entice writers and artists to jump ship and write crap that no one cares about at Image."

I agreed with some of his points, but thought he came off a little hypocritical as he had worked on many Marvel projects for years, including helping to cement the MARVEL ZOMBIES project and working on ULTIMATE X-MEN for over 2 years (which he ran into the ground single handedly). Especially as now he is a key Image creator/editor type and not everyone will get anywhere near that position. Or wants to.

Plus, I might add Marvel could have canceled MARVEL TEAM UP a good 8-12 issues sooner due to sales but allowed him to finish properly with #25. It is a shame IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN didn't last longer, but at least Slott & Gage have given him (as well as Crusader) play in AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE. That's more than a slew of interesting newer characters from other creators have gotten.

I just think talks to do his DESTROYER series with Cory Walker didn't go well and suddenly he split from Marvel with a lot of sour grapes.

But, at least him staying at Image means I get his books more often. His Image work is better, anyway.

I found his recent statement interesting considering any sales boost RUNAWAYS got from Whedon/Ryan evaporated due to massive delays and even post relaunch it won't be long before the book is in 27k territory that Vaughan managed. If it slips lower, it may not see more than another year, even if digest sales hold.

I don't know, Kirkman seems to lay the blame of his books not selling at Marvel on well Marvel. He never even begins to think about "Hey, maybe people don't like the **** I'm writing." I hate Irredeemable Ant-Man and it seemed to be one of those everyone on the internet seems to love but nobody is buying it book. Marvel Zombies was ok, but the arc that introduced them in Millar and Land's UFF was better, so it wasn't his idea anyway. Marvel Team-Up was fun sometimes, but who gives a **** about Freedom Ring? And Ultimate X-Men, from all accounts, pure unadulterated garbage. Cable is Wolverine?

I liked his MTU and IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN. I never cared for MARVEL ZOMBIES and never bought past issue #1, and I stuck around for 2/3rds of his ULTIMATE X-MEN run before throwing up my hands and giving up. Hearing some reviews about how he ended things, I chose a good strategy. So his Marvel work is about 50/50 for me.

I personally believe Kirkman is a pretty average writer at best. Invincible being the only bright spot on his resume. I can say that safely now that Photojones is banned.

I personally believe Kirkman is a pretty average writer at best. Invincible being the only bright spot on his resume. I can say that safely now that Photojones is banned.

Heh.

I like his ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN, as well. I haven't tried WALKING DEAD or BRIT, which he edits and doesn't actually write.

Kirkman can be fun when he has his own universe to play with. Without it, he can be hit or miss.

Oh, Billy. Really? Twilight? Really? :(

And it's Chris Yost. Often paired up with Craig Kyle. Don't worry, I get them mixed up all the time myself.
I know I'm quite depressed about it myself. :( After all the **** I gave the movie. :(

Okay, judging by Manic's reviews, I apparently missed a couple of comics. I didn't know Angel or Flash came out this week. :huh:
I never know when Angel comes out. It's never part of the Diamond list that gets posted here on Mondays. None of the IDW stuff I buy is (the others being New and Classic Doctor Who). It's on my pull list, though, so it's always a pleasant surprise when I buy it.
I agree with Manic that She-Hulk's cameo was a bit wasted in FF. But, didn't the precident start when a messload of heroes tried and failed to beat C.A.P. last arc?
Good point.

Ironically, the reviewers on Comic Book Club (used to be The Stack) think The Walking Dead got much better when it returned to being about Rick and Carl on the road, alone against the world. I was actually quite happy when the cast was expanding and they were trying to come up with practical solutions about how to live in this new world they'd found themselves in. Now that the book's returned to the tried-and-true formula of survivors wandering through the wilderness trying to reach safety, I'm losing interest a little bit. The new characters Kirkman's introduced are kind of cool, especially that big dude who's a f***ing savage but also a really nice, decent guy, but marching toward Washington in an effort to shut the zombie plague down at its source? Eh... feels a little too Sci-Fi-movie-of-the-weekish to me.

As for MTU, I loved it but I was disappointed that Kirkman gave Freedom Ring so much attention in it. Marvel Team-Up's about taking Marvel characters and pairing them up with other Marvel characters, not creating new characters and centering a whole arc on them. That's what mini-series are for.

Yeah, and Tyrannus was kind of cool, and the Legion of Losers was fun. It was just that Freedom Ring arc that killed any momentum the series had.

After I posted, I actually went and googled War Machine. According to wiki, he was injured in War World Hulk.

And yeah, it seems a strange change. It's not like they didn't have an opportunity to start dropping some hints over in Avengers:Initiative. If anything, that would have created a little demand for his series.

I've never been a War Machine fan, so I doubt I'll pick this up. He seems like such a typical 90s creation.

They did. They were hinting back in "Killed in Action."

War Machine was fairly typical of the '90s, but the strength of Rhodey's character made him worthwhile for me. I've liked Rhodey ever since I first saw him as Tony's pilot and pal in the Iron Man series.

not really, there are some things I love (like Rocky 4) which I know are crappy but love anyway, while there are some great works (a lot of art comes to mind) which I know are great and genius but couldn't care less about.

It is all subjective but I'd say someone that simply rehashes the same thing someone else created with a more modern spin without putting anything new or creative as their own mark is inferior to the originator. Just my thoughts and how I evaluate one creator over another.

Marvel Man- according to millar, yes the hooded man is old man logan +450 years.

I need to really read FF, I've totally been reading Wolverine, But FF has been kinda Meh to me. Hooded Man looks so much more lively than Old Man Logan. So who did Wolverine bone and when did it happen? Was it one of the hikish-looking Hulks descedents or was it from a Hulk that turned out better? I know these things haven't been answered yet but, I'm sure they will be. Any thoughts?

I'm a little confused as to how Dr. Banner Jr. from Fan4 is both the son of Bruce Banner AND Logan, who he keeps calling "dad." In fact, I don't think I want to know. I probably involves some sort of freaky new Ranma-esque Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"