Bought//Thought November 21

SouLeSS

Superhero
Reaction score
Small week for me, 4 books! Amazing, I spent only 13$, and it's been one of the best weeks (imo) that I've read in a while.

What If? Annihilation

This, was amazing. The third to last page had my tearing up a little bit. The last splash page? I want as a poster, now. THIS is how it should have ended. I mean, it did end awesome, but the ending of this was infinitly times better. 10/10.

Action/Tec/Countdown were all good too.

Captain America #32

Another quality installment of the best title currently being published, although this one is pretty clearly a middle chapter. It's got more action than the last several issues combined, and some notable developments, but it's ultimately transitory. Black Widow and the Falcon team up to rescue Sharon from Doctor Faustus, while Bucky also tries to make his escape. This issue is probably the most palpable win for the good guys in at least ten issues, and even then it's only a partial one. On art, Butch Guice is now inking Epting's pencil art, which makes things look a bit different, but no less quality (everything's darker, I think, is the most noticeable change); based on the February solicits, he's going to continue with this to save Epting time.

Checkmate #20

I have to say that for anyone who wasn't reading this series almost since the start, this conclusion wouldn't make a great deal of sense. Pretty much everything that's been going on between the Royals comes into play here, including all kinds of references to past events, and how Amanda Waller played into it. Anyway, "The Fall of the Wall" does indeed see Waller shown the door, after more than one score issues of mainly causing trouble for our heroes. Let the speculation for the new White Queen begin (I imagine her Bishop and Knight are probably gone too). There's also some pretty interesting developments involving the Black Queen's Bishop, Jessica Midnight, who hasn't had a whole lot of background up until now. This continues to be one of DC's strongest series.

Iron Man Annual #1

In which the Director of SHIELD and three super-hot secret agents head to Madripoor to arrange for the unseating of Madame Hydra as local potentate. As you would expect from something written by Christos Gage, there are a lot of references to old continuity, and a very sympathetic portrayal of Iron Man. It's a pretty straightforward story, all things considered, involving Stark arranging for a local figure to lead a revolt against MH, complete with the ole "oops, you're on candid camera" trick. It's a fun story, and the art is pretty good too.

New X-Men #44

"Messiah Complex" hits its fourth installment, and this time the X-Men's junior team join in. Since their archenemies, the Purifiers, are heavily involved, and Cyclops kept this from them, the team (a detachment of it, anyway; Dust, Prodigy, and Elixir bow out, and Armor joins them for the occasion) heads out to, basically, annihilate the Purifiers, since they hate them a great deal. Meanwhile, in the future, Layla and Madrox Dupe #1 are on the trail of that timeline's mutants, who, it seems, have all been confined to big settlement areas, one of them in Brooklyn. Predator X eats someone. And, in a somewhat baffling tactical move, Wolverine's squad (himself, Storm, Angel, Nightcrawler, Colossus) confronts Mister Sinister's combined Marauder/Acolyte force openly; said group outnumbering them by more than two-to-one, and includes Exodus, who could defeat an X-team by himself. The New X-Men, meanwhile, raid the Purifiers' HQ, and find out, much to Hellion's discomfort, that the Purifiers have the Reavers onside, including Lady Deathstrike. Eep. Another quality issue, and Ramos' art doesn't completely derail things, which is the best you can hope for with him; however, it looks so little like the other four artists in this crossover that I'm still baffled why he was assigned to it.

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan #3

Another case of "middle chapter" here, where Havok's Starjammers reluctantly decide to join up with Emperor Vulcan and his forces, in order to defeat the Scy'ar Tal. This part is relatively straightforward, but Yost continues to emphasize the many, many individual instances of bad blood between Havok and Vulcan's forces; the main event here, as Havok himself notes, is still the coup. Once the Scy'ar Tal are dealt with, the real conflict can be resolved. Notably in this issue, the Shi'ar Death Commandos from Claremont's "End of Greys" arc return, and are apparently the "Chancellor's Guard", which sets Rachel off. It's a fun little miniseries, and I really like the art (which, incidentally, would be much more suited to the MC crossover than Ramos' work).

Captain America- PICK OF THE WEEK! This book delivers EVERY month. It's fast paced, it's exciting and I NEVER know what to expect. There isn't a single book like it on the stands. This is the kind of title run that will be remembered as long as the character exists. This is comic history in the making. 9/10

New X-Men- I'm loving Messiah Complex. LOVING. The stakes are high, the story interesting and the crossover well planned. This is everything that "The Other" should have been. "The Other" felt like it was something thrown together at the last minute. Messiah Complex feels like the natural progression of the X-Books of the last year or more. I really thought
Rictor was gonna accidentally be killed by one of the X-kids.
The last page isn't just shock value, either. It's something I never even considered, but ties back to another X-Story from a few years back. Awesome. 9/10

Thunderbolts: Breaking Point- I almost skipped this, since these one-shots are never as exciting as the Ellis/Deodato issues. After reading it... well, maybe I should have. It's not really bad, it's just... let's be honest, it feels like filler. I like that Marvel doesn't disrupt arcs by placing these within the actual title the way DC does, but it's still kind of the same principal. The story is ok, but the art is just alright. I did really like Songbird's plan for tricking Brother Nature, though. That was pretty inspired. 6/10

Ultimate Marvel- Nice little freebie, guys! I cannot wait any longer for Ultimates 3! Even if the story is Onslaught Reborn bad (please, no), at least I get to see MAD knocking it outta the park.

Cap wasn't really up to par last month.You guys are already describing this as a middle chapter?Yikes.

Cap wasn't really up to par last month.You guys are already describing this as a middle chapter?Yikes.

Anyone got Hulk spoilers?Thinking about skipping it since it's another last minute fill in before Herc starts.

Wow my shop pissed me off today. They told me they'd have more of the Messiah Complex 1shot in, as well as plenty of New X-Men, and they had neither. Now, I didn't exactly look too hard and I didn't notice that New X-Men was new this week (they were slacking today cause they didn't expect many people to come, and it's not on my pulllist), but the guy that rang me up said "Yeah, sorry about not having any of the MC 1shots in", and didn't say anything about New X-men. I mean, wouldn't that just make sense?

If you were a clerk for a shop, and you noticed that someone who had asked for the one-shot on a very slow day didn't have the next part of the crossover when it came out, wouldn't you be like "Hey, by the way, did you notice that part 4 was out?"

:mad: Now I gotta take a trip up there friday, which I don't want to.

This is one of those rare "gem" weeks where I don't have a heap of comics to bite into my wallet, and where all the books I got are not only good, but series I enjoy getting, and look forward to every month. In fact the only downer is my LCS didn't have UMBRELLA ACADEMY #3, but I'll go into Manhattan tomorrow for Thanksgiving, so I likely will nab a copy there. I didn't have trouble finding back issues after a month a few weeks ago, so I doubt I will have issues now.

As always, full unmitigated spoilers. But in all honesty, this may be a "Gush Week", and sometimes I find those boring to read. That isn't to say that I can't get jazzed about writing about good comics, I do. Just from a reader's perspective, it seems less exciting than good ol' *****ing. Am I right or wrong? Don't mind me. I spent all night watching anime and not sleeping, so I am rather wired.

And Happy Turkey Day tomorrow for all us Americans.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 11/21/07:

THE SPIRIT #11:
I was missing getting this for a few months, and Cooke & Co. pick up on their core El Morte story from issue #9, with The Spirit still with busted ribs and tasked with taking down his undead, seemingly unkillable arch nemesis. His gal-Friday Ellen Dolan gets a lot of the focus here, seeking out her ex-fiance Argonaut Bones (before she met Colt, that is), who is now "out and proud" for occult expertise, which couldn't come at a better time as Morte's sadistic mother raises an entire army of zombies for him to tear into Central City with. As always with this series, not only do Cooke & Co. write some great stories with the Spirit mythos in ways that are both retro and modern, but they serve as a showcase for Cooke's cinematic style, and you can tell this issue was drawn & written by a guy who used to storyboard for TV. It flows very well. Naturally, in the end Morte goes down, the zombies are beaten and while Spirit didn't exactly beat the bad guy without help, he does survive, as he always seems to do. Many consider The Spirit a woefully outdated franchise, but Cooke & Co. have shown that it can work and does have life without having to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Although Ebony White's not going to shake off those stereotype fears by uttering "Sweet Christmas!" which was Luke Cage's catchphrase (and Cage was the symbol of blaxploitation in comics until, well, Bendis came along). Still, that cover is creepy and with the lack of a promo at the end, this may mark the end of Cooke's major storyline. I knew his time on this book was finite, and likely won't bother with issues without him. Cooke was the main draw, especially after DC: THE NEW FRONTIER. If this is the finale, it went out with a bang. If not, though, I'll scoop up more whenever able.

INVINCIBLE #46: Running about a month or so behind, Kirkman blames it on Comic-Con, and hopefully that means things can kick up to a normal schedule. Of course, each issue takes about 7 weeks to complete, and Kirkman does write another 5 or so books, and edits some more, so, he is a busy bee. Waits between issues of "probably the best superhero comic book in the universe", especially when Kirkman & Image are promoting issue #50 rather heavily, can be hard to bare, but are worth it for as great a read as this is. I say it every month, but it bares repeating: if you like superhero comics, once you're "into it", INVINCIBLE really is one of the best examples around. It mixes all the elements of the genre together in a blend that is both homage and innovation. I mean, check out Rex Splode "doing the Spidey fingers" to shoot out kinetic-orbs from his new cyborg hand on the cover. INVINCIBLE has suspense, and drama, and sometimes a LOT of gore, but it also can be colorful and fun, and few comics can blend both so easily. As with most issues, this is jam-packed with events and while some comics are slow or have "middling" issues, INVINCIBLE rarely does, or at least has them less often than other comics, while still having an endless supply of subplots either develop or be created. It turns out that some fan speculation was right; Dupli-Kate DID survive her battle with the Lizard League via "hiding a copy of herself", or in this case her "Number 0", and telling Immortal the good news before wanting to rush out and stop her brother Multi-Paul from avenging her. Kirkman also allows Invincible to flex his muscles, literally, at a training exercise in the Pentagon with Cecil. All those Vs. Debate Fanboys who gush over the Hulk and Sentry being 100 ton class? Well, Mark's shown benching almost 400 tons, man! Ottley does a great splash page of the machine, too. At least Invincible isn't in "hyper gravity" like in DBZ. He talks with Rex Splode about Eve and the pair team up to stop some new baddies; martial arts time-travelers who go on about a "mission" and swipe the Declaration of Independence to do it! The pair can't thwart the theft because Multi-Paul shows up and thinks Rex had something to do with Kate's seeming demise, and Mark gets to put in some "dopple smashing" moves that'd put Neo to shame. And you have to love names like Fightmaster & Drop Kick; at least Fightmaster is fast enough to impress Invincible, if only for a page. Naturally, seeing Invincible rely on Cecil even more as we build to #50 will make the turn of events even more harsh. And finally, Nolan proves himself "worthy of public execution" as a Viltrumite by kicking a lot of ass. I wonder when Allen will stage his inevitable jailbreak? Next issue promises the return of some rogues from the second hardcover, which means hopefully seeing Titan & his mob is forthcoming. That subplot's been left to dangle a while. And a letter writer shares my sense of disbelief at someone claiming INVINCIBLE would sell better if Kirkman used "Jesus" in vain less in a prior column. Really, that assertation was pretty out there, even in the realm of fanboys. Anyway, so the rest is the usual story. INVINCIBLE is my favorite comic, this was a cool issue, I look forward to more, the only negative is the schedule sometimes being iffy on it. But it is far better than some Big Two schedules.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #32: Still one of the best Marvel superhero books being put out today, as Brubaker & Epting, with new inker Guice, put out another installment in what is arguably Captain America's best run for about a decade or longer, even if Rogers himself has been off the stage for 7 issues now. Thank goodness that NEWSARAMA has ceased, at least for now, titling every article about each new issue, "Capt. American is still dead", at least as of this posting. In an interview there, Epting talks about the death of his daughter and on staying on the book "as long as Brubaker is on it", hinting at riding it 'till issue #50, which would be a run of over 4 years, which is very long by today's standards. Epting also reveals that while he was the biggest voice for "keeping the wings" on New Cap's design, "Ross did the heavy lifting", which I still see as mistake because I feel Epting could have made a much better design. Naturally, things remain as a superhero thriller grounded in the real world, but not by omitting comic book stuff like AIM and whatnot. This could still be considered a "middling" issue, although I would be hesitant to call it so. Brubaker has an odd pace sometimes; issues don't always feel "fast", but they don't seem wasted or too slow, either. Quite a lot does happen here. Bucky resists Fautus' control, as Sharon Carter is starting to try to do likewise, but so far seem to be failing more often than not. Tony Stark orders that Carter's pregancy results are to be kept secret, lest word of "the son of Captain America" hit the streets and make her a target (as well as add more media frenzy to the proceedings). Falcon & Black Widow team up to infiltrate Faustus' stronghold to rescue Carter, but end up with Winter Soldier in their laps. What I like about Brubaker, or at least one of the many things I like about his style, is showcased here; Widow and Falcon talk to each other not only as seasoned pro's, but as people who have been comrades, friends, and fellow Avengers many times. In other words, not as Bendis, Millar, or other writers choose to write similar characters, as immature, petty, jerkwads who seemed to NEVER have liked each other. Epting's art looks different with Guice on inks, but not in a bad way, and I like it. The issue has a lot of fighting, especially with Winter Soldier taking down groups of bad guys despite having his arms shackled with "adamantium-laced withstraints". Now that's hardcore. Of course, Winter Soldier's coolness hardly needs to be proven anymore, but sequences like this work. The villains escape and we know Red Skull's master plot will likely carry on for at least another 3-6 issues, and I do hope things come to a head soon before Brubaker overmilks a good thing. We've had Skull for nearly 3 years now and eventually it will need to end in a satisfying way. It says something when a series can chug along without a beat without their star character, and an overwise mediocre (at best) upcoming costume design is facing less venom than some because fans have faith in the story.

THE LONERS #6: Cebulski & Moline's spin-off mini to RUNAWAYS starring the coolest batch of C-List 90's heroes comes to a conclusion here, and I remain steadfast in my feeling that out of a bunch of mini's to come out of Marvel, I'd love for this to become an ongoing. Cebulski's passionate about it, and has pitched another mini for Marvel, with plans for the Power Pack (as Julie Power is on the team). But only the first issue of this mini sold within the Top 100 if I recall, and the sales don't look encouraging overall. The only way I can see Ceb getting another 6 issues is either because he has pull as a former editor (Marvel owes him for RUNAWAYS, as he edited the first volume, which became a cult hit on the digest market and warranted a relaunch), Marvel will tie it into THE INITIATIVE to milk it more, or because they feel it will sell as a digest. Of course, Marvel keeps spitting out SHANNA books that go nowhere, so I don't see why LONERS can't get another shot. With so much going on with this series, I imagined the final issue would have to be VERY busy to even HINT at tying up most of the loose ends here, and hot damn, was that ever right. Goblin-Hawk vs. Darkhawk, and the entire rest of the team gangs up on Phil in a very kinetic 2 page spread from Moline around the middle of the book. Kudos go to Ceb for remembering that Darkhawk had other suits of armor to use, and Moline actually makes Chris' more complicated looking 2nd costume look cool (I never cared for it). And, good lord, does Phil ever get dog-piled. He barely had a chance, they kicked his ass so badly. The issue has some great lines (especially Chris' opinions of the Goblin legacy) and among the bombshell reveals are that Micky seemingly agreed with Fujikawa to hand over the Loners to them, Phil made a deal with them to exchange Hollow for Namie, and Namie turns out to be an andriod (or cyborg) with the codename of Red Ronin, formerly a giant robot mecha they built to fight Godzilla. So she is Red Ronin 2.0 (or UJ1-DX); talk about obscure, man. But I like it. We have a few andriod teenager boys running around these days (Vision 2.0, Victor Mancha, Machine Teen), so may as well bring in a girl (especially since it isn't like anyone will ever use the LIVEWIRES again). And Mattie Frank, having completed her investigation for Dusk's father, leaves the team, and regrets sleeping with Johnny. Ouch; was he THAT BAD? Phil & Hollow flee to fight another day, the remaining characters try to once again figure out how to balance their costumed selves, and plenty is left to be explored in another mini. I, sadly, am less than sure that another will ever come. I liked this mini more than OMEGA FLIGHT or X-MEN FIRST CLASS, and the latter got an ongoing. During Whedon's first stumbles on RUNAWAYS, this felt like a worthy extention of their universe, like a last bit of the old school. Still, enjoyed it while it lasted.

There, a positive week. And they said it couldn't be done. Weeks like this at least show that I'm not just a super-bitter fan, that I can be pleased by genuine good work.

There, a positive week. And they said it couldn't be done. Weeks like this at least show that I'm not just a super-bitter fan, that I can be pleased by genuine good work.

True.

Even the standard "wedge a bendis comment into an unrelated review" was positive.

;)

True.

Even the standard "wedge a bendis comment into an unrelated review" was positive.

;)

It happens.

Bendis actually wouldn't frustrate me so much if he DIDN'T have some grand accomplishments to his tenure at Marvel, but he HAS, so it makes his continued failures, and attitude, all the more glaring.

For example, plenty of baseball players have "gone cold" during the playoff's. But when someone like A-Rod does, it can bring even more shock and ire.

So no one else picked up What If? Annihilation yet?

Happy freaking Thanksgiving!

Angel: After the Fall #1
G...Gunn...?

emot-gonk.gif

No...

Why...did you have to turn into...

A WHITE MAN???:(

How to review a comic like this? Angel, in the scheme of the Holy Trinity, will always feel like the bastard child to me; not the original masterpiece of Buffy, and not the innovative reinvention of Firefly. I have always vehemently disapproved of the writers' decision to move the series away from its detective noir roots; the moment the gang foot in Pylea, the show was well on its way into a place I didn't care to follow. It also doesn't help that AtS, in a lot of ways, was always the polar opposite of BtVS. It flourished in places where BtVS couldn't. It took the risks that BtVS didn't...and sometimes paid the price for it (SEASON. THREE.). Things that gave me massive happies on BtVS would have felt like pandering, and often did, over on AtS. Ultimately, in spite of its dark moments, BtVS was inspirational. In spite of its bright moments, AtS was depressing. The only things that kept me on this train was the cast of incredible and genuinely likeable characters and the writing which -- even at its worst -- was still vividly stronger than any other TV show on the air short of BtVS Itself.

And it seems, in a display of dubious appropriateness, that the comics themselves will continue reinforcing this thematic lineage, pretty much verbatim. The Buffy comic series open on a literally uplifting note; the cast is more or less stable and adjusted, most anything that could have gone right has gone right. The Angel comic series literally opens in hell; the cast is either barely clinging or already fallen, most anything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong and brought along friends.

In a sense, I suppose I wouldn't have it any other way. This is where Whedon has very naturally and very organically placed this narrative by the end of the show. This is where the story has lead us...and the story comes first. Always. And the story here is good...it's practically awesome. The writing is almost effortlessly strong. I haven't read much from Brian Lynch -- just some other non-canon Angel comics, ironically -- and already he has proven himself up for the task. The twists and turns here are devilishly gritty and perversely fitting; you'll cheer at some revelations and you'll stagger from others...just like old times, really. The demons here even speak in that cleverly sardonic manner that Whedonverse demons have perfected.

And, hell, it's got a dragon. It's got Angel on a dragon. The fanart is already sketching itself out in my head.

Speaking of which...the art here is quite good for any other sort of comic, but it feels a bit lacking in a series where most of the characters are going to be based on real life actors. Jeanty has the same problem over in Buffy at times, but it's way worse here 'cause Urru's shading technique is, like, whoa there sailor. Which, of course, heavy shading is appropriate artistically for the setting of a comic like this, but wreaks all manner of havoc on facial features. Hell, the first time we see someone's face clearly (Gunn when he gets the glowy yellow orb), it almost feels out of place. What's more, Urru's depiction of Nina tells me that not only has he never seen the episodes of Angel where Nina appeared, but also that he's never even seen her actress Jenny Mollen before. Some of us had assumed that she was Harmony before the dialogue in the issue told us otherwise.

Reading this comic is almost like getting reacquainted with an old friend. You've lost touch for a while, and you may not have ever needed to catch up again, and the meeting brings back good memories along with the bad. Just as it should be.

(9 out of 10)

All-Star Superman #9
It's practically a good thing this book comes out so rarely, 'cause otherwise I'd probably run out of ways to say that it's still utterly fun and charming and poignant and skillfully-written.

I don't know if Morrison wrote these Kryptonians as a direct satire of Mark Millar's infamous Superman proposal -- looking down on humans as if they're apes, thinking themselves superior gods, etc -- but that's the way I read it, and I vastly approve. The solution to the problem that they pose is kind of a random deus ex machina -- Kryptonite radiation from what now? -- but the following scenes were just so good, it hardly matters.

Quitely continues to improve in subtle ways and continues to draw the best Clark Kent anyone has ever drawn. And not just that; some of the expressions here are some of the best, well, expressions that any artist could portray. Quitely gets praised and lambasted often in equal measures, but after years of seeing his work I've pretty definitely moved to the side of "praise."

(9.4 out of 10)

New X-Men #44: Messiah Complex Chapter Four
I read a couple pages of this at the store and decided to buy it without reading more, though now I seriously question my decision to do so.

The writing is good. The characters are strong. And, dangit, I like these kids. They're good kids.

But so much here makes me want to bang my head against the wall and never stop. Kyle and Yost have easily, easily become parodies of themselves by this point, if they hadn't already. The issue ends with...another shocking possible death of one of the New X-Men. I just stared at the page in complete disbelief. Are you fcking kidding me? Kyle/Yost, you are mocking yourselves.

Easily the most ridiculous and worst part of this issue, though? Apparently, the shocking revelation that Layla and the Madrox dupe learned about mutants in the future is that...mutants in the future are kept in concentration camps.

Wow, guys. Wow. That's...shocking. If by "shocking" what I actually meant was completely identical to every single alternate future we've ever seen, ever, in every single X-Men comic ever.

Christ. Welcome to the nineties, indeed.

(5.5 out of 10)

The Flash #234
If you like the kids, you'll love this. If you didn't like the kids before, you're not likely to start anytime soon so you'll probably not like this. That's the deal in the nutshell, really, and likely to be the case with this book at least for a good long while. Iris and Jai are obviously going to be playing significant roles in this series, maybe even more than Wally himself, and I'm not necessarily seeing that as a bad thing.

Meanwhile, "The Fast Life" shorts at the end of the issues continue to be fun and beautifully-drawn, practically eclipsing the main title in terms of enjoyability. I look at stories like this, and then I look at creators/editors who sht bricks at the very notion of superheroes being married, and I just want to smack them across the face with this issue over and over again.

(8.3 out of 10)

The Brave and the Bold #8
I can't quite decide if Waid is trying to be cute here or not. There's cuteness and then there's DRAMA. And I don't know if it meshes well together, 'cause I can't tell if Waid is trying to mesh them or not.

Beyond that, it's a pretty good issue, kind of like a...Flash #234.5 or something. And Waid does bring the West family and the Doom Patrol together in this story in a very natural and uncontrived manner, which is more than most comic crossovers can say, which goes to reinforce the interconnected shared universe of the DCU, which I approve of.

And, hell, Waid is witty. Wally's dialogue, the kids' misadventures, Rita's perpetual cheeriness...the man knows what he's doing.

(7.3 out of 10)

Checkmate #20
Brilliant.

The ending does seem a bit rushed, and the plethora of information/revelation we get in the last three pages alone was a bit hard to keep up with; I think this arc could have gone on for at least an issue more. But that's fine 'cause everything else -- the schemes, the characterizations, the action, the drama, the execution -- is pure Rucka excellence. With everything subplot he resolves, he brings up three more to be tackled down the line.

One of the best books in existence, which is a sure bet that of course no one is buying it. Sad.

(9.5 out of 10)

Countdown to Mystery #3
I expected to like the Dr. Fate story here, but I didn't actually expect it to impress me as much as it did. Ths is, easily, the single best "magic hero" storyline I've read in recent memory, much less "magic superhero." There are Vertigo books who don't have nearly this much depth and trippiness and wonder.

And the Eclipso story surprised me, too. It's much better than the last issue; not because it actually rectified any of the last issues' numerous flaws and egregious character assassinations, but because said numerous flaws and egregious character assassinations actually seem to have a point and are going somewhere. And it does seem like not too much lasting character damage is going to be done to Plastic Man which, really, is all that I ask for at this point.

And Cris Allen plays a big role here, and it looks like he'll be playing even bigger roles before all is said and done. And I approve, 'cause I like Allen a lot.

Segovia draws a very effective Batman, in a very Jim Lee sort of way. And Sturges writes him pretty well, too. Not too dickish, but just appropriately driven and practical.

(5 out of 5 for the Dr. Fate story)
(3.4 out of 5 for the Eclipso story)
(8.4 out of 10)

Birds of Prey #112
Another solid and enjoyable one-shot from Bedard, this time focusing on Zinda aka Lady Blackhawk. What else to say? It's solid, and it's enjoyable. With every issue Bedard makes me lament that he's not the official ongoing writer for this book.

The art is kinda iffy at places, with anatomy doing things that anatomy would really rather not be doing, but not too distracting.

(8.4 out of 10)

And now a word from Manic...

X-Men: Emperor Vulcan #3 of 5
Finally, we get to see Rachel's rage! I loved the look of terror in the chancellor's eyes when Ray manifested that blue Phoenix. I also love Alex's reaction, and promise to help Ray get her revenge. There's gonna be a lot of death when this story is through. The kind of death I like in comics-- where the dying had it coming. Also, I love the way Yost writes Ch'od. You just don't expect a series of one-liners to come out of a hulking lizard alien, but here we are.
Random Dialogue Highlight
Polaris: "Can't sleep? What are you thinking?"
Havok: "The usual. Doubting myself, wondering what Scott would do, wondering if my dad is proud of me."
Polaris: "...wow."

New X-Men #44 / Messiah Complex #4
Despite the fact that I love Yost in Emperor Vulcan, I cannot stand it when he teams up with Kyle. Everyone knows I hate their initial run in New X-Men. It's in my signature. They simply couldn't write that book without any of the kids dying, appearing to be dead, or getting really badly maimed. However, I'm following this damn X-Men crossover, so I'm forced to buy this book for the first time since the beginning of 'Nimrod.'

And I'm rewarded for my return to this book with Hellion's death. F***.

The Spirit #11
Don't go, Cooke! I love you, and this issue is a fine example why!
The story of El Morta wraps up in this issue, and what an issue! There were zombies, gay monster hunters, voodoo witches, and a surprising amount of morbidness for a non-Vertigo DC book. Realizing the voodoo spell that brought El Morta back has to be broken, the Spirit's Hawksian girlfriend seeks help from her occult-savvy ex-fiance. They track down El Morte's crazy voodoo witch mom, and take her out in one of those finales that makes you genuinely fear the safety of the good guys-- and with good reason.

She-Hulk #23
I really miss Slott's tongue-in-cheek writing, but my god, David is really bringing the action home! She-Hulk's all-out brawl with the Absorbing Man comes to an end, and it's no surprise who wins. The big reveal we're given in this issue, however, is that Jen has been traveling with a Skrull woman named Jazinda. Who is she, and will this tie into the 2008 Skrull invasion crossover? More important, why is it only 1 out of every 10 Skrulls are actual people, while the rest are mindless warriors who seem to kill for the sake of killing?

Angel - After the Fall #1
Transporting LA to Hell. Didn't see that one coming. We're treated to quite a surprise when we're reminded of just how permanent career contracts are with Wolfram & Hart. Wes' ghost is still working for W&H, and Angel is forced to play by their rules. Connor is elsewhere in LA, running a shelter for protecting humans and demons alike. He seems to have recruited Gwen and Nina (the werewolf girl from season 5 who I would've completely forgotten, had Angel not done the nasty with her during the series finale) to help him out, which is nice. Meanwhile, Gunn has gone back to his roots, and assembled a rag-tag group of OH MY GOD Gunn is white! One of my pet peeves with bad comic colorists is that some of them just don't know how to color in black people. Yes, I said it. Some colorists seem to be afraid to make dark people too dark, and our dark-skinned brothas & sistas become decidedly light-skinned. This exact same thing happened to Monet (who used to be as dark as Storm) over in X-Factor.
All that aside, I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue in this tale of champions gone to Hell.

Heroes for Hire #15
You know, I really liked Humbug. It's bad enough the artist stopped making him look remotely as he should (short and wiry, like Otis), but they completely ruined the character just before killing him off. I can understand Wells not giving a damn about the guy and taking him out of the book, but he apparently hated Humbug to the point of taking him beyond redemption before making Shang-Chi rip his head off. The issue ended on such a downer note, it's like I was reading the final issue in this entire ongoing.
If this book isn't already cancelled, consider it dropped from my pull list. I miss Palmiotti & Gray.

So no one else picked up What If? Annihilation yet?

I did. That Suayan guy might not pencil a pretty face but he's got uber-details on damn near everything else. I'm a little teeved that they played up the early 60s "dumb" Annihilus, falling for Medusa's play with so little thought but hey, the story had to move on quickly.

Yeah, I loved the two-page spread too. Not exactly "THIS IS FOR NOVA CORPS!" but dramatic nevertheless.

Countdown to Mystery #3
I expected to like the Dr. Fate story here, but I didn't actually expect it to impress me as much as it did. Ths is, easily, the single best "magic hero" storyline I've read in recent memory, much less "magic superhero." There are Vertigo books who don't have nearly this much depth and trippiness and wonder.

And the Eclipso story surprised me, too. It's much better than the last issue; not because it actually rectified any of the last issues' numerous flaws and egregious character assassinations, but because said numerous flaws and egregious character assassinations actually seem to have a point and are going somewhere. And it does seem like not too much lasting character damage is going to be done to Plastic Man which, really, is all that I ask for at this point.

And Cris Allen plays a big role here, and it looks like he'll be playing even bigger roles before all is said and done. And I approve, 'cause I like Allen a lot.

Segovia draws a very effective Batman, in a very Jim Lee sort of way. And Sturges writes him pretty well, too. Not too dickish, but just appropriately driven and practical.

(5 out of 5 for the Dr. Fate story)
(3.4 out of 5 for the Eclipso story)
(8.4 out of 10)

Good news, I'll look forward to getting my comics after work.

Any What If? Annihilation spoilers? Don't get my comics till the weekend.

[blackout]Nova comes to earth and yells at all the heroes for fighting each other. Spiderman makes a few quips, wave one hits and a lot is lost. Nova heads to his parents house which is destroyed. Nova then goes to the Inhumans and asks for help, and they came just in time to help. The first wave was just a ripple, and the real wave is comming which is estimated at 10,000x more (I think, can't remember the number), but basically they're ****ed bigtime. The Watcher then breaks his oath and helps everyone saying he feels like a human, and gives them this device that will suck everything that has Negative Zone energy into it and leave it in a void, but the downside is that Attillian is going to be destroyed. Medusa/Blackbolt tell Annihilus this and the location and basically say "Just leave us be, we don't want any trouble with anything other than to just live alone" and he accepts, but the next pannel says to kill them when the moniters go off. Goes back to Reed, Ironman, Cpt America, Nova, the Inhumans and Watcher as they decide that they need to stall the wave for a few minutes so they all get sucked in. Nova volenteers after giving the worldmind up to (I believe Moondragon) someone who it never clearly says. Tony and Steve think it's a bad plan, but they stick it out. It goes to show The Watcher giving a recap of what happened, the Moon exploding, and everyone on earth feeling more like they lost than they won anything. He then gives some kind of a 'recap' saying something along the lines of this is what happened at the last minute and it goes to the last few pages. The last three pages is Steve and Tony basically saying that the Civil War was such a stupid thing to fight over, and that it's been a true honor fighting along side one another. Nova chimes in, and the last page is a double splash page of the three of them comming straightforward all badass looking and the issue ends.[/blackout]

The last few pages though, really hit me for some reason. The art is pretty beautiful, and the dialogue towards the end was out of the park with how good and true it really was.

Brave and the Bold #8 - Weakest issue of this title so far.I don't know,the majority of the issue just came across fairly corny to me,the cameo by Metamorpho was cool though.Next issue should be great though,Hawkman,Blackhawks,Metal Men,etc.

The Ultimates Vol.1 Hardcover
- Had to make use of my 25% off coupon at Borders so I looked for the most expensive book I kinda sorta wanted.Great package,the art on these oversized pages is great,hell of a read in one sitting.This series had me at hello the first time and it looks even more beautiful in this form.

Hawkman #27 - After eating up all the Johns/Robinson,Graymiotti run,I was advised to check out this "noir" done in one by Brubaker and Phillips.Thoughts later.

Thankgiving Leftover Edition:

UMBRELLA ACADEMY #3: More hyjinks from the zaniest superhero-themed work from DARK HORSE since HELLBOY (yes, I know HELLBOY is more about the supernatural than superheroes, but the BPRD battles monsters, villains, mad scientists, etc., so if SHIELD can be included in the genre, so can HELLBOY), or even THE AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD, by Gerard Way & Gabriel Ba'. I mean, even Grant Morrison likes it. The issue has more of the Umbrella Academy, or at least the members who aren't either dead (The Horror) or time-travellers (0.05), battling amusement park death-robots from one of their enemies, Dr. Terminal, who gets a flashback sequence with Rumor this issue. This issue allows some more time with seeing Kraken, Seance, and Spaceboy in action, and the death-robot banter is hilarious. Vanya, the one who seemingly has no abilities save for musical skill, attempts a reunion, but is angrilly told off by Kraken, the bad-ass of the team (despite his seemingly feeble ability to be able to hold his breath indefinitely). The ending has Vanya join the Icarus Theatre troupe after all, in the issue's funniest scene. Dr. Terminal is sort of a cross between Hannibal Lector and a cyborg-mad scientist, and it works well, but naturally this is the Apocalypse Suite, so the orchastra fellows will be the main villains. It is really hard to describe this series if you're not reading it, but it is charming and fun yet still has some dark humor and so on. Glad I'm aboard and hopefully more people are, too.

i really want to pick it up but the fact thats it written by gerard way saddens my soul:(

i really want to pick it up but the fact thats it written by gerard way saddens my soul:(

Why? I know he's a rocker, but the story is actually quite good. It isn't like those KISS ego projects that seem to be published every few years. Give it a try while you can boost the monthly sales.

I really wish there was a Borders here in Canada,.I just got a 25% coupon for this past weekend which I made use of.

And then,I get home tonight to see that they have another coupon for 40% off with a purchase of anything over 20 bucks!Only valid for the next 2 days though,crap.

Any other Borders Rewards members here?

I thumbed through "New Avengers" at Borders today. Suddenly, I realize all over again why Bendis annoys me. The symbiote story is rushed through very quickly as if it was nothing, there's too much cheesecake even for my standards (Jessica Jones, Spider-Woman, and Black Widow all either naked or in their skivvies), and wtf with the ending? The Mighty Avengers are all set to go to Latveria because, for whatever reason, they think Dr. Doom was behind the symbiote attack, then what? Did Cage say, "Hey, the Wrecking Crew and a bunch of B-list villains got together to rob a bank", and get them to invite all their friends to help fight them? Cuz that last page isn't just the New and Mighty Avengers. It's also the X-Men, FF, a bunch of old Avengers (including Thor, who probably shouldn't care about this right now), and, probably because Bendis thought it'd be funny, Howard the Duck.

I thumbed through "New Avengers" at Borders today. Suddenly, I realize all over again why Bendis annoys me. The symbiote story is rushed through very quickly as if it was nothing, there's too much cheesecake even for my standards (Jessica Jones, Spider-Woman, and Black Widow all either naked or in their skivvies), and wtf with the ending? The Mighty Avengers are all set to go to Latveria because, for whatever reason, they think Dr. Doom was behind the symbiote attack, then what? Did Cage say, "Hey, the Wrecking Crew and a bunch of B-list villains got together to rob a bank", and get them to invite all their friends to help fight them? Cuz that last page isn't just the New and Mighty Avengers. It's also the X-Men, FF, a bunch of old Avengers (including Thor, who probably shouldn't care about this right now), and, probably because Bendis thought it'd be funny, Howard the Duck.

It was easily a Strange illusion.

Am I like the only person who noticed the SILVER SURFER was there, too?

It was easily a Strange illusion.

Am I like the only person who noticed the SILVER SURFER was there, too?

No, I did, too.

I didn't catch it was probably a Dr. Strange illusion, because by experience I have grown accostumed to Bendis using characters regardless of current continuity. He WOULD use Thor without any regard to what JMS is doing, Surfer without a care to Annihilation or FF, etc. If he so desired, it would happen. Now, I am fairly certain it is an illusion, after it was pointed out a week ago. But you really can't blame one for presuming the worst of Bendis when it comes to things like continuity, power levels, and characters acting like they have actually met before and didn't hate each other.

I will say Yu drew the worst Howard the Duck ever. I stand by my statement that a 5 year old with one finger couldn't do worse. I really don't know how and why Yu is terrific for the covers but very sketchy in the interiors.

I know Bendis isn't one for doing anything but what HE wants to do (And we wonder why Cage comes off as such an ingnorant *******?), but I don't think he'd do something like that with the Surfer.

I see him screwing over the levels of Strange's power, but not mess with the Surfer. Otherwise, I might have to have his family killed. And I'm just not above doing that, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"